Skip to content

@the Gipper: Trivia Question

The Browns Board
24 7 2.1k
  • Sam never won a ring as a head coach did he???

    I thought that was one of the criteria??

    At any rate, I always liked Sam, I thought he was a good coach.

    I like that golf course Furman has as their home course.....I think it is University owned....first class.

    http://www.furman.edu/golf/news-pictures.htm

  • To be perfectly honest, I posted the question based on what I was told by my co-worker. I didn't do the checking necessary to make the question more specific until later. But.... I'm not really sorry it turned out that way. It made everyone rub a few neurons together to come up with the answer and I thought it was an interesting exercise as well as an interesting fact.

    For anyone who missed it, the correct answer is Sam Wyche. He has multiple ties to South Carolina. He played college ball here in Greenville at Furman University. He was an assistant coach for the Gamecocks at USC and has most recently been involved in local politics in Pickens, SC which is here in the Upstate.

    Ring #1 he got for playing with the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. He coached quarterback Joe Montana from his rookie year to the 49ers' first Super Bowl victory in Super Bowl XVI, hence ring #2. The last minute (34 seconds remaining) loss to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII completes the Trifecta.

    I guess to satisfy The Gipper, the trivia challenge should have read: "My co-worker recently got to try on a Super Bowl ring from the owner of three such pieces of jewelry. One ring was obtained as a player, another as an assistant, and the third as head coach. Who is this individual with ties to South Carolina?" My apologies to anyone who was offended by the wording of the question.

    (I'm sure you'll correct me if I got any of my facts wrong.) 🙂

    @kshutchins said:

    To be perfectly honest, I posted the question based on what I was told by my co-worker. I didn't do the checking necessary to make the question more specific until later. But.... I'm not really sorry it turned out that way. It made everyone rub a few neurons together to come up with the answer and I thought it was an interesting exercise as well as an interesting fact.

    For anyone who missed it, the correct answer is Sam Wyche. He has multiple ties to South Carolina. He played college ball here in Greenville at Furman University. He was an assistant coach for the Gamecocks at USC and has most recently been involved in local politics in Pickens, SC which is here in the Upstate.

    Ring #1 he got for playing with the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. He coached quarterback Joe Montana from his rookie year to the 49ers' first Super Bowl victory in Super Bowl XVI, hence ring #2. The last minute (34 seconds remaining) loss to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII completes the Trifecta.

    I guess to satisfy The Gipper, the trivia challenge should have read: "My co-worker recently got to try on a Super Bowl ring from the owner of three such pieces of jewelry. One ring was obtained as a player, another as an assistant, and the third as head coach. Who is this individual with ties to South Carolina?" My apologies to anyone who was offended by the wording of the question.

    (I'm sure you'll correct me if I got any of my facts wrong.) 🙂

    OK, but, in checking, the same criteria ALSO apply to Dan Reeves. He was a player on the Cowboys 1971 SB winners. He was an assitant coach for the Cowboys when they won the SB in 1977, plus, of course, he was the losing HC of 4 different teams Super Bowl teams....3 Broncos and 1 Falcons....AND Dan Reeves attended the University of South Carolina!!

  • @kshutchins said:

    To be perfectly honest, I posted the question based on what I was told by my co-worker. I didn't do the checking necessary to make the question more specific until later. But.... I'm not really sorry it turned out that way. It made everyone rub a few neurons together to come up with the answer and I thought it was an interesting exercise as well as an interesting fact.

    For anyone who missed it, the correct answer is Sam Wyche. He has multiple ties to South Carolina. He played college ball here in Greenville at Furman University. He was an assistant coach for the Gamecocks at USC and has most recently been involved in local politics in Pickens, SC which is here in the Upstate.

    Ring #1 he got for playing with the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. He coached quarterback Joe Montana from his rookie year to the 49ers' first Super Bowl victory in Super Bowl XVI, hence ring #2. The last minute (34 seconds remaining) loss to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII completes the Trifecta.

    I guess to satisfy The Gipper, the trivia challenge should have read: "My co-worker recently got to try on a Super Bowl ring from the owner of three such pieces of jewelry. One ring was obtained as a player, another as an assistant, and the third as head coach. Who is this individual with ties to South Carolina?" My apologies to anyone who was offended by the wording of the question.

    (I'm sure you'll correct me if I got any of my facts wrong.) 🙂

    OK, but, in checking, the same criteria ALSO apply to Dan Reeves. He was a player on the Cowboys 1971 SB winners. He was an assitant coach for the Cowboys when they won the SB in 1977, plus, of course, he was the losing HC of 4 different teams Super Bowl teams....3 Broncos and 1 Falcons....AND Dan Reeves attended the University of South Carolina!!

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, but, in checking, the same criteria ALSO apply to Dan Reeves. He was a player on the Cowboys 1971 SB winners. He was an assitant coach for the Cowboys when they won the SB in 1977, plus, of course, he was the losing HC of 4 different teams Super Bowl teams....3 Broncos and 1 Falcons....AND Dan Reeves attended the University of South Carolina!!

    But my co-worker didn't try on Dan Reeves' ring. Plus... the hint was, that the correct person wears the ring he got as a player for the Redskins.

  • @carddawg said:

    Yessssssssss!!! I was the first to answer correctly. what do I win?

    please tell me it isn't a bernie kosar bobble head.

    It isn't a Bernie Kosar bobble head. 🙂

    Since I didn't declare a prize, I guess bragging rights will have to do.