Skip to content

Put yourself in his shoes...

The Browns Board
22 13 2.3k
  • @ballpeen said:

    I am not big for mandates thrust upon us, but I myself would be in favor of requiring breath interlock devices.

    Those deals where the car won't start if you blow too high and then have to blow maybe every 30 minutes to keep the car running.

    I really wouldn't see this as any more infringement than the mandated use of seat belts.

    Currently the cost for the devices is fairly high....maybe around $3000, but it could get much lower than that. The hand held units might run a few hundred bucks...stick a chip in the things and get a plug-in on the dash...I bet with volume the cost could get down in the the $500 range.

    You really wouldn't even need to have a check once the car starts. Most drunks get in to the car that way. It isn't very often someone gets in to the car legal then consumes enough booze while driving to become drunk.

    Then set really stiff penalties for those who circumvent the system and are in fact driving drunk.

    Maybe set the interlock for .50 so a person who has consumed some liquor doesn't get in while legal who's BAC continues to rise....

    I think I am going to buy one of those hand held devices...to be honest I have no clue what it feels like at .08. Oh...I have been there and higher, probably nightly.....then maybe not...I just wonder how drunk .08 really is...is it at a point I know I am drunk and know I wouldn't drive and opt for a cab.....which I have done before.. or is it so low I really wouldn't consider myself drunk? It isn't much for me to have 2-3 beers with lunch or dinner...or a couple of glasses of wine. If that is legally impaired...well...Houston, we have a problem, because if it is, I need to reassess my driving or drinking habits.

    Yep...have been meaning to check this out....I may start looking around and conduct a test....maybe even do it one night on the board....is .08 impaired or is it something way less?

    I'll bet it dosen't take much of the moonshine to get over .08. 😉

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I'll bet it dosen't take much of the moonshine to get over .08. 😉

    No, I'll bet not. 😉 Most definitely a beverage to be consumed in moderation at least 3-4 hours before you think of operating a vehicle.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    A drunk driver hit my mother and me 10 years ago, and my mother broke her neck. The next 4 years were a whirlwind of legal matters as well as hospital visits, as my mom had to have a multitude of a surgeries to fix her neck. Her upper spine is now composed primarily of steel and other peoples' bone. Needless to say, she still has terrible problems with neck pain and discomfort. As for me, I was less than 2 inches away from being decapitated by a metal street sign post. For a 10 year old, that's pretty traumatic. I had no lasting injuries, thank God, but I do still recall the terror I felt from time to time. I bring this up not to downplay your experience, but to simply let you know that I, too, am a victim of a drunk driver.

    Although I do not condone drunk driving in the least, I do believe mightily in forgiveness as well as in second chances. I believe everybody makes mistakes, and Stallworth is human just like everyone else. I believe that, ultimately, people are not judged by their moral and/or societal indiscretions but by what they choose to do with the second chances they are given. Stallworth has earned a shot at redemption not because he's a football star, or a multi-millionaire but simply because he's a human being.

    You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, and I respect whatever opinion you may have. But, as the thread title states, try to put yourself in his shoes. That's all anyone asks.

    Well, see mine just happened recently so you can understand my anger. My question to you is what if the case is that its the guys eighth DUI. I just really feel like the guy is a waste for one and the system is crap.

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    Well, see mine just happened recently so you can understand my anger. My question to you is what if the case is that its the guys eighth DUI. I just really feel like the guy is a waste for one and the system is crap.

    Well, if that's the case, then he obviously hasn't learned his lesson.