Skip to content

Rogers for Kolb???

The Browns Board
23 19 2.7k
  • I only see us trading Rodgers if we know we can get Suh or Gerald McCoy.

    @thaak said:

    I only see us trading Rodgers if we know we can get Suh or Gerald McCoy.

    I agree with trading Rogers,I don't know if I would trade him for Kolb.

  • @riffer-x said:

    First off, RODGERS is a QB that plays for the Packers. ROGERS is a badass dlineman we need to play at DE more.

    I'm not into the Kolb fascination myself. If they were to let him go it wouldn't be cheap but still the fact they would let him go with an aging McNabb means they don't think that highly of him.

    He is no more proven than Queen but probably a little more accurate.

    I understand what you are saying about releasing him(trading), but i also think you have to look at it a different way.

    First, Mcnabb isn't ready for the scrap heap just yet. As easily as we can say he will get injured, we can just as easily say he won't get injured.

    It isn't beyond reason to think McNabb has 2-3 more years of playing time....time at a fairly high level, so do you keep Kolb who won't help you for 2-3 years or do you bring in a guy who will help you during that 2-3 year span??

    As close as Philly is to making a legit run, I think the odds are they could seek immediate help and roll the dice they can find another qb in wait over the next couple of seasons, so i don't think them trading Kolb is a reflection Philly really doesn't think he is a good player.

    @ballpeen said:

    I understand what you are saying about releasing him(trading), but i also think you have to look at it a different way.

    First, Mcnabb isn't ready for the scrap heap just yet. As easily as we can say he will get injured, we can just as easily say he won't get injured.

    It isn't beyond reason to think McNabb has 2-3 more years of playing time....time at a fairly high level, so do you keep Kolb who won't help you for 2-3 years or do you bring in a guy who will help you during that 2-3 year span??

    As close as Philly is to making a legit run, I think the odds are they could seek immediate help and roll the dice they can find another qb in wait over the next couple of seasons, so i don't think them trading Kolb is a reflection Philly really doesn't think he is a good player.

    The GOOD news is they now have Phil Savage evaluating talent over there in Philly. In case anyone forgot Savage's claim to fame in Cleveland was "I'm was hired by Lerner because the Browns need to draft better and rebuild continuity through the draft."

    Then he starts us off with Trent Dilfer, drafts Charlie Frye and picks up a FA QB with an October expiration date. But it got even more outrageous when he traded away all but 5 picks in 2008 and all but 4 picks for 2009. Phil, why did you tell us you were here again? Shall we brainstorm the RARE free agents he hand picked that didn't land on IR? Fraley and Steinbach might be the only 2. Otherwise we lost Rogers, Robaire, Joe J, Bentley, Stewart, Peek-a-boo-boo, Rex Tucker, McKinney, Hadnot, Washington, DA, and others. While McGinest didn't land on IR - it sure seemed like he wore blue jeans to alot of football games. That's the STING when heavy cap hits with alot of mileage and wear and tear on them can't answer the bell and you've given away all your draft picks.

    I don't think Savage would know a good QB if he saw one so I'm sure he's having trouble telling the difference between his 3 QBs at this time. The good news is I think there might be some QBs in this draft that can equate to Kevin Kolb's ability or exceed it without us having to give up Rogers in the process. At 1 time I would have welcomed this idea BUT the reality is why give up a proven player for a guy Philly felt less comfort in playing than Michael Vick? McNabb ain't coming here especially if he feels deep down he only has 1 or 2 good years remaining.

    I'm WITH that school of thought that thinks we should move Rogers out to DE with Rubin playing as well as he played. Another rationale behind that was Schaeferling looked good backing up Rubin.

    How's this for a front 7 (rotation subs)? I don't think we'll be as traditional with strongside LBer and weakside LBer if the goal is to break out more 46 packages. I mean could anyone tell the difference between Wilber Marshall and Otis Wilson when it came to knocking QBs out of games vrs worrying about who had the TE? Trust me when I tell you they were used interchangeably. When you see Wimbley with a hand on the ground, you're seeing him asked to play Richard Dent in the Ryan family tree of defense.

    LDE - C. Williams (C. Mosely) NT - A. Rubin (B. Schaeferling/R. Smith) RDE - S. Rogers (R. Smith)

    LOLB - K. Wimbley (M. Benard) LILB - D. Bowens (E. Barton/B. Costanzo) RILB - D. Jackson (K. Maiva) ROLB - M. Roth (D. Veikune/A. Hall)

    Again, without going too nuts on strongside/weakside gaagaa - you look at the names and they're getting alot more attractive to us as fans. That's some pretty good hocus pocus in 1 year's evolution folks. Why knee jerk to part with any of it?

    - Tom F.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I understand what you are saying about releasing him(trading), but i also think you have to look at it a different way.

    First, Mcnabb isn't ready for the scrap heap just yet. As easily as we can say he will get injured, we can just as easily say he won't get injured.

    It isn't beyond reason to think McNabb has 2-3 more years of playing time....time at a fairly high level, so do you keep Kolb who won't help you for 2-3 years or do you bring in a guy who will help you during that 2-3 year span??

    As close as Philly is to making a legit run, I think the odds are they could seek immediate help and roll the dice they can find another qb in wait over the next couple of seasons, so i don't think them trading Kolb is a reflection Philly really doesn't think he is a good player.

    The GOOD news is they now have Phil Savage evaluating talent over there in Philly. In case anyone forgot Savage's claim to fame in Cleveland was "I'm was hired by Lerner because the Browns need to draft better and rebuild continuity through the draft."

    Then he starts us off with Trent Dilfer, drafts Charlie Frye and picks up a FA QB with an October expiration date. But it got even more outrageous when he traded away all but 5 picks in 2008 and all but 4 picks for 2009. Phil, why did you tell us you were here again? Shall we brainstorm the RARE free agents he hand picked that didn't land on IR? Fraley and Steinbach might be the only 2. Otherwise we lost Rogers, Robaire, Joe J, Bentley, Stewart, Peek-a-boo-boo, Rex Tucker, McKinney, Hadnot, Washington, DA, and others. While McGinest didn't land on IR - it sure seemed like he wore blue jeans to alot of football games. That's the STING when heavy cap hits with alot of mileage and wear and tear on them can't answer the bell and you've given away all your draft picks.

    I don't think Savage would know a good QB if he saw one so I'm sure he's having trouble telling the difference between his 3 QBs at this time. The good news is I think there might be some QBs in this draft that can equate to Kevin Kolb's ability or exceed it without us having to give up Rogers in the process. At 1 time I would have welcomed this idea BUT the reality is why give up a proven player for a guy Philly felt less comfort in playing than Michael Vick? McNabb ain't coming here especially if he feels deep down he only has 1 or 2 good years remaining.

    I'm WITH that school of thought that thinks we should move Rogers out to DE with Rubin playing as well as he played. Another rationale behind that was Schaeferling looked good backing up Rubin.

    How's this for a front 7 (rotation subs)? I don't think we'll be as traditional with strongside LBer and weakside LBer if the goal is to break out more 46 packages. I mean could anyone tell the difference between Wilber Marshall and Otis Wilson when it came to knocking QBs out of games vrs worrying about who had the TE? Trust me when I tell you they were used interchangeably. When you see Wimbley with a hand on the ground, you're seeing him asked to play Richard Dent in the Ryan family tree of defense.

    LDE - C. Williams (C. Mosely) NT - A. Rubin (B. Schaeferling/R. Smith) RDE - S. Rogers (R. Smith)

    LOLB - K. Wimbley (M. Benard) LILB - D. Bowens (E. Barton/B. Costanzo) RILB - D. Jackson (K. Maiva) ROLB - M. Roth (D. Veikune/A. Hall)

    Again, without going too nuts on strongside/weakside gaagaa - you look at the names and they're getting alot more attractive to us as fans. That's some pretty good hocus pocus in 1 year's evolution folks. Why knee jerk to part with any of it?

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    LDE - C. Williams (C. Mosely) NT - A. Rubin (B. Schaeferling/R. Smith) RDE - S. Rogers (R. Smith)

    LOLB - K. Wimbley (M. Benard) LILB - D. Bowens (E. Barton/B. Costanzo) RILB - D. Jackson (K. Maiva) ROLB - M. Roth (D. Veikune/A. Hall)

    Again, without going too nuts on strongside/weakside gaagaa - you look at the names and they're getting alot more attractive to us as fans. That's some pretty good hocus pocus in 1 year's evolution folks. Why knee jerk to part with any of it?

    - Tom F.

    i like it Tom. we finally have good front 7 depth now. due to this, the only suggestion i have is inserting Kenyon Coleman in place of C. Williams @ LDE...which also conveniently frees him up for a potential Kolb trade.

    as you know, i am also a proponent of Rogers getting more reps @ DE (and wish RAC was too, about 32 games ago) and like him A LOT more than CW in our 3-4. Rogers might even be versatile enough to play at either end, depending on the matchup, scheme, and approach for each game.

    here's my take on the article:

    Kolb for our #1? hell no. for McNabb? still undecided.

    Kolb for Rogers? dangle C. Williams and a 4th first. absolute last resort, and that's only if MH, Heckert, EM, and Daboll are completely sold on him.

    McNabb for Rogers? see above Kolb for Rogers.

    someone suggested Kolb for Rogers and our 3rd? i wouldn't. our 3rd is a super high 2nd to me and is too valuable imo--i bet we get a great player with it.

    if Kolb looked like Favre in Atlanta i obviously would though.