Skip to content

Survey Monday Feb 15

The Browns Board
44 19 3.9k
  • being in the army in my 20's and driving moving trucks till a couple of years ago i've seen a great deal of not only this country but the world, and i've got to say colorado has got to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. drove out to telluride a couple of years ago by myself in a busted old 26' truck and man, it was a life changing experience. but then again i don't mind the north and the changing seasons. i don't know if i could handle the same weather everyday. especially after retiring. fall into a lull and die. maybe the best thing to do is buy a freakin winnebago and go where you want, when you want. (too bad you couldn't fly it over to germany where i was at. i would move there in a heartbeat. best looking women in the world, and the best beer! and it's close to italy, swtz and AMSTERDAM!) hey gip: good luck with whatever you decide to do!

  • being in the army in my 20's and driving moving trucks till a couple of years ago i've seen a great deal of not only this country but the world, and i've got to say colorado has got to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. drove out to telluride a couple of years ago by myself in a busted old 26' truck and man, it was a life changing experience. but then again i don't mind the north and the changing seasons. i don't know if i could handle the same weather everyday. especially after retiring. fall into a lull and die. maybe the best thing to do is buy a freakin winnebago and go where you want, when you want. (too bad you couldn't fly it over to germany where i was at. i would move there in a heartbeat. best looking women in the world, and the best beer! and it's close to italy, swtz and AMSTERDAM!) hey gip: good luck with whatever you decide to do!

    @miktoxic said:

    being in the army in my 20's and driving moving trucks till a couple of years ago i've seen a great deal of not only this country but the world, and i've got to say colorado has got to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. drove out to telluride a couple of years ago by myself in a busted old 26' truck and man, it was a life changing experience. but then again i don't mind the north and the changing seasons. i don't know if i could handle the same weather everyday. especially after retiring. fall into a lull and die. maybe the best thing to do is buy a freakin winnebago and go where you want, when you want. (too bad you couldn't fly it over to germany where i was at. i would move there in a heartbeat. best looking women in the world, and the best beer! and it's close to italy, swtz and AMSTERDAM!) hey gip: good luck with whatever you decide to do!

    Well, here are the issues with what you say: I have done a lot of traveling, and would like to continue to do a lot of traveling, but the fact is, traveling, while fun, can also be fairly wearying. Especially so as you get older. I can't roll all day down the highway the way I used to. Even 5 years ago I took trips where I would put upwards of 3000 miles on a rental car in a week or 10 days. I don't think I really want to do that now. I would be too wiped out to enjoy the travel.

    And the other thing is, yes, I like the seasons, but I am about fed up with struggling with ice and snow just to get around.

    I wouldn't mind a location that gets a little snow, but this 2 feet of snow that sticks around for a month is a big PITA. My neighbors elderly mother just fell and broke her hip on the ice. I really don't want that happening to me when I get about 70.

    I know I complained about the summers in Fla. and South Carolina, which are bad. But one thing about them: You don't have to shovel sunshine.

  • You should try Google Earth, and zoom in on these areas - it would give you a great idea of how close they are to the coast.

    I think we should all go tailgate this winter at Ms. Hutchins' yard, somebody just has to think of a great excuse and get her permission. GGG

    (My wonderful cute Wife got ANOTHER SNOW DAY today. It's GREAT ! But the snow is so deep, you can't really walk out to the barn...)

    @calfoxwc said:

    I think we should all go tailgate this winter at Ms. Hutchins' yard, somebody just has to think of a great excuse and get her permission. GGG

    Eh?

  • @kshutchins said:

    Columbia, SC is THE WORST. I wouldn't want to live their either. It's hot, humid, and miserable in the summers. I'd still recommend Greenville. It has a whole different feel than the rest of the state.

    Sounds to me like a little parochialism rearing its head. Kind of like us saying "who the hell would want to live in Pittsburgh, its the worst".

    Are you trying to tell me that the heat and humidity they get in Columbia in the summers is no where to be found 75 miles up the road? And you don't get snow? If that is so, indeed, it must be a paradise. Somehow, I am skeptical.

    So, what are you: a Gamecock or a Tiger?

    @the-gipper said:

    Sounds to me like a little parochialism rearing its head. Kind of like us saying "who the hell would want to live in Pittsburgh, its the worst".

    Are you trying to tell me that the heat and humidity they get in Columbia in the summers is no where to be found 75 miles up the road? And you don't get snow? If that is so, indeed, it must be a paradise. Somehow, I am skeptical.

    So, what are you: a Gamecock or a Tiger?

    We get hot weather in the summer but it does not compare with the humidity and discomfort in Columbia. Besides, we're an easy 30-60 minutes from the cool, refreshing mountains. In fact, if you live in northern Greenville County, you'd be living in the cool mountains.

    We got three inches of snow one day this winter. It melted the next day. We usually have ice or snow once or twice a winter and everyone stays in until it melts which is usually the next day. This has been an uncharacteristically chilly winter so I've actually worn one of my two warm sweaters. Because Greenville is in the foothills, we're protected from most of the severe weather.

    The next time you're in Columbia, take a drive to the northwest (Greenville's a little more than 2 hours away) and take a look.

    My younger son graduated from USC (South Carolina) so I guess you'd say we have Gamecock leanings (he can attest to the miserable Columbia temperatures). My older son is a Hokie. We grudgingly tolerate the Clemson folk.