Chief Wahoo Curses Cleveland Yet Again
-
Well, in case you didn't know, in essence the Cleveland Browns name is a reference to the color of a black man's skin. The Browns are supposed to be named "in honor" of Joe Louis aka The Brown Bomber. Now, why do you think he was called the Brown Bomber? Because of the color of his skin.
Why don't we just have the Cavs change their name to the Causcasians. Then we could have most ethnic groups represented in this town.
Wait a minute. I thought that the Browns were named after their first coach the legendary Paul Brown. I assume you are being facetious.
Wait a minute. I thought that the Browns were named after their first coach the legendary Paul Brown. I assume you are being facetious.
No, I wasn't being facetious at all (except about the "Cavaliers" name change). And no, officially, as I understand, the Browns are supposed to be named after Joe Louis, the "Brown Bomber".
-
One popular myth is that the team was named after the popular boxing champion, Joe Louis, "The Brown Bomber." The truth, according to several published reports, is this:
When owner Arthur McBride brought an AAFC team to Cleveland in 1945, he held a newspaper contest to name the team and offered a $1,000 war bond to the winner. Most of the entries submitted wanted the name Browns, because the extremely popular Paul Brown was the team's head coach.
Coach Brown thought it wouldn't be proper to name the team after him, and the entry "Panthers" was selected. A few weeks later, a man approached McBride and said he owned a semi-pro team in the 20's called the Cleveland Panthers and he still owned the rights to the name.
McBride could have bought the man off but Brown vetoed the idea. The coach didn't want the new team to be associated with a losing franchise. Instead of holding a new contest, Brown reluctantly agreed to name the team Browns. But, in sticking with his original ideals, Brown suggested publicly that since Louis was "The Brown Bomber", that was how the team got its name. Not a single entry in the contest listed Louis or his nickname as a reason for choosing "Browns."
Read more: How did the Cleveland Browns get their name? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/8962#ixzz0uKIFr9Hn
The answer is: yes, the Browns probably are unofficially named after Paul Brown, but officially, at least ab initio per PB himself, they were named after Joe Louis.
What I have always contended is that what Randy Lerner should do is come out officially and state that the name Cleveland Browns is declared to officially be in honor of Paul Brown, Jim Brown, and Joe Louis, and put a statue in front of the stadium for all three men. (of course, he is too interested in putting one up for his dad. That's fine, but I think he should do what I just suggested as well).
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login