Skip to content

McCoy Signed

The Browns Board
108 30 7.8k
  • I also don't understand why people root for college teams when they have no real connection to the school. It doesn't make a lot of sense especially in Ohio since there are two pro teams to choose from.

    @samoth said:

    I also don't understand why people root for college teams when they have no real connection to the school. It doesn't make a lot of sense especially in Ohio since there are two pro teams to choose from.

    😆 People root for Ohio State because they're the regional PRO college football team. Compared to the other Ohio colleges, they're the 600 pound gorilla of football competing on the highest level, you're never going to see a MAC school competing for the national championship. Ohio State on the college level (especially since Tressel took over) is what the Browns used to be on the pro level back in the 50s and 60s. Now you could consider people that live outside of Columbus and never went to the school frontrunners, and that's OK to each their own.

    BTW, I don't root for OSU's Basketball with anywhere near the same intensity.

  • i really hope that Ohio U. pulls the upset of the century over the buckeyes this fall. that would make my year. it would be like watching the browns beat the steelers last season.

  • I guess if anyone can root for OSU then why not OU? They have Ohio in the name? People from Ohio play for them? They are named after your state? why not trade in red jerseys for green?

    @feartheroo said:

    I guess if anyone can root for OSU then why not OU? They have Ohio in the name? People from Ohio play for them? They are named after your state? why not trade in red jerseys for green?

    "Your state?" If you go to Akron, Ohio is your state too.

    And, FYI, if and when Ohio U. is in some kind of a big game, I do root for them. I believe just earlier this year they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, didn't they. Beat Georgetown if I recall.

    I may not "root" for them if they are playing a MAC game against Akron or KSU, but vs. an outside team, absolutely I am in their corner. And sure, it would be fine if Ohio U. got a little more run, but OSU just has a much higher profile.

  • Let's face it also. The Big Ten is a much higher profile conference than the MAC. The MAC does not get an automatic BCS berth, the Big Ten does. Plus, overall, the size of the schools in the Big Ten are generally bigger than the MAC (but not as much larger as I originally believed before I did the following research:

    Big Ten Student populations:

    Illinois: 31,000

    Indiana: 31,000

    Iowa: 21,000

    Michigan: 26,000

    Mich. St.: 36,000

    Minnesota: 38,000

    Northwestern: 8200

    Ohio St.: 40,000

    Penn St.: 38,000

    Purdue: 31,000

    Wisconsin: 29,000

    Nebraska: 18,000

    MAC Student populations:

    Akron: 28,000

    Bowling Green: 19,000

    Buffalo: 28,000

    Kent State: 25,500

    Miami: 20,000 (though when my son applied there they said there were only 14K...so who knows about these numbers)

    Ohio U: 20,500

    Ball St: 20,000

    Cent. Mich: 27,000

    East. Mich: 23,000

    West. Mich: 25,000

    No. Ill. : 25,000

    Toledo: 21,500

    The oddity here is Northwestern. A smaller private school with a much higher academic profile in amongst the larger state schools. It seems to me that NW would be better off in a conference that would be made up of similar schools. Private with high academic profiles including the likes of Notre Dame, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Rice, Wake Forest, and maybe Georgetown and Stanford. Call it the "Big Brain" Conference.

  • @samoth said:

    I also don't understand why people root for college teams when they have no real connection to the school. It doesn't make a lot of sense especially in Ohio since there are two pro teams to choose from.

    😆 People root for Ohio State because they're the regional PRO college football team. Compared to the other Ohio colleges, they're the 600 pound gorilla of football competing on the highest level, you're never going to see a MAC school competing for the national championship. Ohio State on the college level (especially since Tressel took over) is what the Browns used to be on the pro level back in the 50s and 60s. Now you could consider people that live outside of Columbus and never went to the school frontrunners, and that's OK to each their own.

    BTW, I don't root for OSU's Basketball with anywhere near the same intensity.

    @hoorta said:

    😆 People root for Ohio State because they're the regional PRO college football team. Compared to the other Ohio colleges, they're the 600 pound gorilla of football competing on the highest level, you're never going to see a MAC school competing for the national championship. Ohio State on the college level (especially since Tressel took over) is what the Browns used to be on the pro level back in the 50s and 60s. Now you could consider people that live outside of Columbus and never went to the school frontrunners, and that's OK to each their own.

    BTW, I don't root for OSU's Basketball with anywhere near the same intensity.

    Then why do people in Florida not all root for Florida? There are a lot of Flordia State and Miami fans out there.

  • @feartheroo said:

    I guess if anyone can root for OSU then why not OU? They have Ohio in the name? People from Ohio play for them? They are named after your state? why not trade in red jerseys for green?

    "Your state?" If you go to Akron, Ohio is your state too.

    And, FYI, if and when Ohio U. is in some kind of a big game, I do root for them. I believe just earlier this year they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, didn't they. Beat Georgetown if I recall.

    I may not "root" for them if they are playing a MAC game against Akron or KSU, but vs. an outside team, absolutely I am in their corner. And sure, it would be fine if Ohio U. got a little more run, but OSU just has a much higher profile.

    @the-gipper said:

    "Your state?" If you go to Akron, Ohio is your state too.

    And, FYI, if and when Ohio U. is in some kind of a big game, I do root for them. I believe just earlier this year they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, didn't they. Beat Georgetown if I recall.

    I may not "root" for them if they are playing a MAC game against Akron or KSU, but vs. an outside team, absolutely I am in their corner. And sure, it would be fine if Ohio U. got a little more run, but OSU just has a much higher profile

    .

    No I'm from PA, so Ohio is not my state...

  • @hoorta said:

    😆 People root for Ohio State because they're the regional PRO college football team. Compared to the other Ohio colleges, they're the 600 pound gorilla of football competing on the highest level, you're never going to see a MAC school competing for the national championship. Ohio State on the college level (especially since Tressel took over) is what the Browns used to be on the pro level back in the 50s and 60s. Now you could consider people that live outside of Columbus and never went to the school frontrunners, and that's OK to each their own.

    BTW, I don't root for OSU's Basketball with anywhere near the same intensity.

    Then why do people in Florida not all root for Florida? There are a lot of Flordia State and Miami fans out there.

    @samoth said:

    Then why do people in Florida not all root for Florida? There are a lot of Flordia State and Miami fans out there.

    Florida State and Miami are elite football schools that play at a high level. Hows the following for Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International probably not very good. We have but one elite college football div.1 program in Ohio and thats why everyone follows the Buckeyes.

  • @samoth said:

    Then why do people in Florida not all root for Florida? There are a lot of Flordia State and Miami fans out there.

    Florida State and Miami are elite football schools that play at a high level. Hows the following for Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International probably not very good. We have but one elite college football div.1 program in Ohio and thats why everyone follows the Buckeyes.

    nmills said:

    Florida State and Miami are elite football schools that play at a high level. Hows the following for Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International probably not very good. We have but one elite college football div.1 program in Ohio and thats why everyone follows the Buckeyes.

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

  • nmills said:

    Florida State and Miami are elite football schools that play at a high level. Hows the following for Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International probably not very good. We have but one elite college football div.1 program in Ohio and thats why everyone follows the Buckeyes.

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    @samoth said:

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    You are saying things like this just to be a dick aren't you?

    If you’ve followed them your whole life, you are not a bandwaggoner.

    The reason most Ohioans who follow college football, follow the Buckeyes for their life, is because the Buckeyes are the premier college program in Ohio. Its what is on TV every Saturday.

  • nmills said:

    Florida State and Miami are elite football schools that play at a high level. Hows the following for Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International probably not very good. We have but one elite college football div.1 program in Ohio and thats why everyone follows the Buckeyes.

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    @samoth said:

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    I wore buckeye onesies, I'm a bandwagonner for the best dam band in the land

  • Let's face it also. The Big Ten is a much higher profile conference than the MAC. The MAC does not get an automatic BCS berth, the Big Ten does. Plus, overall, the size of the schools in the Big Ten are generally bigger than the MAC (but not as much larger as I originally believed before I did the following research:

    Big Ten Student populations:

    Illinois: 31,000

    Indiana: 31,000

    Iowa: 21,000

    Michigan: 26,000

    Mich. St.: 36,000

    Minnesota: 38,000

    Northwestern: 8200

    Ohio St.: 40,000

    Penn St.: 38,000

    Purdue: 31,000

    Wisconsin: 29,000

    Nebraska: 18,000

    MAC Student populations:

    Akron: 28,000

    Bowling Green: 19,000

    Buffalo: 28,000

    Kent State: 25,500

    Miami: 20,000 (though when my son applied there they said there were only 14K...so who knows about these numbers)

    Ohio U: 20,500

    Ball St: 20,000

    Cent. Mich: 27,000

    East. Mich: 23,000

    West. Mich: 25,000

    No. Ill. : 25,000

    Toledo: 21,500

    The oddity here is Northwestern. A smaller private school with a much higher academic profile in amongst the larger state schools. It seems to me that NW would be better off in a conference that would be made up of similar schools. Private with high academic profiles including the likes of Notre Dame, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Rice, Wake Forest, and maybe Georgetown and Stanford. Call it the "Big Brain" Conference.

    @the-gipper said:

    Let's face it also. The Big Ten is a much higher profile conference than the MAC. The MAC does not get an automatic BCS berth, the Big Ten does. Plus, overall, the size of the schools in the Big Ten are generally bigger than the MAC (but not as much larger as I originally believed before I did the following research:

    Big Ten Student populations:

    Illinois: 31,000

    Indiana: 31,000

    Iowa: 21,000

    Michigan: 26,000

    Mich. St.: 36,000

    Minnesota: 38,000

    Northwestern: 8200

    Ohio St.: 40,000

    Penn St.: 38,000

    Purdue: 31,000

    Wisconsin: 29,000

    Nebraska: 18,000

    MAC Student populations:

    Akron: 28,000

    Bowling Green: 19,000

    Buffalo: 28,000

    Kent State: 25,500

    Miami: 20,000 (though when my son applied there they said there were only 14K...so who knows about these numbers)

    Ohio U: 20,500

    Ball St: 20,000

    Cent. Mich: 27,000

    East. Mich: 23,000

    West. Mich: 25,000

    No. Ill. : 25,000

    Toledo: 21,500

    The oddity here is Northwestern. A smaller private school with a much higher academic profile in amongst the larger state schools. It seems to me that NW would be better off in a conference that would be made up of similar schools. Private with high academic profiles including the likes of Notre Dame, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Rice, Wake Forest, and maybe Georgetown and Stanford. Call it the "Big Brain" Conference.

    I am suprised at the student population of Nebraska.........always perceived Big Red as one of the largest

  • @the-gipper said:

    "Your state?" If you go to Akron, Ohio is your state too.

    And, FYI, if and when Ohio U. is in some kind of a big game, I do root for them. I believe just earlier this year they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, didn't they. Beat Georgetown if I recall.

    I may not "root" for them if they are playing a MAC game against Akron or KSU, but vs. an outside team, absolutely I am in their corner. And sure, it would be fine if Ohio U. got a little more run, but OSU just has a much higher profile

    .

    No I'm from PA, so Ohio is not my state...

    @feartheroo said:

    No I'm from PA, so Ohio is not my state...

    You go to Akron U now. The stench of PA is gradually being melted away.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Let's face it also. The Big Ten is a much higher profile conference than the MAC. The MAC does not get an automatic BCS berth, the Big Ten does. Plus, overall, the size of the schools in the Big Ten are generally bigger than the MAC (but not as much larger as I originally believed before I did the following research:

    Big Ten Student populations:

    Illinois: 31,000

    Indiana: 31,000

    Iowa: 21,000

    Michigan: 26,000

    Mich. St.: 36,000

    Minnesota: 38,000

    Northwestern: 8200

    Ohio St.: 40,000

    Penn St.: 38,000

    Purdue: 31,000

    Wisconsin: 29,000

    Nebraska: 18,000

    MAC Student populations:

    Akron: 28,000

    Bowling Green: 19,000

    Buffalo: 28,000

    Kent State: 25,500

    Miami: 20,000 (though when my son applied there they said there were only 14K...so who knows about these numbers)

    Ohio U: 20,500

    Ball St: 20,000

    Cent. Mich: 27,000

    East. Mich: 23,000

    West. Mich: 25,000

    No. Ill. : 25,000

    Toledo: 21,500

    The oddity here is Northwestern. A smaller private school with a much higher academic profile in amongst the larger state schools. It seems to me that NW would be better off in a conference that would be made up of similar schools. Private with high academic profiles including the likes of Notre Dame, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Rice, Wake Forest, and maybe Georgetown and Stanford. Call it the "Big Brain" Conference.

    I am suprised at the student population of Nebraska.........always perceived Big Red as one of the largest

    @slowburn said:

    [/color] I am suprised at the student population of Nebraska.........always perceived Big Red as one of the largest

    Yea, I thought so too, but now giving it some thought, Nebraska really is fairly sparsely populated, unlike most of the rest of the Big Ten State. Iowa is a little smaller than I thought as well. Also a less sparsely populated state.

  • @samoth said:

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    You are saying things like this just to be a dick aren't you?

    If you’ve followed them your whole life, you are not a bandwaggoner.

    The reason most Ohioans who follow college football, follow the Buckeyes for their life, is because the Buckeyes are the premier college program in Ohio. Its what is on TV every Saturday.

    @thaak said:

    You are saying things like this just to be a dick aren't you?

    If you’ve followed them your whole life, you are not a bandwaggoner.

    The reason most Ohioans who follow college football, follow the Buckeyes for their life, is because the Buckeyes are the premier college program in Ohio. Its what is on TV every Saturday.

    fyi i grew up in ohio and never watched a buckeye game until i was in college.

  • @thaak said:

    You are saying things like this just to be a dick aren't you?

    If you’ve followed them your whole life, you are not a bandwaggoner.

    The reason most Ohioans who follow college football, follow the Buckeyes for their life, is because the Buckeyes are the premier college program in Ohio. Its what is on TV every Saturday.

    fyi i grew up in ohio and never watched a buckeye game until i was in college.

    @samoth said:

    fyi i grew up in ohio and never watched a buckeye game until i was in college.

    who'd you root for before college?

  • @samoth said:

    fyi i grew up in ohio and never watched a buckeye game until i was in college.

    who'd you root for before college?

    nmills said:

    who'd you root for before college?

    The cleveland browns

  • nmills said:

    who'd you root for before college?

    The cleveland browns

    @samoth said:

    The cleveland browns

    Why can you root for the Browns but you cant root for a college team? Whats the difference? Name 5 reasons you root for the browns then put them in context of me rooting for the Buckeyes...maybe that will help, I dont understand your angle at all.

  • nmills said:

    Florida State and Miami are elite football schools that play at a high level. Hows the following for Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International probably not very good. We have but one elite college football div.1 program in Ohio and thats why everyone follows the Buckeyes.

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    @samoth said:

    So you are admitting to being a bandwagonner? Cool.

    I want to know how you become a fan of ANY team without being a bandwaggoner by your standards.

    Because at some point in your life, you have to choose a team to root for. How do you do it?

    Well there are many ways. For example, when I was about 12, I started rooting for the Yankees. Some might consider me a bandwagon fan, because the Yankees have been great for quite a long time.

    However, I knew almost nothing about Baseball, let alone who had the best team perennially. We had just come back from a long morning of canoeing, and I sat down to watch some TV. Baseball was on. I don't remember who the Yankees were playing. But in like the 3rd inning, they were down 9 to 1. I was tired, so fell asleep. I woke up in the 10th inning, and the Yankees had not only come back, but won the game. To me, they were the underdog (even though they really weren't.) I love rooting for the underdog. So I chose them as my team. In the last 10 years, I've chosen not to root for them out of principle.

    I chose the Buckeyes, because I was actually into college ball, and that was the game that showed every Saturday in Northeast Ohio. I grew up watching Carter, Byers, and Tomzak (sp?). I chose the Browns because they were my home team (45 miles from Cleveland) and Bernie Kosar was the gangly, unathletic, smart QB. The kind of athlete I tried to be, since I was gangly and unathletic at the time, while also being fairly smart.

    But was I a bandwagon fan because that's how I chose to root? No.

    If the Golden Flashes or the Zipps were on TV every Saturday, I probably would have watched them, since both Kent and Akron were closer to me than Columbus. But I got to actually WATCH the Buckeyes, so I became enamored with them. Enough so, that when I went to college, I applied at only one place. The Ohio State University.

    If my mom or dad (who both went to Kent State) were football fans, I probably would have followed them into being a fan of the Golden Flashes. But neither were into any kind of football, let alone college, so I got to make my own choice.

  • Okay the two main arguments for being Ohio State fans. You say being from Ohio, you have to root for Ohio State. Okay like said why don't you root for Ohio U instead? You say Ohio State is the premier team in the state. Well last time I checked Cincinnati was ranked higher than OSU towards the end of last year and ended up with a better record so couldn't they be considered the premier team in Ohio? Either way it still doesnt make sense. Believe it or not the OSU is NOT a pro team, it is a school. So any analogies to the Browns are wrong. Even if you have been a fan for life, you are still not a part of the school and yeah you can root for them, but a diehard? really. Being from PA I don't have to root for Ohio State, I don't even have to root for Penn State. They are both equally annoying in my book. I've never heard of this school Akron U you people are mentioning. I am a fan of The University of Akron, and I'm damn proud of it. Being a student there, I have a connection most of you will never feel. This is why you just don't understand. I am a part of something and just don't walk around being obnoxious and running my mouth about some school just because I feel like it. We'll never be a big time school in football, but we have pride and we're proud of OUR school, not just A school.

  • Okay the two main arguments for being Ohio State fans. You say being from Ohio, you have to root for Ohio State. Okay like said why don't you root for Ohio U instead? You say Ohio State is the premier team in the state. Well last time I checked Cincinnati was ranked higher than OSU towards the end of last year and ended up with a better record so couldn't they be considered the premier team in Ohio? Either way it still doesnt make sense. Believe it or not the OSU is NOT a pro team, it is a school. So any analogies to the Browns are wrong. Even if you have been a fan for life, you are still not a part of the school and yeah you can root for them, but a diehard? really. Being from PA I don't have to root for Ohio State, I don't even have to root for Penn State. They are both equally annoying in my book. I've never heard of this school Akron U you people are mentioning. I am a fan of The University of Akron, and I'm damn proud of it. Being a student there, I have a connection most of you will never feel. This is why you just don't understand. I am a part of something and just don't walk around being obnoxious and running my mouth about some school just because I feel like it. We'll never be a big time school in football, but we have pride and we're proud of OUR school, not just A school.

    @feartheroo said:

    Okay the two main arguments for being Ohio State fans. You say being from Ohio, you have to root for Ohio State. Okay like said why don't you root for Ohio U instead? You say Ohio State is the premier team in the state. Well last time I checked Cincinnati was ranked higher than OSU towards the end of last year and ended up with a better record so couldn't they be considered the premier team in Ohio? Either way it still doesnt make sense. Believe it or not the OSU is NOT a pro team, it is a school. So any analogies to the Browns are wrong. Even if you have been a fan for life, you are still not a part of the school and yeah you can root for them, but a diehard? really. Being from PA I don't have to root for Ohio State, I don't even have to root for Penn State. They are both equally annoying in my book. I've never heard of this school Akron U you people are mentioning. I am a fan of The University of Akron, and I'm damn proud of it. Being a student there, I have a connection most of you will never feel. This is why you just don't understand. I am a part of something and just don't walk around being obnoxious and running my mouth about some school just because I feel like it. We'll never be a big time school in football, but we have pride and we're proud of OUR school, not just A school.

    this is too repetitive and your argument is flawed on so many levels I'm not going to get into it...just let it go.