Clayton - Probably not Cowher on WKNR
-
This is kind of a response to THIS thread...and the REESE thread:
Jim Schwarz, the DC for the Tennessee Titans...is one of the HOT PROSPECTS for HC positions. He was in line for 3 different HC positions last year:
A high-energy coach, Schwartz is a fiery leader for whom veterans enjoy playing, and early in his career he worked for current New England coach Bill Belichick.
He has been with the Titans since 1999. Before that, Schwartz worked for the Cleveland Browns (1995) and Baltimore Ravens (1996-98).
Schwartz interviewed this year for the head coach openings in Washington, Miami and Atlanta.
As you can see, he has a past with the Browns, has the type of demeanor many of us want (fiery), and has a history with Belichick (so his system could be similar).
If Reese were to come in as GM...it may be very likely he would be able to bring in Schwartz. Schwartz was also recently mentioned as a top candidate by ESPN
Crennel Replacement Candidates
A nice scenario would be for Reese to take over as GM, but keep Savage around as a personnel guy....and bring in Schwartz as the HC.
This is kind of a response to THIS thread...and the REESE thread:
Jim Schwarz, the DC for the Tennessee Titans...is one of the HOT PROSPECTS for HC positions. He was in line for 3 different HC positions last year:
Why is he hot? He's got GREAT players like Keith Bulluck, Albert Haynesworth, Kyle VandenBosch, Chris Hope, Michael Griffin, Nick Harper and Cortland Finnegan. He's got a STRONG Supervisor that is VERY skilled at putting out fires when he needs to that's ALSO the head of the rules committee.
I pretty much agree with what Inspecta was saying. He did a real good job explaining it. Would Jim Schwartz be ANY better than Jason Garrett as a head coach? Who knows? They're both Coordinators on very talented teams. Last year all we heard from the media was how great Jason Garrett would be as the next Head Coach for Dallas. This year that offense looks disorganized and underachieving more than it should. As I've said before, I find myself tempted for a guy like Spagnola because defensive players are EXCITED to play in his system. And why? What's not fun about "sic em"? What's complicated about X-stunts that high school kids can perfect? We can't replace an Osi Youmeanbasterd with a Mathias Kiwanuka because we have neither on the roster. I'd love to watch a Sunday Chess Match where we rush the passer with more than just pawns. These Coordinators keep coming here and getting overwhelmed with the following culture shock: "WHERE the Flock-of-seagulls are all the good football players I was told I'd have?"
What assures us that ANY coordinator turning Head Coach for the first time can be ANY better with THIS team than the previous Coordinators from outside we looked to? Can't say but I will say I don't want to find out the HARD way where we fall right back into the trap that we give another guy TOO LONG without playoffs only because of previous screwups. IMO, the biggest REASON Marty worked was because he was HERE so there was NO culture shock of a coach being spoiled with talent coming to a roster with a handful of talented players.
Right now, I feel we gotta go get someone like Marty or Bill because their EXPERIENCE levels can make them the same voice of reason to Savage that Ozzie was. Hear me out. You see Cowher or Marty and you don't see a novice Head Coach. You see someone that commands respect. MAYBE, and I know I'm reversing some strong feelings from a week or 2 ago but, the RIGHT chemistry between Savage and Head Coach could end up making Savage worth keeping. Ozzie wouldn't LET him suck and I don't think Marty of Cowher would let that happen either. Phil's problem wasn't work ethic or ambition. His problem was he wasn't married to the RIGHT Head Coach on top of having a Supervisor who's bumper sticker reads: "I'd rather be skydiving!" You get him re-married to the right Head Coach and it might not even matter what side of the Atltantic Ocean Randy Lerner is on.
- Tom F. (Don't ask why because it's like trying to figure out why the only hit song for a band named War was called "Why Can't We Be Friends?" It's not supposed to make sense - it's just there)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login