Skip to content

minor league football team

The Browns Board
22 9 2.1k
  • @wrrebel said:

    You don't sound rude. Like you and I mentioned I'm sure there are people way more qualifed then me. I still haven't heard any good cons though.

    I just gave you two, read above.

    NFL Europe failed as a business venture, and failed to develop any talent. That was essentially the NFL's developmental league, and it failed miserably.

    Secondly, why create a developmental league, when College ball is essentially the NFL's developmental league.

    The major difference between the leagues (NBA, MLB, & NHL) that have developmental leagues, is that guys right out of (and sometimes still in) High School start playing in them. They develop them from about 18 to 22 (maybe even longer in some cases) and then bring them up to the big leagues. These kids don't play much college basketball, Baseball or Hockey. The NFL has college ball as their developmental league. You don't want to take a 22 to 24 year old and subject him to 2 to 4 years of further developmental playing, because then by the time he's panned out (which is a highly suspect occurrence) they'd be 24 to 28 years old, with only 2 to 4 years of prime value left.

    @thaak said:

    I just gave you two, read above.

    NFL Europe failed as a business venture, and failed to develop any talent. That was essentially the NFL's developmental league, and it failed miserably.

    Let's start with the main reason it failed: IT WAS IN F**KING EUROPE!!!

    Secondly, why create a developmental league, when College ball is essentially the NFL's developmental league.

    Yes, the NFL wants a developmental league it does not have to pay for. The main one being the colleges, but they also use Canada and the Arena League.

  • @junkyard-dawg said:

    Last word I heard on it last year was the NFL wants to outright buy it or be majority owner. While that guarantees the best chance available for a 2nd League to succeed they don't quite seem to be there yet. I imagine giving it time something'll be worked out, or NFL will just create their own.

    Excellent pick. Large population of rabid football fans, home of football greatness and close enough to Cleveland they can pack the stadium. They could also use the bubble at Massilon High School for practice. Ever seen that thing? It's competitive with NFL practice fields.

    Ehhh, they have the population but the closest stadium they could pack can only house half of Fawcett Field, plus i'm not sure how that'd work. Maybe if they play the game at the U of Cincy? I'd go with the Columbus Panhandles. Large metro area, tons of Bengals fans and a better stadium.

    Meh, good thought but Pottsville has a small population, isn't very football starved and it'd be hard to get fairweather Philly fans who bitch about "only" making the NFC Championship regulary to go there. Plus, where would they play?

    Bad idea, MN has a hard enough time getting fans to attend Vikings games, even when they're winning. I'd recommend they put their D-Franchise in Fargo. Population of 200,000 in the area, football fans, close to MN so you'll get diehard Vikings fans and their Universities stadium is decent.

    Could work, they'd draw pretty small crowds though, depending on where they could play their games.

    That'd be tough to sell ith two NFL teams and to NFL-Jr teams in Ohio.

    L.A. is the worst when it comes to... Well, just about everything including football fans. This would be an expansion franchise i'd locate in Las Vegas. Large population, stadium capacity of 36,000(which would sell out weekly), lots of football starved fans. Actually i'd go with Yuma AZ for the Chargers. Population of 80,000 on the border of SoCal so alot of Chargers fans would also go there. Leave L.V. for the L.A. Jaguars.

    Maybe, or give Toronto their farm team and kill two birds with one stone. Toronto technically gets an NFL franchise and Buffalo doesn't lose one.

    Well, as I said, I was trying to tie the new "minor league" teams in with teams that once actually were NFL franchises. I believe Toledo was also called the Maroons. Sure, this no doubt would not work in all situations.

    In reality, for a minor league system to work for the NFL, they would probably have to do it like baseball and allow people to join it out of high school. But, as mentioned, the NFL doesn't want to pay for a farm system when they can now get one for free, and I am sure they do not want to step on the toes of the tradition in this country that is college football. There is no such issue in baseball or hockey.