Skip to content

Hardesty

The Browns Board
67 35 8.6k
  • ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting via Twitter that Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty(notes) has a torn ACL in his left knee and is out for the 2010 season.

    Hardesty, who had missed Cleveland's first three preseason games with a bone bruise in his right knee, carried seven times for 25 yards and a TD before suffering the injury.

    The Browns' second-round draft pick was expected to compete with Jerome Harrison(notes) for carries in the Cleveland backfield.

    Hardesty suffered a torn ACL in his right knee as a freshman at Tennessee in 2005 and endured other injuries during his Volunteers career, including a stress fracture in his left foot suffered in '08. Hardesty rushed for a career-high 1,345 yards as a senior in '09.

  • WTF !!

  • ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting via Twitter that Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty(notes) has a torn ACL in his left knee and is out for the 2010 season.

    Hardesty, who had missed Cleveland's first three preseason games with a bone bruise in his right knee, carried seven times for 25 yards and a TD before suffering the injury.

    The Browns' second-round draft pick was expected to compete with Jerome Harrison(notes) for carries in the Cleveland backfield.

    Hardesty suffered a torn ACL in his right knee as a freshman at Tennessee in 2005 and endured other injuries during his Volunteers career, including a stress fracture in his left foot suffered in '08. Hardesty rushed for a career-high 1,345 yards as a senior in '09.

    @brownindian said:

    ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting via Twitter that Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty(notes) has a torn ACL in his left knee and is out for the 2010 season.

    We are overdue for something good to happen for our Browns....wtf

  • ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting via Twitter that Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty(notes) has a torn ACL in his left knee and is out for the 2010 season.

    Hardesty, who had missed Cleveland's first three preseason games with a bone bruise in his right knee, carried seven times for 25 yards and a TD before suffering the injury.

    The Browns' second-round draft pick was expected to compete with Jerome Harrison(notes) for carries in the Cleveland backfield.

    Hardesty suffered a torn ACL in his right knee as a freshman at Tennessee in 2005 and endured other injuries during his Volunteers career, including a stress fracture in his left foot suffered in '08. Hardesty rushed for a career-high 1,345 yards as a senior in '09.

    @brownindian said:

    ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting via Twitter that Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty(notes) has a torn ACL in his left knee and is out for the 2010 season.

    Hardesty, who had missed Cleveland's first three preseason games with a bone bruise in his right knee, carried seven times for 25 yards and a TD before suffering the injury.

    The Browns' second-round draft pick was expected to compete with Jerome Harrison(notes) for carries in the Cleveland backfield.

    Hardesty suffered a torn ACL in his right knee as a freshman at Tennessee in 2005 and endured other injuries during his Volunteers career, including a stress fracture in his left foot suffered in '08. Hardesty rushed for a career-high 1,345 yards as a senior in '09.

    Why did it seem that this was almost inevitable? LeCharles Bentley all over again. Good thing we got Hillis and hopefully James Davis will be over his injury bugaboo.

    I guess that is why the say that NFL stands for "Not For Long".

  • OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

  • Cut him. We don't need another Stallworth. I feel sorry for the kid, but he is obviously not going to cut it in the NFL.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cut him. We don't need another Stallworth. I feel sorry for the kid, but he is obviously not going to cut it in the NFL.

    ACL in both knees- not good. However, you don't just cut a guy like Hardesty. He'll get his chance to rehab. Heckert knew he was rolling the injury dice when he drafted him. Unfortunately it looks like he rolled snake eyes. Instead of drafting a Thurman Thomas (who BTW also fell to the second round because of injury issues) looks like another KiJana Carter.

  • OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    There are 3 ligaments in your knee. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), PCL (posterior? cruciate lig) and MCL (medial cruc. lig.). ACL tears are hte worst of the 3. An MCL tear affects the smalles of the ligaments, and the one in the middle, so the other two can help compensate while it heals. ACL tears affect I believe the ligament on the outside of your knee and require a long recovery phase.

  • Zombo said:

    Thanks. At least I got to see him carry the ball once as a Brown...

    Zombo

    Haha sorry but that was funny

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cut him. We don't need another Stallworth. I feel sorry for the kid, but he is obviously not going to cut it in the NFL.

    ACL in both knees- not good. However, you don't just cut a guy like Hardesty. He'll get his chance to rehab. Heckert knew he was rolling the injury dice when he drafted him. Unfortunately it looks like he rolled snake eyes. Instead of drafting a Thurman Thomas (who BTW also fell to the second round because of injury issues) looks like another KiJana Carter.

    @hoorta said:

    ACL in both knees- not good. However, you don't just cut a guy like Hardesty. He'll get his chance to rehab. Heckert knew he was rolling the injury dice when he drafted him. Unfortunately it looks like he rolled snake eyes. Instead of drafting a Thurman Thomas (who BTW also fell to the second round because of injury issues) looks like another KiJana Carter.

    I agree hoorta i seen enough of this kid in 7 plays to know if he can get healthy and stay healthy he will contribute in a massive way, if we lose on the next roll with hardesty oh well you win some and you lose some...i like heckerts gutzy calls on hardesty and ward its a risk vs reward scenario..

  • OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    The reason why an ACL tear is worse than a MCL tear is the ACL is an internal ligament- it basically gives you front-back stability in the knee, it usually completely blows out- all or none injury- and the surgery to repair it is a mess. (More on that later) Think of a MCL tear the same way you would an ankle sprain.

    For those who wonder why it takes so long to come back from a torn ACL I dug up this video. WARNINING- IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH- I DON'T RECOMMEND IT- I WORKED IN A TRAUMA CENTER FOR YEARS, AND SOME OF IT HAD ME GRITTING MY TEETH.

  • Damn i cant believe hes gone for the season though he has these injury problems it made me wonder,but the little bit i did see i thought he looked like he could of been something speical now my only question his can he ever return to form or his is NFL career offically over will he ever hold up

  • I tore my ACL my senior year of high school football and when I was limping off the field it felt like bone against bone in my knee. Not a fun injury.

  • His running style, pushing the pile with all that stress on his bent knees has to take it's toll.

    He should have just got as much as he could get, and gone down to the ground to run again.

    Instead, he kept going, but bent knees are far, far more apt to be injured from the force of resistance,

    they are much less stable to force from the side...

    too bad for Hardesty.

    @calfoxwc said:

    His running style, pushing the pile with all that stress on his bent knees has to take it's toll.

    He should have just got as much as he could get, and gone down to the ground to run again.

    Instead, he kept going, but bent knees are far, far more apt to be injured from the force of resistance,

    they are much less stable to force from the side...

    too bad for Hardesty.

    after the browns drafted hardesty, i read several articles about him that said at times he played too aggressive and needed to know when to just get down. this overly aggressive style probably led to some of his prior injuries and it seems like it led to his injury last night. jmo.

  • OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    Ok, now I’m not a doctor, and so my information is only lay and 2nd hand from the doctor who fixed my ACL. Also, sometimes some sports casters who are giving color commentary on the game have good information on this kind of stuff.

    The lateral ligaments (MCL & PCL) only help stabilize the knee to sideways or lateral pressures and forces. They also can’t really be repaired if they are completely gone or disrupted. I think they can try to reattach two ends if completely torn, but not sure. Otherwise it just takes time to let it heal, or for the physical therapy to get the knee and leg muscles to compensate for a lack of the ligament.

    The ACL, on the other hand, is the main ligament in your knee. Probably the result of your zipper scar. I walked around without one for 5 years, and my knee is still very loose (had it replaced in 2001). There are some cases where folks have played extreme sports (basketball there is a guy without one in both knees) without them. But by and large, you need them to do sports.

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    There are 3 ligaments in your knee. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), PCL (posterior? cruciate lig) and MCL (medial cruc. lig.). ACL tears are hte worst of the 3. An MCL tear affects the smalles of the ligaments, and the one in the middle, so the other two can help compensate while it heals. ACL tears affect I believe the ligament on the outside of your knee and require a long recovery phase.

    @samoth said:

    There are 3 ligaments in your knee. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), PCL (posterior? cruciate lig) and MCL (medial cruc. lig.). ACL tears are hte worst of the 3. An MCL tear affects the smalles of the ligaments, and the one in the middle, so the other two can help compensate while it heals. ACL tears affect I believe the ligament on the outside of your knee and require a long recovery phase.

    You CAN get back to speed with a torn ACL. Especially with the surgery advancements the past 5 years. Have torn ACL in one knee and PCL in the other.

    ACL i would argue personally is better then PCL ( I would say 12 months on a collegiate treatment/physio, but had our most athletic RB's up to full speed in 8 mths after surgery, NFL physio would argue should be less (i guess will see with Welker this year) but I can vouch that your speed comes back .

    PCL recovery harder because physio is more for stopping and those muscles are more difficult to build up. PCL didnt affect my straigh tline speed, but stopping /cutting just not there like it was.

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    There are 3 ligaments in your knee. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), PCL (posterior? cruciate lig) and MCL (medial cruc. lig.). ACL tears are hte worst of the 3. An MCL tear affects the smalles of the ligaments, and the one in the middle, so the other two can help compensate while it heals. ACL tears affect I believe the ligament on the outside of your knee and require a long recovery phase.

    @samoth said:

    There are 3 ligaments in your knee. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), PCL (posterior? cruciate lig) and MCL (medial cruc. lig.). ACL tears are hte worst of the 3. An MCL tear affects the smalles of the ligaments, and the one in the middle, so the other two can help compensate while it heals. ACL tears affect I believe the ligament on the outside of your knee and require a long recovery phase.

    Actually there are 4 major ligaments… MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament – inside of the knee), LCL (Lateral Collateral Ligament – outside of the knee), ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament – down middle of knee), and PCL (Posterial Cruciate Ligament – behind the ACL at back of knee)

  • @bag-o-browns said:

    IF there is any positive, it is at least at a position where we have a LOT of depth and could give a kid like James Davis a chance to shine. Hardesty will sit on the shelf and hopefully be able to rehab and come back next year and show what he can do. A shame....but i wasn't counting on him being the stud running back of our team anyway.

    Does Chris Jennings make the club with this injury?

    Unless Jennings produces well on Special Teams, why do we need him? Davis, Hillis, & Harrison work very well behind Vickers. We can save that extra spot that Hardesty would have taken up to give another WR or LB a shot.

    @thaak said:

    Unless Jennings produces well on Special Teams, why do we need him? Davis, Hillis, & Harrison work very well behind Vickers. We can save that extra spot that Hardesty would have taken up to give another WR or LB a shot.

    Thaak, i tend to agree with you in terms of Jennings being needed on the club. Just was wondering if anyone or someone over-valued his need to be on our team. I think the only way he makes the club is if James Davis's injury is something greater than the little limp he had.

  • Turns out, The Browns might want to upgrade their medical staff. MH had injury concerns out the ying yang, yet our crack team of physicians gave the OK to trade up, and grab a guy that everyone else in the football world knew had durability issues............What's up Doc?

  • Oh Man bad news for Hardesty To bad thank you for the Video.

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, for any of you amateur physicians out there, here is the blog concerning Leftwich's injury:

    Leftwich likely out 4-6 weeks: Steelers QB Byron Leftwich has been diagnosed with a torn MCL, according to his management company. Leftwich, expected to start during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, injured his left knee during the first half of Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina. Such an injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to recover from.

    So, he has a torn MCL, and Hardesty has a torn ACL. Can anyone tell us why a torn MCL would only cause a guy to be out of action 4-6 weeks, but a torn ACL would cause one to be out for the entire year?

    (FYI, when I was 16 I suffered some kind of knee ligament tear requriring surgery. I don't know exactly what I tore. Doctors in those days didn't tell kids what they tore, just that the needed surgery. I have the zipper scar to prove it.)

    The reason why an ACL tear is worse than a MCL tear is the ACL is an internal ligament- it basically gives you front-back stability in the knee, it usually completely blows out- all or none injury- and the surgery to repair it is a mess. (More on that later) Think of a MCL tear the same way you would an ankle sprain.

    For those who wonder why it takes so long to come back from a torn ACL I dug up this video. WARNINING- IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH- I DON'T RECOMMEND IT- I WORKED IN A TRAUMA CENTER FOR YEARS, AND SOME OF IT HAD ME GRITTING MY TEETH.

    @hoorta said:

    The reason why an ACL tear is worse than a MCL tear is the ACL is an internal ligament- it basically gives you front-back stability in the knee, it usually completely blows out- all or none injury- and the surgery to repair it is a mess. (More on that later) Think of a MCL tear the same way you would an ankle sprain.

    For those who wonder why it takes so long to come back from a torn ACL I dug up this video. WARNINING- IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH- I DON'T RECOMMEND IT- I WORKED IN A TRAUMA CENTER FOR YEARS, AND SOME OF IT HAD ME GRITTING MY TEETH.

    That was nothing. I've witnessed autopsies of accident/homicide victims. That is bad.