Skip to content

You mess up, you will be benched.

The Browns Board
25 21 2.9k
  • @beefjerky said:

    honestly I've usually supported Mangini, but now when you have the players thinking about "Don't commit a penalty, don't turn it over", you'll have them thinking about that over the actual current play of the game at times, which is quite bad for their focus. This is going to make them nervous and make some of the players play scared.

    I can't think of any coach who has enacted a policy like this, at least publicly. The team definitely needs a new offensive coordinator that's for sure.

    I agree, having players play cautious is not a good thing considering that we neded to start playing with more fire anyways. Hillis was pounding the rock very well in Tampa, yet coughed it up. We went away from Hillia nad went flat, so I wouldn't say that was a good solution. It may have cost us the game.

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @atenears said:

    I agree, having players play cautious is not a good thing considering that we neded to start playing with more fire anyways. Hillis was pounding the rock very well in Tampa, yet coughed it up. We went away from Hillia nad went flat, so I wouldn't say that was a good solution. It may have cost us the game.

    I dont think he said anything that every player didn't already know. Adrian Peterson's probably the only player in the league that doesn't get benched for consistently putting the ball on the ground.

    Holmgren's influence on Mangini to lighten up in training camp could be hurting us now. Bring back that mean SOB

  • D DeadWombat wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I just want to know if we can Bench Daboll if he calls more horrible plays.

  • @atenears said:

    I agree, having players play cautious is not a good thing considering that we neded to start playing with more fire anyways. Hillis was pounding the rock very well in Tampa, yet coughed it up. We went away from Hillia nad went flat, so I wouldn't say that was a good solution. It may have cost us the game.

    I agree.

    You want players playing loose.

    As a coach, he may decide to do that, but I don't think it a great idea to make it a public proclamation.

    If you are tired of a player because he fumbles, drops passes, or jumps off-sides, just pull him and tell him why he was pulled.

    I doubt Joe Thomas as an example gets pulled if he jumps offsides a time or two.

    I hope not anyway.

    I would like to see a vid of the actual quote.

    Sometimes the way things are reported aren't in the same vein as how they are said. Many times the context of the comment gets lost in the black ink.

    BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree.

    You want players playing loose.

    As a coach, he may decide to do that, but I don't think it a great idea to make it a public proclamation.

    There it is...This is the mentality from grade school right on up...any sport ....you screwup you sit

    But there's no need to go public just so you can say "look at me ,I'm doing my job"

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I like the contrast here....

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    While everyone on the team insists that Harrison was down when Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel stripped him of the ball on the Browns' second drive, Mangini said it shouldn't have come to that. The Browns challenged, but the fumble held. The Chiefs converted it into a field goal. Harrison was so frustrated after the game he wouldn't talk.

    "Whether you agree with it or disagree with it, whether you think his arm was down or not, if you put it into someone else's hands to make that decision, then you live with the results," said Mangini. "The ball shouldn't be on the ground."

    THEN HE SAYS....

    Explained Massaqoi: "I watched both of them. The sideline one, I'm just still trying to get used to being more aware of the sideline, trying harder. The other one, when he landed on top, the ball squirted out. It's one of those things. It wasn't a matter of not catching the ball."-

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    So one guy hits the ground and the ball pops out and it's the worst thing that could happen, then in the next breath he says that "It's just one of those things." for another guy.

    Nice.

  • I like the contrast here....

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    While everyone on the team insists that Harrison was down when Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel stripped him of the ball on the Browns' second drive, Mangini said it shouldn't have come to that. The Browns challenged, but the fumble held. The Chiefs converted it into a field goal. Harrison was so frustrated after the game he wouldn't talk.

    "Whether you agree with it or disagree with it, whether you think his arm was down or not, if you put it into someone else's hands to make that decision, then you live with the results," said Mangini. "The ball shouldn't be on the ground."

    THEN HE SAYS....

    Explained Massaqoi: "I watched both of them. The sideline one, I'm just still trying to get used to being more aware of the sideline, trying harder. The other one, when he landed on top, the ball squirted out. It's one of those things. It wasn't a matter of not catching the ball."-

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    So one guy hits the ground and the ball pops out and it's the worst thing that could happen, then in the next breath he says that "It's just one of those things." for another guy.

    Nice.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @hx214 said:

    I like the contrast here....

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    While everyone on the team insists that Harrison was down when Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel stripped him of the ball on the Browns' second drive, Mangini said it shouldn't have come to that. The Browns challenged, but the fumble held. The Chiefs converted it into a field goal. Harrison was so frustrated after the game he wouldn't talk.

    "Whether you agree with it or disagree with it, whether you think his arm was down or not, if you put it into someone else's hands to make that decision, then you live with the results," said Mangini. "The ball shouldn't be on the ground."

    THEN HE SAYS....

    Explained Massaqoi: "I watched both of them. The sideline one, I'm just still trying to get used to being more aware of the sideline, trying harder. The other one, when he landed on top, the ball squirted out. It's one of those things. It wasn't a matter of not catching the ball."-

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    So one guy hits the ground and the ball pops out and it's the worst thing that could happen, then in the next breath he says that "It's just one of those things." for another guy.

    Nice.

    Well...one quote is Mangini. The other is MoMass.

    So....yeah.