Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. FINALLY

FINALLY

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
45 Posts 20 Posters 3.9k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The GipperT The Gipper

    @canton-mike said:

    Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

    Mike

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

    Earl34 E
    • 1k Posts
    • 11 Reputation
    E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @the-gipper said:

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

    Which I why I was surprised that AJ Smith was never linked to us for a trade for Vincent Jackson (not that we would want a head case like him).

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The GipperT The Gipper

      @canton-mike said:

      Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

      Mike

      And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

      rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 2k Posts
      • 39 Reputation
      rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
      #22

      @the-gipper said:

      And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

      dont forget Couch stank..........get over that stupidity of making excuses for him

      Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • 7moses7 7 Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 1k Posts
        • 248 Reputation
        7 7moses7 wrote on last edited by
        #23

        mikeyP72 said:

        Kelley Holcomb can take us to the super bowl if we resign him.

        or Don Strock.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • colt.12 C
          • 7 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          C colt.12 wrote on last edited by
          #24

          with Hardesty and Hillis were alright at rb but we definately need some better receivers

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • duquesnevet D
            • 1 Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            D duquesnevet wrote on last edited by
            #25

            He looked like the best the brownies have had at QB in a few years.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • The GipperT The Gipper

              @rich4eagle said:

              The mistake with Tim Couch was drafting a guy with no pocket presence, no reading ability, and no concept of making first downs.................

              comparing him to Colt is an insult to Colt

              Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

              I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation.

              rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 2k Posts
              • 39 Reputation
              rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
              #26

              @the-gipper said:

              Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

              I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation

              .

              If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

              I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

              Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

              Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

              Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

              Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
              ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • CincyBrownsFan CincyBrownsFanC
                • 4 Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                CincyBrownsFanC CincyBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                #27

                Colt did a great job against the Steelers. But, I want to wait to see how he does against a defense that has had time to study last weeks tape of him playing and put together a game plan against him. If he is still able to perform this week like last, then I will feel more confident in him being our new man. For now I still think it is up in the air.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • rich4eagleR rich4eagle

                  @the-gipper said:

                  Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

                  I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation

                  .

                  If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

                  I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

                  Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

                  Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

                  Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

                  ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #28

                  @rich4eagle said:

                  If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

                  I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

                  Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

                  Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

                  Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

                  I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                  That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                  So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  Pavo JoeP rich4eagleR 2 Replies Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Mark O Mark OM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 6k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
                    #29

                    We also shouldn't forget that Eric Zeire (or however you spell it) had a great start against the Bengals once and we thought he was the QB of the future...how'd that turn out for everyone?

                    I think Colt is a whole lot better than Zeire but we shouldn't call him the QB of the future just yet.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • ballpeenB ballpeen

                      @rich4eagle said:

                      If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

                      I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

                      Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

                      Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

                      Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

                      I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                      That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                      So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                      Pavo Joe Pavo JoeP Conversation Starter Reacting Well First Post Collaborator Dedicated Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                      • 138 Posts
                      • 28 Reputation
                      Pavo JoeP Pavo Joe wrote on last edited by
                      #30

                      @ballpeen said:

                      I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                      That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                      So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                      Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

                      rich4eagleR ballpeenB 2 Replies Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • ballpeenB ballpeen

                        @rich4eagle said:

                        If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

                        I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

                        Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

                        Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

                        Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

                        I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                        That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                        So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                        rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 39 Reputation
                        rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
                        #31

                        @ballpeen said:

                        I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                        That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                        So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                        That is cool but some of us gotta a lot of scorn and to this day not a single mea culpa.................because we called Willie Green...........DUPA Green......which he was

                        Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Pavo JoeP Pavo Joe

                          @ballpeen said:

                          I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                          That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                          So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                          Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

                          rich4eagle rich4eagleR One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 2k Posts
                          • 39 Reputation
                          rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
                          #32

                          @pavo-joe said:

                          Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

                          Start him every game and let it play out.........we have nothing else............so we can see him grow or shrink

                          Offense Wins.......Franchise QB's are the key.............Defense keeps you in the game.........Go Buckeyes
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Frenchie F Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 605 Posts
                            • 77 Reputation
                            F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
                            #33

                            The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

                            Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

                            Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

                            Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

                            Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

                            E Tim Couch Pulls OutT 2 Replies Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • F Frenchie

                              The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

                              Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

                              Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

                              Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

                              Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

                              Earl34 E
                              • 1k Posts
                              • 11 Reputation
                              E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
                              #34

                              @frenchie said:

                              Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

                              I agree. He was exceptional selling the screen...moreso than anyone I've seen do that for the Browns in a long time.

                              F 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • E Earl34

                                @frenchie said:

                                Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

                                I agree. He was exceptional selling the screen...moreso than anyone I've seen do that for the Browns in a long time.

                                Frenchie F Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 605 Posts
                                • 77 Reputation
                                F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
                                #35

                                @earl34 said:

                                I agree. He was exceptional selling the screen...moreso than anyone I've seen do that for the Browns in a long time.

                                I didn't even think about that. But you are right. I was just glad to see it used once in a while. Even if a screen only goes for a few yards, it makes the defence hesitate that half-step on every play and that can make the world of difference.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • F Frenchie

                                  The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

                                  Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

                                  Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

                                  Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

                                  Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

                                  Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 8k Posts
                                  • 1k Reputation
                                  Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                                  #36

                                  @frenchie said:

                                  The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

                                  Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

                                  Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

                                  Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

                                  Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

                                  They ran fake dive end around to MoMass later on, after the HB dive. I think he got stuffed at the line. I can't really remember though. We haven't double play action faked out of that play yet and come up passing, that's what I'm waiting for. You can bet your bippy that safety is hauling ass to the line almost every time he gets that read. And why not? He's got no wideout threats on his side with the split end coming in motion. There's no playside contain responsibilities, he's just got to come up and hit the RB.

                                  We need to run the playside tight end on a block and go, or even a straight fly. Hit the zone the safety just vacated, and he could go for six. We've never thrown out of it, so there's no film on it. We should run it when were in the hole, it could possibly come up big.

                                  I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Strato S
                                    • 128 Posts
                                    • 0 Reputation
                                    S Strato wrote on last edited by
                                    #37

                                    Browns are so bad..i dont think even a good texan like Colt can save them.....yall should have Tombstones in the endzones ..because thats where good players go to die..

                                    miktoxicM 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • S Strato

                                      Browns are so bad..i dont think even a good texan like Colt can save them.....yall should have Tombstones in the endzones ..because thats where good players go to die..

                                      miktoxic miktoxicM
                                      • 13k Posts
                                      • 1k Reputation
                                      miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                                      #38

                                      @strato said:

                                      Browns are so bad..i dont think even a good texan like Colt can save them.....yall should have Tombstones in the endzones ..because thats where good players go to die..

                                      dude, just leave now. your weak attempts at goading make you look silly in comparison to the steeler regulars on here (tron, freets, buns etc.). pack up the beads and chug some hurricanes because it could be a long time until your team does it again.

                                      too bad cuz i think everybody pulled for your team and were happy when they won. only takes the matter of minutes to destroy good will when there are little turds like you washing up on the shores to destroy everything.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Pavo JoeP Pavo Joe

                                        @ballpeen said:

                                        I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

                                        That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

                                        So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

                                        Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

                                        ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 9k Posts
                                        • 2k Reputation
                                        ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
                                        #39

                                        @pavo-joe said:

                                        Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

                                        Hopefully he gets about 200 more starts before it's all over. 😉

                                        As for now, which is the question and concern, I don't have that answer.

                                        Colt seemed to pass the sniff test in so far as being able to handle the pressure. Now I guess we will have to wait and see how he does after he has a poor game. At least this start is a positive he can carry forward. He now knows he can operate at a fairly good level against one of the better teams in the league.....so that is a big plus.

                                        I know Holmgren hoped he didn't play at all. Now that he has and did a good job, maybe that reluctance has diminished? The cat's out of the bag so to speak.

                                        I think a big factor is we don't know what is going on in the meetings between Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini. My personal opinion is the team looks much better and to me at least seems on track for good things, but that's my opinion. Maybe Holmgren and Heck don't feel the same way and wins is going to be a key criteria in Mangini retaining his job. Are they in agreement we are looking and playing better, understand we have had some injury problems, or are they asking all type of pointed questions after the games?

                                        Mangini is the only one who has a feel for how those guys feel. If he feels he is on the hot seat, I would expect to see Jake back in operation. He's only played the one game. So Jake will come in at least 1 more time. If Holmgrem and Heck tell Mangini his job is safe....barring some unforeseen calamity...then we might see Colt a great deal the rest of the way.

                                        I am good either way. In reality we are out of things, but it is a bit too soon to just call it quits, so going back with Jake makes some sense.....but add in a few more losses, which are on the way, then we can go with Colt as preparation for next season. I don't think he needs 10 starts for that preparation....my thinking is 5 solid starts is all a rook needs to no longer be a rook QB.

                                        No doubt he is far from a sage veteran, but 5-6 starts or 5-6 starts of accumulated time on the field is enough for him to feel the fire. To me it's like a soldier in combat. There is a point where you have never been shot at to a point where you have...and it doesn't take all that long to understand it's a whole new ballgame. There is a time to fire and a time to duck, and you better learn that pretty quick.

                                        If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                                        E 1 Reply Last reply
                                        ❤
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • ballpeenB ballpeen

                                          @pavo-joe said:

                                          Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

                                          Hopefully he gets about 200 more starts before it's all over. 😉

                                          As for now, which is the question and concern, I don't have that answer.

                                          Colt seemed to pass the sniff test in so far as being able to handle the pressure. Now I guess we will have to wait and see how he does after he has a poor game. At least this start is a positive he can carry forward. He now knows he can operate at a fairly good level against one of the better teams in the league.....so that is a big plus.

                                          I know Holmgren hoped he didn't play at all. Now that he has and did a good job, maybe that reluctance has diminished? The cat's out of the bag so to speak.

                                          I think a big factor is we don't know what is going on in the meetings between Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini. My personal opinion is the team looks much better and to me at least seems on track for good things, but that's my opinion. Maybe Holmgren and Heck don't feel the same way and wins is going to be a key criteria in Mangini retaining his job. Are they in agreement we are looking and playing better, understand we have had some injury problems, or are they asking all type of pointed questions after the games?

                                          Mangini is the only one who has a feel for how those guys feel. If he feels he is on the hot seat, I would expect to see Jake back in operation. He's only played the one game. So Jake will come in at least 1 more time. If Holmgrem and Heck tell Mangini his job is safe....barring some unforeseen calamity...then we might see Colt a great deal the rest of the way.

                                          I am good either way. In reality we are out of things, but it is a bit too soon to just call it quits, so going back with Jake makes some sense.....but add in a few more losses, which are on the way, then we can go with Colt as preparation for next season. I don't think he needs 10 starts for that preparation....my thinking is 5 solid starts is all a rook needs to no longer be a rook QB.

                                          No doubt he is far from a sage veteran, but 5-6 starts or 5-6 starts of accumulated time on the field is enough for him to feel the fire. To me it's like a soldier in combat. There is a point where you have never been shot at to a point where you have...and it doesn't take all that long to understand it's a whole new ballgame. There is a time to fire and a time to duck, and you better learn that pretty quick.

                                          Earl34 E
                                          • 1k Posts
                                          • 11 Reputation
                                          E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
                                          #40

                                          @ballpeen said:

                                          Hopefully he gets about 200 more starts before it's all over. 😉

                                          As for now, which is the question and concern, I don't have that answer.

                                          Colt seemed to pass the sniff test in so far as being able to handle the pressure. Now I guess we will have to wait and see how he does after he has a poor game. At least this start is a positive he can carry forward. He now knows he can operate at a fairly good level against one of the better teams in the league.....so that is a big plus.

                                          I know Holmgren hoped he didn't play at all. Now that he has and did a good job, maybe that reluctance has diminished? The cat's out of the bag so to speak.

                                          I think a big factor is we don't know what is going on in the meetings between Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini. My personal opinion is the team looks much better and to me at least seems on track for good things, but that's my opinion. Maybe Holmgren and Heck don't feel the same way and wins is going to be a key criteria in Mangini retaining his job. Are they in agreement we are looking and playing better, understand we have had some injury problems, or are they asking all type of pointed questions after the games?

                                          Mangini is the only one who has a feel for how those guys feel. If he feels he is on the hot seat, I would expect to see Jake back in operation. He's only played the one game. So Jake will come in at least 1 more time. If Holmgrem and Heck tell Mangini his job is safe....barring some unforeseen calamity...then we might see Colt a great deal the rest of the way.

                                          I am good either way. In reality we are out of things, but it is a bit too soon to just call it quits, so going back with Jake makes some sense.....but add in a few more losses, which are on the way, then we can go with Colt as preparation for next season. I don't think he needs 10 starts for that preparation....my thinking is 5 solid starts is all a rook needs to no longer be a rook QB.

                                          No doubt he is far from a sage veteran, but 5-6 starts or 5-6 starts of accumulated time on the field is enough for him to feel the fire. To me it's like a soldier in combat. There is a point where you have never been shot at to a point where you have...and it doesn't take all that long to understand it's a whole new ballgame. There is a time to fire and a time to duck, and you better learn that pretty quick.

                                          Nice post. I think the most interesting point though is that success is going to be defined by Holmgren and Heckert's criteria. I doubt that Mangini is in the dark about what that is. I get the feeling that this is not about wins and losses but it is...we will see a change soon absent some wins.

                                          The Colt will stumble at some point. We need to see what he does when that happens. I get the sense though that most fans feel that if he can do as well as he did against the Steelers then perhaps this kid is capable far beyond what we (collectively) gave him credit for.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate