FINALLY
-
At least for me it was never about giving credit or not giving credit. It was simply a matter of seeing what he could do, and is still a matter of seeing how he develops.
No doubt this was a nice debut. So now that he was done that, we know he can do it because the performance wasn't filled with a bunch of lucky plays with the ball bouncing our way at every turn. One would expect the kid will get better. Maybe not next week. More as time takes it's course.
He also showed he is coachable. Early in the game he didn't give some plays time to take shape and didn't totally trust his line. You could see the coaches talking to him and knew they were talking to him about it. The announcers were mentioning the same thing.
Rather than keep doing what he was doing, he listened, and his performance took at from that point. That is a big positive IMO. Too many times young players hear, but don't listen.
At this point you can't tell what might be a negative. A bad play on a players part isn't a negative IMO. Negatives are something in their game that lead them to continued bad plays. I also don't consider things like arm strength, height, etc. negatives as long as it isn't some gross deviation from normal. I agree, a 5'4" QB isn't going to make it. They might not be a plus as they can be for some other players, but you know what they have going in. OK....maybe he won't lob it 65 yards in the air....so what?? Not many of those passes are completed anyway. He has more than enough arm to hit the 15-25 yard routes....routes you can complete with some degree of certainty.
In addition to the before mentioned ability to listen, he also shows the ability to extend plays, which is something you really can't coach. You either have it or you don't, so those two qualities make me think the kid can become a better than average Joe in this league.
That doesn't mean he will as there are other qualities a QB needs, and at this point we aren't far enough in to the book to know how that is going to play out. Those are story lines that take a while to develop, but at least at this point, the first few paragraphs have us hooked.
-
There are two thingss about McCoy that contribute to his developing into a good qb: (1) he HATES to lose!!! (2) he's got GUTS. Add those characteristics to his ability to play, lead, read defenses, and pass the ball accurately and you have the formula for a winner.
-
There are two thingss about McCoy that contribute to his developing into a good qb: (1) he HATES to lose!!! (2) he's got GUTS. Add those characteristics to his ability to play, lead, read defenses, and pass the ball accurately and you have the formula for a winner.
There are two thingss about McCoy that contribute to his developing into a good qb: (1) he HATES to lose!!! (2) he's got GUTS. Add those characteristics to his ability to play, lead, read defenses, and pass the ball accurately and you have the formula for a winner.
True, but I don't know many QB's who make it to a big conference college who like to lose.....shoot, even Jr. High QBs probably don't like to lose.
As for guts, I am not sure what that means??
I guess what I am saying is in many ways it would take some guts to walk on to the railroad tracks and stand there and watch the train mow you down, though not a very smart move.
That said, so far, Colt looks to have what it takes......for one game under the belt, that is.

-
There are two thingss about McCoy that contribute to his developing into a good qb: (1) he HATES to lose!!! (2) he's got GUTS. Add those characteristics to his ability to play, lead, read defenses, and pass the ball accurately and you have the formula for a winner.
There are two thingss about McCoy that contribute to his developing into a good qb: (1) he HATES to lose!!! (2) he's got GUTS. Add those characteristics to his ability to play, lead, read defenses, and pass the ball accurately and you have the formula for a winner.
I was just about to write the same thing before I saw your post. You can't under-estimate the importance of your 1 & 2
-
There are two thingss about McCoy that contribute to his developing into a good qb: (1) he HATES to lose!!! (2) he's got GUTS. Add those characteristics to his ability to play, lead, read defenses, and pass the ball accurately and you have the formula for a winner.
True, but I don't know many QB's who make it to a big conference college who like to lose.....shoot, even Jr. High QBs probably don't like to lose.
As for guts, I am not sure what that means??
I guess what I am saying is in many ways it would take some guts to walk on to the railroad tracks and stand there and watch the train mow you down, though not a very smart move.
That said, so far, Colt looks to have what it takes......for one game under the belt, that is.

True, but I don't know many QB's who make it to a big conference college who like to lose.....shoot, even Jr. High QBs probably don't like to lose.
As for guts, I am not sure what that means??
I guess what I am saying is in many ways it would take some guts to walk on to the railroad tracks and stand there and watch the train mow you down, though not a very smart move.
That said, so far, Colt looks to have what it takes......for one game under the belt, that is.

You are correct in that no athlete likes to lose. I'm just saying that Colt's competitive spirit was obvious. Really, when was the last time we saw that in a Cleveland QB? I think it will mean a lot to his team mates and makes a difference on the field. I remember playing competitive sports with leaders who didn't like to lose. It propelled them, it propelled the rest of the team.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login