Skip to content

Holmgren's Biggest Mistake

The Browns Board
44 20 2.7k
  • Peen, I think the Browns could've drafted a WR in round 3-ish, like Shipley, Sanders, or Price. I also think we could've opened up the coffers for a free agent. But we didn't... and in the long run, it'll be okay.

    @shepwrite said:

    Peen, I think the Browns could've drafted a WR in round 3-ish, like Shipley, Sanders, or Price. I also think we could've opened up the coffers for a free agent. But we didn't... and in the long run, it'll be okay.

    I guess we could have. I don't remember all the picks and what round, or what rounds provided extra picks, but as you said, in the end I trust it is all going to work out.

    I am pretty big on drafting BPA and not drafting for "needs", but I would be shocked if one of our first two selections in the draft didn't supply a receiver....assuming we don't snag a top FA which might alter things a bit.

    At this point I really haven't looked in to what receivers might become available after the season..

  • Of the eight receivers drafted in the 3rd round, only one has more than 25 receptions (Shipley). Watson, Stuckey, and Massaquoi all have caught more passes than the rest of the bunch.

    Adding a 3rd round WR to the stable would have been nice, but it wouldn't necessarily have had much of an impact on this season. Taylor Price hasn't been active for any games, and while Emmanuel Sanders has made some plays, he also dropped a potential game-winning TD pass yesterday.

    Colt's made a bigger impact than the 3rd round wideouts. And after the Hardesty trade, our only shot at one of these WRs would have been if we passed on Freckles. I'm glad we didn't.

  • I think we could've done a lot more with either Shipley or Price, given the opportunity here, but I certainly wouldn't give back Freckles.

    It's a losing game and always more complicated than it seems (revisionist drafting), but I do think the Browns could've added a more serious WR in the offseason. We'll certainly do it now, which might be better in the long run than if we'd stood pat.

  • Julio Jones should not be drafted in the first round. He has had injuries every single year, including a broken hand in October and a knee injury this past weekend. Given the issues with Hardesty, I cannot see the Browns rolling the dice with him.

    I'd go with Baldwin or Floyd if we can't get Green. Broyles is MoMass.