Skip to content

Bye Bye Mangini

Locked The Browns Board
583 96 35.7k
  • Grossi just now:

    Rebuilding totally might not be what Holmgren has in mind. At least one league source with knowledge of the situation believes the odds are strong that Holmgren will take over the coaching duties himself and install the West Coast offense that he learned under Bill Walsh and used to take Green Bay and Seattle to the Super Bowl.

    The source also believes that Holmgren might ask Mangini coordinators Rob Ryan (defense) and Brad Seely (special teams) to stay.

    It's possible that Holmgren will delay an announcement on Mangini's successor because he may have to conduct an interview first with a minority candidate to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule.

    Greg Aiello, NFL spokesman, declined to say whether the rule might be averted in this unique circumstance. After all, the rule would put Holmgren in the position of interviewing a candidate for a job he intends to fill himself. "Let's wait and see what happens. We don't want to get into that type of discussion today," Aiello wrote in an email reply.

    If Holmgren still views McCoy as the team's quarterback of the future, it stands to reason that his development will be a major factor in choosing the team's next coach.

    @shepwrite said:

    Grossi just now:

    Rebuilding totally might not be what Holmgren has in mind. At least one league source with knowledge of the situation believes the odds are strong that Holmgren will take over the coaching duties himself and install the West Coast offense that he learned under Bill Walsh and used to take Green Bay and Seattle to the Super Bowl.

    The source also believes that Holmgren might ask Mangini coordinators Rob Ryan (defense) and Brad Seely (special teams) to stay.

    It's possible that Holmgren will delay an announcement on Mangini's successor because he may have to conduct an interview first with a minority candidate to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule.

    Greg Aiello, NFL spokesman, declined to say whether the rule might be averted in this unique circumstance. After all, the rule would put Holmgren in the position of interviewing a candidate for a job he intends to fill himself. "Let's wait and see what happens. We don't want to get into that type of discussion today," Aiello wrote in an email reply.

    If Holmgren still views McCoy as the team's quarterback of the future, it stands to reason that his development will be a major factor in choosing the team's next coach.

    I really don't think Holms wants to coach again. Why, at his age, would he want to give up 10 hour work days for 10 million a year? Why would he or his family want him to be in Berea 16 hours a day; 7 days a week? I say he keeps Mangini. I pray he keeps Mangini. To watch somebody else come in here and tear down to rebuild again would just make me sick. This was Mangini's first year, I don't count last year because he had to completely purge the orginization, it was damage control and little else. This year, he got the core of his roster in place and future stars in place (Ward, Haden, Hillis, McCoy). The guy deserves another year. And in my opinion, he is the best guy for the job. I hope Holmgren has the balls to stay the course and not hit the panic switch because of yesterday's game. If Mangini goes 2-4 next year, then you throw him out, let Ryan be the temp coach, and hire somebody the day after the season ends.

    In Mangini I Trust

  • @atenears said:

    I wasn't going to even post tonight as this loss just sucks as a season ticket holder. I'm pretty sick of dragging my fat ass down to that sterile stadium to watch this bullshit. I don't know whether Mangini should stay or go, or Rob Ryan, Dabol, Holmgren or anyone else whose finger prints are all over this piece of shit franchise. I'm considering giving my tickets up to charity next year, retaining my PSL, and taking a year off. Attend a couple of games, but not all of them. This shit is just getting old. Between the meaningless preseason games to the meaningless last few games, having tickets to all the games is a negative. Going to a few nice weather games during the middle of the season before we are eliminated from contention is fun ... but this other shit sucks and is actually embarrassing to still hold tickets n 2010.

    Hey, you only have to drive from Berea, how do you think guys like myself and 'Peen feel having to drive anywhere between 3-9 hours to watch the Browns embarrass themselves? But I hear you. Three years of no football and going on 20 year of unabated bad football is enough to make almost anyone give up hope that we could ever be good again.

    McCoy hits a guy in the hands, gets intercepted, Big Poopisberger hits a TD on the next play, and the air goes out of the stadium. Turned it into a home game for the Steelers. If you're so POed at the Browns, for God's sake, burn the damn tickets, don't sell them to Steeler fans- I swear that elevated cameraman was a Steeler Fag. I just finished watching the replay and there's no way in hell the Terrible Toilet Rags should have been getting that much face time. I should have jumped into the Towel lovefest that was getting camera time a couple of rows in front of us and flashed a couple of birds just to get them the hell off of the air.

    And Tomlin has no class- challenging a FIRST DOWN when you're up by 35? Bite me.

    BTW, I've upped my odds on Mangini getting fired from 60% to a near certainty. Last game of the season, you're down 14 points in the first quarter, third and goal- so let's kick a field goal. Even if you don't make it, you force the Squealers to go the length of the field.

    @hoorta said:

    Hey, you only have to drive from Berea, how do you think guys like myself and 'Peen feel having to drive anywhere between 3-9 hours to watch the Browns embarrass themselves? But I hear you. Three years of no football and going on 20 year of unabated bad football is enough to make almost anyone give up hope that we could ever be good again.

    McCoy hits a guy in the hands, gets intercepted, Big Poopisberger hits a TD on the next play, and the air goes out of the stadium. Turned it into a home game for the Steelers. If you're so POed at the Browns, for God's sake, burn the damn tickets, don't sell them to Steeler fans- I swear that elevated cameraman was a Steeler Fag. I just finished watching the replay and there's no way in hell the Terrible Toilet Rags should have been getting that much face time. I should have jumped into the Towel lovefest that was getting camera time a couple of rows in front of us and flashed a couple of birds just to get them the hell off of the air.

    And Tomlin has no class- challenging a FIRST DOWN when you're up by 35? Bite me.

    BTW, I've upped my odds on Mangini getting fired from 60% to a near certainty. Last game of the season, you're down 14 points in the first quarter, third and goal- so let's kick a field goal. Even if you don't make it, you force the Squealers to go the length of the field.

    went to the dive bar where they don't have satellite so i get stuck watching the jets or giants with a bunch of bubbly over .500 fans. brought the laptop and streamed the game. the only series i really got to see was the long time consuming 80ish yard drive. mccoy threw accurate darts when he had to and in the most part our sub-par receivers made the catches. then WTF? we can't punch it in on second and third and goal? we have no running game. yeah i said it. hillis is good and all when he's not dropping the ball but god i hope hardesty gets healthy and stays that way cuz we are doomed and have been in that position for flippin years.

    BUT KICK A FILED GOAL???? YOU'VE GOT NO SEASON LEFT AND YOU ARE DOWN BY 14.................FXXKIN DUMBASS PUSSY MOVE. GO F YOURSELF AND HAVE FUN PLAYIN GOLF NEXT YEAR. I'M FLIPPIN DONE WITH THIS SHIT.

  • @hoorta said:

    Hey, you only have to drive from Berea, how do you think guys like myself and 'Peen feel having to drive anywhere between 3-9 hours to watch the Browns embarrass themselves? But I hear you. Three years of no football and going on 20 year of unabated bad football is enough to make almost anyone give up hope that we could ever be good again.

    McCoy hits a guy in the hands, gets intercepted, Big Poopisberger hits a TD on the next play, and the air goes out of the stadium. Turned it into a home game for the Steelers. If you're so POed at the Browns, for God's sake, burn the damn tickets, don't sell them to Steeler fans- I swear that elevated cameraman was a Steeler Fag. I just finished watching the replay and there's no way in hell the Terrible Toilet Rags should have been getting that much face time. I should have jumped into the Towel lovefest that was getting camera time a couple of rows in front of us and flashed a couple of birds just to get them the hell off of the air.

    And Tomlin has no class- challenging a FIRST DOWN when you're up by 35? Bite me.

    BTW, I've upped my odds on Mangini getting fired from 60% to a near certainty. Last game of the season, you're down 14 points in the first quarter, third and goal- so let's kick a field goal. Even if you don't make it, you force the Squealers to go the length of the field.

    went to the dive bar where they don't have satellite so i get stuck watching the jets or giants with a bunch of bubbly over .500 fans. brought the laptop and streamed the game. the only series i really got to see was the long time consuming 80ish yard drive. mccoy threw accurate darts when he had to and in the most part our sub-par receivers made the catches. then WTF? we can't punch it in on second and third and goal? we have no running game. yeah i said it. hillis is good and all when he's not dropping the ball but god i hope hardesty gets healthy and stays that way cuz we are doomed and have been in that position for flippin years.

    BUT KICK A FILED GOAL???? YOU'VE GOT NO SEASON LEFT AND YOU ARE DOWN BY 14.................FXXKIN DUMBASS PUSSY MOVE. GO F YOURSELF AND HAVE FUN PLAYIN GOLF NEXT YEAR. I'M FLIPPIN DONE WITH THIS SHIT.

    @miktoxic said:

    we have no running game. yeah i said it. hillis is good and all when he's not dropping the ball but god i hope hardesty gets healthy and stays that way cuz we are doomed and have been in that position for flippin years.

    I don't think we're doomed here. It was more that we had no other weapons but Hillis and the D could stack men in the box because they know our receivers aren't a threat.

    I do agree with you on that 4th and goal FG though. I've backed Mangini this whole season but that was definitely a "I give up" play call.

    I've seen the writing on the wall and I know that Mangini is 99.9% going to get fired, I leave that .1% in because that's about as much hope he has to keep his job, but I'm honestly wondering if Holmgren already told him he was getting axed. This team looked flat as hell yesterday and the decision making seemed like he just wanted to get the game over with.