Skip to content

Parcells, Cowher, or Marty not available for HC OR GM WHO IS YOUR PICK FOR EACH!

The Browns Board
26 18 2.1k
  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #21

    More wisdom from Jim "evil defensive genius" Schwartz:

    SCHWARTZ: I think the biggest mistake I’ve made as a coordinator was trying to do everything the exact same way that we had done it the year before. If I’ve learned anything about being a coordinator in this league, I’ve found out you better be adaptable. You better be able to change. In my first year as a coordinator we lost five of our top six defensive backs. We weren’t ready for that. We weren’t ready to have a more simplified scheme, to be able to let the younger guys step in and be a little bit more effective. I don’t know if you can go into a season and say we’re going to be a man team or a blitz team. With the way the salary cap operates, you’re going to have turnover in personnel. One year you may be a great four-man rush team, but the next year you may have to blitz to get pressure on the quarterback. One year you may be really good at playing zone, the next year you may not. The biggest thing is being able to adapt from season to season and accentuate the strengths of your team, while trying to minimize their weaknesses.

    And I love this comment:

    “Football is a game that needs to be played with emotion, intensity and camaraderie,” defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said. “It’s not a just a lunch pail job. You have to bring a little more to it, and that’s what the guys have been doing.”
  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by JewDago
    #22

    that's great stuff. exactly the kind of thing i want to hear my coach say and be able to do.

    he also uses advanced stat analysis, things like DVOA, that football geeks use to determine teams' effectiveness. it likely gives him an edge, and is something i think all teams should do to determine what they're really doing well.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #23

    I'd assumed that Schwartz had a Belichick-like stoic demeanor. Apparently, that's not the case:

    “Sometimes you’ve got to light a fire under people’s butts,” said [LB Brad] Kassell, who received an escort into the end zone from defensive tackle Randy Starks and linebacker Keith Bulluck. “Sometimes that takes getting your butt whooped. We never want to have a performance like that again. The coaches were preaching emotion this week. As you saw this week, we ran around and people made plays. I think we just came out flat last week. As you know, football is an emotional game and you’ve got to play with some emotion.”

    Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz was the team’s biggest emotional leader on the sideline, screaming and gesturing to the crowd on several occasions to make noise. And what he witnessed from his defense was exactly what he expected.

    “Last week we came out dead, and Coach Schwartz made that one of his points in our first meeting,” Bulluck said. “He pointed out only two guys getting excited on our first snap of our NFL season. I’m pretty sure today after our first snap he saw all 11 guys in there and on probably every play getting excited. That’s what football is all about.”

  • Honestly my first choice for GM was to keep Savage, but I already lost on that one. My 2nd choice would be to keep him on as personnel director, but nope.

    GM, I'm not sure, I'd like someone who is going to stick around for a while, build with good talent through the draft, and give us some more players to be proud of.

    Part of my uneasyness with Pioli is that New England really seems to not have any loyalty to a lot of their players. I mean, they've had a revolving door at their RB spot through this entire era. Well, Kevin Faulk has been there a while. And I guess plenty of others have been there for a while, too. . . maybe I'm just uneasy about the execs coming out of New England.

    GM, I'm not sure which direction I would go, as I don't know enough about the candidates and who else is available. I don't particularly like Parcells, but I guess Pioli would be good.

    Coaching, I'd like to go young and fiery. Ryan, Spagnuolo (sp?), McDaniels, Garrett. . .

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @fooleeze said:

    Honestly my first choice for GM was to keep Savage, but I already lost on that one. My 2nd choice would be to keep him on as personnel director, but nope.

    GM, I'm not sure, I'd like someone who is going to stick around for a while, build with good talent through the draft, and give us some more players to be proud of.

    Part of my uneasyness with Pioli is that New England really seems to not have any loyalty to a lot of their players. I mean, they've had a revolving door at their RB spot through this entire era. Well, Kevin Faulk has been there a while. And I guess plenty of others have been there for a while, too. . . maybe I'm just uneasy about the execs coming out of New England.

    GM, I'm not sure which direction I would go, as I don't know enough about the candidates and who else is available. I don't particularly like Parcells, but I guess Pioli would be good.

    Coaching, I'd like to go young and fiery. Ryan, Spagnuolo (sp?), McDaniels, Garrett. . .

    I'm a bit split on the Savage firing. If truth be told, Savage was a terrible personnel manager, then he had no business being anything other than head scout. So if the team had dysfunction from the top, that DOES trickle down. If that is truth, then I'm glad Savage is not our GM. On the flip side, I think he was an excellent talent evaluator, and did a great job on getting our roster majorly upgraded. Even if the talent didn't execute as they should have.

    That being said, I'd like Pioli as GM (not sure I'd like McKay or Reese as both have proven to run dysfunctional front offices). If we can't get Pioli, I don't want a GM. I think we go with a VP of Player Personnel and a VP of Football Operations who would both report to a President.

    For head coach, I think I'd really like to see Grimm. If not Grimm... I'd like to get one of those young guns who nobody thinks is ready, but demands and gets the respect of the players and ekes every last ounce of heart out of them. I mean rookie head coaches can be successful. Look at Pittsburgh, Miami, and Atlanta as examples (Pittsburgh is not a great example, as the team was well set by Cowher and company before Tomlin got there.) But I suppose rookie, young head coaches can be as much a crap shoot as QB's. I mean for every Fisher, Tomlin, Smith, Sparano, you also get a Kiffin, Davis, Belichek (first time), etc. So what young guns out there do I think could be good? Hue Jackson or Rex Ryan.

  • seems like there are two directions lee could go in: he's either a) just the WildDawg guy or 😎 ken whisenhunt. either way, seems like he's worth an interview for OC.

    it does seem we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, though. chud's not even been fired and we're already picking his replacement.

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @jewdago said:

    seems like there are two directions lee could go in: he's either a) just the WildDawg guy or 😎 ken whisenhunt. either way, seems like he's worth an interview for OC.

    it does seem we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, though. chud's not even been fired and we're already picking his replacement.

    I'd actually like to keep Chud. I don't think he's a bad OC. Any OC will look bad when the recievers drop balls and the QB's suck. But if we have to get rid of Chud, then lets get Hue Jackson as OC if not Head Coach.

  • D D'Qwimbley wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Pioli-GM

    Shanahan-HC

    Mangini-DC

    Chud-OC