Skip to content

Third String Qb?

The Browns Board
26 18 2.6k
  • As I have mentioned in other threads I think the Browns should be looking at their third string QB situation simple because of the following facts: Last year the Browns had Delhomme, Wallace, and McCoy all start games because of injuries. And two years ago in 2008 they had to start DA, Quinn, Ken Dorsey, and pickup Gradkowski to start a game all because of injuries to their QBs. I personally am not confident in the likes of Jarret Brown and Troy Weatherhead. They might be OK for the practice squad for future development but for them to come in right now to the the QB of the Browns? I don't think so.

    So? Should the Browns be looking for another veteran type backup. i think we are good with McCoy starting and Wallace at #2, but what about #3? I have checked and found that the following names still appear to be out there and available for pickup:

    Brian Brohm

    Todd Collins

    Brodie Croyle

    Jake Delhomme!

    Charlie Frye!!

    Troy Smith!!!

    Chris Greisen

    J.P. Losman

    J.T. O'Sullivan

    Patrick Ramsey

    Chris Simms

    Would you opt now for picking up any of these?

    The NFL also lists these names as available FAs....but the fact is I believe they have all announced their retirement: Brett Favre, Kerry Collins, Marc Bulger, Chad Pennington

    (Riddle me this: do you think that if the Browns got into a situation like they did in 2008 where three starters went down, if McCoy, Wallace, and whoever else we had all hit the bricks with injuries; that Mike Holmgren would call on a guy that he knows well and that he knows could run the WCO to bail this team out? Yes, I am talking about the gunslinger, ole BF himself)

  • Neh, we'll be fine.

    If we had too pick one, I've always liked watching Todd Collins play.

  • Yup....I'm fine with brown. I wanna see more of weatherhead later on as well.

  • Only pick up one if McCoy and Wallace go down

  • I have no problem with the Browns going with Brown as our third string QB. The FA's will still be there if we ever had those injuries. What I like about Brown is that he could end up being a solid QB. With those other QB's you know exactly what you are getting and that isn't what we need on this team.

    And yes I think Holmgren would call Favre IF the Browns started out strong and had a shot at the playoffs and McCoy went down and Wallace struggled for a couple of games or went down himself.

    What I found amazing about your list is that Seattle doesn't think that there is a name or two on that list that are better than the three QB's that they have in camp. WTF!

    With that said I would take a flyer on Troy Smith if I was in desperate need of a QB. Pennington if I thought he could play like his old self. Always liked Pennington.

  • meanwhile 49ers signed luke mccown.....lmao.

  • Anybody seen enough of Jarrett Brown yet? It is time to get a QB in here so he can learn the system. Besides that, Wallace has sucked balls so far this preseason. He needs pushed.

  • meanwhile 49ers signed luke mccown.....lmao.

    @choco said:

    meanwhile 49ers signed luke mccown.....lmao.

    McCown>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brown

    Although they are both bad enough that it really doesn't merit arguing.

  • To me, Brown looks like DA with more mobility & less downfield ability....That ain't exactly an endorsement!

    I'm not usually big on FAs, but for a 3rd stringer, why not look at Troy Smith if he's available? While possibly undersized, he's mobile, accurate (as I recall), & a local kid.

    Mike

  • as bad as he looked, he can only get better. if we didn't have a resident QB expert, i may agree that its time to move on. the games just too fast for him atm...if he can get that under control (which coaching will help), he could be a viable QB.

    why is it always troy smith or terrell pryor? broken record around here lately....

  • Bring back Charlie

    WSS

  • Bring back Charlie

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Bring back Charlie

    WSS

    LOL! Ding Fryes are done.....

  • Caleb "NFC Championship" Hanie... i wish

  • Sorry, but Jarret Brown should go on the practice squad for a year and try again later.

    Seriously - there are qb's to be let go, who would be great pickups.

    Like any 4th stringer the Lions have near getdownto53players time.

    I only saw Weatherhead throw one pass in that one practice, and it was well off the mark.

    He might be the answer. Jarret Brown is not.

    Yes, if nobody else is out there, I'd like to see them bring in Charlie Frye on a year contract.

  • Chris Simms?????????? Time for me to go get another beer. I still need to drink every time I think of that name.

  • Its not like I was prescient or anything with posting this thread last week, but I think Browns performance showed that I at least had some insight into this situation.

    Jarret Brown is simply not ready to step onto an NFL field....especially in the regular season. I know he didn't complete any of his passes on Friday, and I don't recall if he had a single completion last week....and he is the guy that played. If he is this bad, how bad must Weatherhead be?

    And, like I said, 2 of the past 3 years the Browns had their 3rd and 4th string QBs have to start games.

    Does anyone think there is a chance they could bring back Jake for the veteran minimum?

  • Its not like I was prescient or anything with posting this thread last week, but I think Browns performance showed that I at least had some insight into this situation.

    Jarret Brown is simply not ready to step onto an NFL field....especially in the regular season. I know he didn't complete any of his passes on Friday, and I don't recall if he had a single completion last week....and he is the guy that played. If he is this bad, how bad must Weatherhead be?

    And, like I said, 2 of the past 3 years the Browns had their 3rd and 4th string QBs have to start games.

    Does anyone think there is a chance they could bring back Jake for the veteran minimum?

    @the-gipper said:

    Its not like I was prescient or anything with posting this thread last week, but I think Browns performance showed that I at least had some insight into this situation.

    Jarret Brown is simply not ready to step onto an NFL field....especially in the regular season. I know he didn't complete any of his passes on Friday, and I don't recall if he had a single completion last week....and he is the guy that played. If he is this bad, how bad must Weatherhead be?

    And, like I said, 2 of the past 3 years the Browns had their 3rd and 4th string QBs have to start games.

    Does anyone think there is a chance they could bring back Jake for the veteran minimum?

    Completely agreed! This kid just doesn't look ready! And, if he is playing this badly then Weatherhead must really suck to not be getting a chance. As bad as Brown is playing, can we bring back Tim Couch? lmao...or how 'bout grabbing Akili? They can't be any worse! He was 1/2 with 1 INT against Green Bay and he was a little better...0/4 with 0 INT...against the Lions. I could have completed more passes...to the right uniform color, than this guy. And he hasn't exactly been tearing up the field rushing either. He's got a combined 4 carries for 7 yards in the 2 games. And we have yet to see Weatherhead? Really?

  • Jarrett Brown pissed me off. He played so awful it was hard to watch. He looked completely different than he did against the Pack. At least against the Pack he showed slight flashes of mediocrity. I figured it was just a lack if experience, but I'm not so sure anymore.

  • ^^^ thats exactly what i want to figure out. he looked bad....was that an anomaly, or the norm?

  • ^^^ thats exactly what i want to figure out. he looked bad....was that an anomaly, or the norm?

    @choco said:

    ^^^ thats exactly what i want to figure out. he looked bad....was that an anomaly, or the norm?

    In the two games I have seen him in so far it is the norm.