Skip to content

Lerner officially reaches out to Kokinis

The Browns Board
22 14 1.9k
  • W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Turns out Kokinis started here in Cleveland as well...

    Kokinis began his NFL scouting career with the Browns in 1991 after serving as an intern in the operations department. He has worked 18 years with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome.

    ....almost feels like a 'back to the future, Browns style' movie.

  • Well, it sure does look like it's headed this way.

    I'm not nearly as excited about Mangini-Kokinis as I would be about Pioli-McDaniels but you know what? That lack of excitement might be the best indication that this is the RIGHT move because it's shaping up to be a smart FOOTBALL move and not necessarily a smart PR move.

    Just like the majority of us were in Camp AP or Camp BQ because they had the hot chicks and the drinks with umbrellas in them, the smart guys were in Camp JT with the Buds and the sleeveless shirts stanking of fish and sweat. Because that's where football teams are made and football games are won.

    Similarly, the young, hot prospect with one good year is exciting precisely because he's totally unknown. There's nothing to NOT like. YET.

    So, getting the previously hot coaching prospect who was fired only because the Jets brass got themselves a bad case of Favre-itis (a condition marked by excessive man-love for a "legend" who hasn't won anything in 10 years and throws timely INTs to lose his team games) may be exactly the right idea, especially when the whole organization is in desperate need of a legitimate HC to reset the tone in Berea.

    As for Kokinis, I like the idea that he and Mangini would be a team and I also like the idea that Kokinis could be more of an actual GM, overseeing and managing, instead of being just a personnel guy.

    I'm not excited about it but I am starting to think it could work. That's something, at least.

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @damajuki said:

    As for Kokinis, I like the idea that he and Mangini would be a team and I also like the idea that Kokinis could be more of an actual GM, overseeing and managing, instead of being just a personnel guy.

    I think that's the case for Pioli, not Kokinis.

    As Mary Kay Cabot put it:

    Unlike his predecessor, Phil Savage, Kokinis has not been responsible for the NFL draft. Eric DeCosta, director of college scouting, handles that chore under the direction of Newsome.

    In essence, Kokinis doesn't have the same impressive resume that Savage did with the Ravens. However, he'd have a rapport with Mangini that Savage never had with coach Romeo Crennel.

    So it's more like Kokinis is a personnel guy like Savage, only with a less impressive resume. His main selling point, it seems, is that he won't clash with the head coach, but that doesn't necessarily make him an effective FO manager.