Skip to content

Views On Randy Lerner From A Villa Fan

Locked The Browns Board
85 26 4.8k
  • V Villan1874 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Hi Guys

    Another Villa fan here. First of all thanks for letting me on your board. From the outset I wish to say that I have no wish at all to get into a contest between who are best, the Americans or the British, I'm neither nationality. They are two fine countries with much to be proud about.

    Browns fans, if you'll stick with me for a moment, I just want to give you a little background as to why I'm here. I've been a Villa fan for nearly thirty years now, and, indeed, since Randy Lerner came on the scene, I've taken to keeping an eye on the Browns, too, and when it comes to the NFL they would be the team I follow. Both The Browns and Aston Villa Football Club are two very special sporting institutions that have history, tradition and success coming out of every pore. Both institutions deserve the very best. The people they represent deserve the very best.

    Without boring you folk with statistics and facts and this, that and the other, I'm wondering if there might be some common ground between both sets of supporters? It is clear Randy Lerner is a fine man and gentleman, but it is also equally clear that he he just does not have the means, the skills, the ideas or ambitions to take either institution to where it should be. At Villa there seems to be no sense of leadership or ambition at the moment. Randy's style of leadership - which is silence -is leaving a huge vacuum at the club. Villa re starting to slide, crowds are starting to fall, great players are being sold and inferior players being bought. It is a recipe for disaster and we have no means whatsoever in being able to ask Randy, "Just what is going on?"

    From reading Browns forums I know many of you guys have similar views about Randy. Would it make sense for us to get together and form a transatlantic pressure group to make OUR owner come out and tell us what is going on? We both want to be winning trophies, we both want glory and success. Would it make sense for us to club together and demand of Randy just what his strategies and long term ambitions are for these very special teams that mean so much to us.

    Aston Villa do not exist to just make up the numbers and I'm sure you guys will say the same about The Browns.

    Thanks for the opportunity to voice my concerns.

  • These are the same arguments I had growing up in Leeds. LOL.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @kosar_for_president said:

    These are the same arguments I had growing up in Leeds. LOL.

    You must have had the young man blues when you were live at Leeds, eh?:

  • 1 more season1 1 more season wrote on last edited by
    #43

    Excellent pick Gip!!

    Kosar, Leeds really seriously how can you stand to back 2 team that have had such a storied past and have fallen so far from grace? Not meant to be an insult but admiration.

  • @praymondo said:

    Zombo, so because I like 'soccer' I am gay, thats brilliant, what time does school start, better get your lunch ready.

    anytime anyone here mentions soccer that is Zombo's reply. Surprised this thread hasn't been delete by him because you did.

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @1-more-season said:

    anytime anyone here mentions soccer that is Zombo's reply. Surprised this thread hasn't been delete by him because you did.

    Chelsea is to Leeds fans like the Steelers are to Browns fans. Hate em, lol.

  • Excellent pick Gip!!

    Kosar, Leeds really seriously how can you stand to back 2 team that have had such a storied past and have fallen so far from grace? Not meant to be an insult but admiration.

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @1-more-season said:

    Excellent pick Gip!!

    Kosar, Leeds really seriously how can you stand to back 2 team that have had such a storied past and have fallen so far from grace? Not meant to be an insult but admiration.

    When I lived there they were the shit. And the games, fuck. Louder than most Browns games I went to. David Batty, Vinny Jones, Gordan Strocken, ....

    You can say the same thing about the Browns. It's where I am from, I never forget that.

    Gipper, it was about 20 years ago.

    I met Bobby Charlton, long story.

  • @1-more-season said:

    Excellent pick Gip!!

    Kosar, Leeds really seriously how can you stand to back 2 team that have had such a storied past and have fallen so far from grace? Not meant to be an insult but admiration.

    When I lived there they were the shit. And the games, fuck. Louder than most Browns games I went to. David Batty, Vinny Jones, Gordan Strocken, ....

    You can say the same thing about the Browns. It's where I am from, I never forget that.

    Gipper, it was about 20 years ago.

    I met Bobby Charlton, long story.

    1 more season1 1 more season wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @kosar_for_president said:

    When I lived there they were the shit. And the games, fuck. Louder than most Browns games I went to. David Batty, Vinny Jones, Gordan Strocken, ....

    You can say the same thing about the Browns. It's where I am from, I never forget that.

    Gipper, it was about 20 years ago.

    I met Bobby Charlton, long story.

    Vinny Jones, awesome! I've been to matches in the UK unbelievable atmosphere. Not that big of a Chelsea supporter but I have been to one of their matches in the 90's and I have decided to follow one EPL closely instead of the league as a whole.

  • Hi Guys

    Another Villa fan here. First of all thanks for letting me on your board. From the outset I wish to say that I have no wish at all to get into a contest between who are best, the Americans or the British, I'm neither nationality. They are two fine countries with much to be proud about.

    Browns fans, if you'll stick with me for a moment, I just want to give you a little background as to why I'm here. I've been a Villa fan for nearly thirty years now, and, indeed, since Randy Lerner came on the scene, I've taken to keeping an eye on the Browns, too, and when it comes to the NFL they would be the team I follow. Both The Browns and Aston Villa Football Club are two very special sporting institutions that have history, tradition and success coming out of every pore. Both institutions deserve the very best. The people they represent deserve the very best.

    Without boring you folk with statistics and facts and this, that and the other, I'm wondering if there might be some common ground between both sets of supporters? It is clear Randy Lerner is a fine man and gentleman, but it is also equally clear that he he just does not have the means, the skills, the ideas or ambitions to take either institution to where it should be. At Villa there seems to be no sense of leadership or ambition at the moment. Randy's style of leadership - which is silence -is leaving a huge vacuum at the club. Villa re starting to slide, crowds are starting to fall, great players are being sold and inferior players being bought. It is a recipe for disaster and we have no means whatsoever in being able to ask Randy, "Just what is going on?"

    From reading Browns forums I know many of you guys have similar views about Randy. Would it make sense for us to get together and form a transatlantic pressure group to make OUR owner come out and tell us what is going on? We both want to be winning trophies, we both want glory and success. Would it make sense for us to club together and demand of Randy just what his strategies and long term ambitions are for these very special teams that mean so much to us.

    Aston Villa do not exist to just make up the numbers and I'm sure you guys will say the same about The Browns.

    Thanks for the opportunity to voice my concerns.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @villan1874 said:

    Hi Guys

    Another Villa fan here. First of all thanks for letting me on your board. From the outset I wish to say that I have no wish at all to get into a contest between who are best, the Americans or the British, I'm neither nationality. They are two fine countries with much to be proud about.

    Browns fans, if you'll stick with me for a moment, I just want to give you a little background as to why I'm here. I've been a Villa fan for nearly thirty years now, and, indeed, since Randy Lerner came on the scene, I've taken to keeping an eye on the Browns, too, and when it comes to the NFL they would be the team I follow. Both The Browns and Aston Villa Football Club are two very special sporting institutions that have history, tradition and success coming out of every pore. Both institutions deserve the very best. The people they represent deserve the very best.

    Without boring you folk with statistics and facts and this, that and the other, I'm wondering if there might be some common ground between both sets of supporters? It is clear Randy Lerner is a fine man and gentleman, but it is also equally clear that he he just does not have the means, the skills, the ideas or ambitions to take either institution to where it should be. At Villa there seems to be no sense of leadership or ambition at the moment. Randy's style of leadership - which is silence -is leaving a huge vacuum at the club. Villa re starting to slide, crowds are starting to fall, great players are being sold and inferior players being bought. It is a recipe for disaster and we have no means whatsoever in being able to ask Randy, "Just what is going on?"

    From reading Browns forums I know many of you guys have similar views about Randy. Would it make sense for us to get together and form a transatlantic pressure group to make OUR owner come out and tell us what is going on? We both want to be winning trophies, we both want glory and success. Would it make sense for us to club together and demand of Randy just what his strategies and long term ambitions are for these very special teams that mean so much to us.

    Aston Villa do not exist to just make up the numbers and I'm sure you guys will say the same about The Browns.

    Thanks for the opportunity to voice my concerns.

    Our view may be slightly different. In the past we had here a somewhat meddlesome...but impoverished owner...which led to disaster in terms of the franchise stability. With Randy Lerner we don't have that. Randy has deep pockets and we don't mind at all that he shuts up and lets professionals run the organization. As long as he pays the bills he can hire others that are supposed to have the skills, ambitions, and ideas to make this organization successful. Randy can just STFU and pay the bills for all we care. But, in the past, he has made numerous poor decisions on whom he has put in the position of running the team. Sometimes there have been gaping voids on having a competent professional in place.

    Now, however, theoretically, he has hired one of the most high profile and theoretically competent persons in "American football" to run his organization. He is a former Super Bowl winning coach, a supposed QB guru, and a former club GM. Now he is the team's president. That is Mike Holmgren. "Theoretically" I say because despite Holmgren's illustrious credentials on paper, the on field performance has been pitiful. Holmgre has brought in what I think is a very competent GM (or personell director) in Tom Heckert, but his choice of a Head Coach for this team seems at this point to have been a complete reach based on familial connections and philosophies...NOT on competence. This HC has performed like a rank amateur at times in the view of many.

    So, for the Browns at least, right now, that vacuum of leadership is not supposed to exist. High profile people are in place to do the job that this team needs to get done....they just have to do a better job at their jobs. They...Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur...are to be the face of the franchise, not Randy.

    Maybe we are better off from that perspective. We have not to my knowledge had any "superior" players slip away from us, and due to the "Draft system" the NFL has from the college ranks we believe the Browns have brought in some quality young players. Its just that we need more of them...which we believe we will be getting...and we need them to perform. From that standpoint, perhaps the Browns are better off than Villa.

    Perhaps Randy should sell that team to someone who may be more hands on with it. That is just not his style from what we see.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    When I lived there they were the shit. And the games, fuck. Louder than most Browns games I went to. David Batty, Vinny Jones, Gordan Strocken, ....

    You can say the same thing about the Browns. It's where I am from, I never forget that.

    Gipper, it was about 20 years ago.

    I met Bobby Charlton, long story.

    Vinny Jones, awesome! I've been to matches in the UK unbelievable atmosphere. Not that big of a Chelsea supporter but I have been to one of their matches in the 90's and I have decided to follow one EPL closely instead of the league as a whole.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @1-more-season said:

    Vinny Jones, awesome! I've been to matches in the UK unbelievable atmosphere. Not that big of a Chelsea supporter but I have been to one of their matches in the 90's and I have decided to follow one EPL closely instead of the league as a whole.

    My Uncle lived on The Wirral and was a Liverpool fan. So, considering that he and The Beatles were from there, I chose them as my unofficial English Soccer team. (though I don't really follow it...more of my family over there are Rugby fans)

  • V Villan1874 wrote on last edited by
    #49

    Thanks for the insight Gipper. What you say about poor decisions would be another common theme of Randy's chairmanship. In my heart of hearts I don't think he has the means to run two very demanding operations, with two very demanding sets of fans. I think John Henry might find himself in a similar situation eventually with the Red Sox and Liverpool.

    What you say about Randy's deep pockets is interesting, too. At Villa he is no longer pumping money in (which, to a degree is understandable). It seems the crash, his divorce and various other things have made him look at Villa anew. We are being linked with some very substandard players and the team lies in a fairly lowly position in the table. The problem is, unlike NFL, if Randy's austere approach fails Villa could find themselves relegated and out of the Premier League - which would be disastrous. Villa are the main club in the second largest city in the UK and are being forced to operate on the same level as clubs from much smaller towns and cities. Birmingham is bigger than the cities of Manchester and Liverpool put together, for example, yet its main club is not being driven on to compete. It's a huge, huge undersell of the club. As you say, maybe the answer is that Randy should sell up and move us on to owners who have the wherewithal and strategies to compete.

  • Kennel ClubK Kennel Club wrote on last edited by
    #50

    mikeyP72 said:

    If America didn't help bail out Europe you'd be speaking German right now, that's a fact.

    You red coats didn't fare so well during the Revolution either.

    Just saying.

    Didn't the European French, Dutch and Spanish (and Mel Gibson) help you during the Revolutionary war.

    Just saying.

  • Thanks for the insight Gipper. What you say about poor decisions would be another common theme of Randy's chairmanship. In my heart of hearts I don't think he has the means to run two very demanding operations, with two very demanding sets of fans. I think John Henry might find himself in a similar situation eventually with the Red Sox and Liverpool.

    What you say about Randy's deep pockets is interesting, too. At Villa he is no longer pumping money in (which, to a degree is understandable). It seems the crash, his divorce and various other things have made him look at Villa anew. We are being linked with some very substandard players and the team lies in a fairly lowly position in the table. The problem is, unlike NFL, if Randy's austere approach fails Villa could find themselves relegated and out of the Premier League - which would be disastrous. Villa are the main club in the second largest city in the UK and are being forced to operate on the same level as clubs from much smaller towns and cities. Birmingham is bigger than the cities of Manchester and Liverpool put together, for example, yet its main club is not being driven on to compete. It's a huge, huge undersell of the club. As you say, maybe the answer is that Randy should sell up and move us on to owners who have the wherewithal and strategies to compete.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @villan1874 said:

    Thanks for the insight Gipper. What you say about poor decisions would be another common theme of Randy's chairmanship. In my heart of hearts I don't think he has the means to run two very demanding operations, with two very demanding sets of fans. I think John Henry might find himself in a similar situation eventually with the Red Sox and Liverpool.

    What you say about Randy's deep pockets is interesting, too. At Villa he is no longer pumping money in (which, to a degree is understandable). It seems the crash, his divorce and various other things have made him look at Villa anew. We are being linked with some very substandard players and the team lies in a fairly lowly position in the table. The problem is, unlike NFL, if Randy's austere approach fails Villa could find themselves relegated and out of the Premier League - which would be disastrous. Villa are the main club in the second largest city in the UK and are being forced to operate on the same level as clubs from much smaller towns and cities. Birmingham is bigger than the cities of Manchester and Liverpool put together, for example, yet its main club is not being driven on to compete. It's a huge, huge undersell of the club. As you say, maybe the answer is that Randy should sell up and move us on to owners who have the wherewithal and strategies to compete.

    Well, that is interesting about Randy. Maybe his divorce has affected him. But the NFL is a cash machine, and only a complete and utter moron....like we had here before...could not make money as an NFL owner. With revenue sharing and a salary cap, being able to afford the necessities of the team is not an issue. The EPL may be more like baseball here where deep pockets makes all the difference to competitiveness.

    Randy is still the wealthiest person in Ohio, so finances is not an issue here.

    Maybe for his own sake he should sell Villa....but perhaps his ego will not allow that...despite not outwardly seeming to have an ego.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    When I lived there they were the shit. And the games, fuck. Louder than most Browns games I went to. David Batty, Vinny Jones, Gordan Strocken, ....

    You can say the same thing about the Browns. It's where I am from, I never forget that.

    Gipper, it was about 20 years ago.

    I met Bobby Charlton, long story.

    Vinny Jones, awesome! I've been to matches in the UK unbelievable atmosphere. Not that big of a Chelsea supporter but I have been to one of their matches in the 90's and I have decided to follow one EPL closely instead of the league as a whole.

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @1-more-season said:

    Vinny Jones, awesome! I've been to matches in the UK unbelievable atmosphere. Not that big of a Chelsea supporter but I have been to one of their matches in the 90's and I have decided to follow one EPL closely instead of the league as a whole.

    I've been on the pitch at Old Trafford when Leeds played them. I was on the field at half-time and they announce my name and shit.

  • mikeyP72 said:

    If America didn't help bail out Europe you'd be speaking German right now, that's a fact.

    You red coats didn't fare so well during the Revolution either.

    Just saying.

    Didn't the European French, Dutch and Spanish (and Mel Gibson) help you during the Revolutionary war.

    Just saying.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @kennel-club said:

    Didn't the European French, Dutch and Spanish (and Mel Gibson) help you during the Revolutionary war.

    Just saying.

    The French, yes. Dutch and Spanish less so. I think they just gave some supplies. The Prussians/Polish gave us Von Steuben and Thaddeus Kosciusko

  • How about someone saying "that's what wrong with your country?" I live in the greatest, strongest, country in the world. We have brought liberty and freedom to countries all over the world, including yours.

    No you don't, you live in a Country that starts wars to gain oil, you only get involved when it's worthwhile to your country, as for WW2 you turned up at the end when WE had already all but won it, and your Country creates arseholes like you, case closed.

    I'm 5'11, 195 lb, I exercise everyday. Never had any complaints about penis size from my girlfriends, quite the opposite, however leave it to a soccer fan to obsess over such a thing.

    We only have your word for that, I'm told you are indeed 5'11" but the 195lb is the weight of your excess fat, and you claim to have a girlfriend! Does she have teeth? Is she over 13? I doubt a rape victim would complain about a tint penis, she was probably thankful

    I know there is no "r" in asshole.

    I speak the Queens English, it is Arse, not Ass

    My parents lived a great life, never once spitting tobacco from a trailer porch.

    They had a spittoon! How posh!

    I think it is totally appropriate that I am an administrator of the site, and as so, make fun of soccer homos. It is an individually owned site. It's called free market, Baby. The owner of the site and myself mutually agree that soccer is gay, so we make fun of soccer homos. It is official policy.

    So the site owner is a Retard as well?

    There are many other individually-owned Browns sites you can visit. One of them might be interested in Randy Lerner's soccer team. We officially think it is gay.

    Now why would I go anywhere else when the conversation here is so riveting and high brow?

    How you can call REAL football gay I have no idea, we don't wear 20lbs of body armour and play for ten minutes before we have to rest, you're talking out of your flabby arse.

    djdawg2010D djdawg2010 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @steff-the-villan said:

    How about someone saying "that's what wrong with your country?" I live in the greatest, strongest, country in the world. We have brought liberty and freedom to countries all over the world, including yours.

    No you don't, you live in a Country that starts wars to gain oil, you only get involved when it's worthwhile to your country, as for WW2 you turned up at the end when WE had already all but won it, and your Country creates arseholes like you, case closed.

    I'm 5'11, 195 lb, I exercise everyday. Never had any complaints about penis size from my girlfriends, quite the opposite, however leave it to a soccer fan to obsess over such a thing.

    We only have your word for that, I'm told you are indeed 5'11" but the 195lb is the weight of your excess fat, and you claim to have a girlfriend! Does she have teeth? Is she over 13? I doubt a rape victim would complain about a tint penis, she was probably thankful

    I know there is no "r" in asshole.

    I speak the Queens English, it is Arse, not Ass

    My parents lived a great life, never once spitting tobacco from a trailer porch.

    They had a spittoon! How posh!

    I think it is totally appropriate that I am an administrator of the site, and as so, make fun of soccer homos. It is an individually owned site. It's called free market, Baby. The owner of the site and myself mutually agree that soccer is gay, so we make fun of soccer homos. It is official policy.

    So the site owner is a Retard as well?

    There are many other individually-owned Browns sites you can visit. One of them might be interested in Randy Lerner's soccer team. We officially think it is gay.

    Now why would I go anywhere else when the conversation here is so riveting and high brow?

    How you can call REAL football gay I have no idea, we don't wear 20lbs of body armour and play for ten minutes before we have to rest, you're talking out of your flabby arse.

    Let's see. Where to start? Oh yeah... SOCCER! Not a fan. I'll watch during the World Cup only to cheer for the US, but other than that I don't care. Hey, it's just not our sport in this country. Now on to history. You say you had WWII pretty much won by the time we got over there? Really now? I suppose that you conveniently forget that were it not for us aiding your country with money and weapons prior to our full involvement, not to mention that Hitler decided to become ballsy, and open up a 2nd front and attack The Soviet Union, then declared war on us... .well as another poster pointed out, let's just say that you would probably be speaking German instead of English. Not to mention that the French were absolutely worthless in helping you guys, as all Hitler did was side step that supposed heavily fortfied border called the Maginot Line!

    So you want to bash our foreign policy too! OK, fine. I agree with you in that I certainly don't agree with all of our foreign policies. In fact, I'm tired of us playing the damn world cop and bailing everyone elses asses out (including Europe's) all of the time! I honestly think we should worry about ourselves, and our own issues here, instead of trying to spread "democracy" to those who don't want it or our way of life. If you want our way of life come live here, become a citizen as my ancestors did, and become a productive member of our society, otherwise to each their own. Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for our troops and the military as I had 2 grandfathers who fought in WWII, however; they should be here protecting our borders as they were intended to do, and should only attack if attacked, and then it should be done decisively! In other words, if you mess with the bull, you're gonna get the horns. But don't paint all Americans with a broad brush thinking that we're a bunch of warmongers, who want to take over the world. And don't forget, your country isn't innocent when it comes to being imperialistic! How about all of those colonies in Africa? I guess that you forgot about that though. And yes, we ARE militarily the strongest country in the world! No other foreign force could EVER establish a successful campaign of invading and occupying this country. See we also this little thing called the 2nd Ammendment, and would a "Red Dawn" scenario of sorts happen here, we'd have our US citizens taking up arms to fight!

    Finally, as for Randy Lerner. Let's just say that being an American he should focus more on his NFL team, and start acting more like a real NFL owner. His lack of involvement and letting others run his show has been the problem since he inherited the team from his late father. Talk about pissing your money away!

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Miss the days of the soccer hooligan riots. Not a big soccer fan my damny but i gotta hand it to you folks for supporting your clubs with your mouths and your fists if necessary.

    Seems to be a gentler, softer hooligan these days akin to the shocking amount of mamby-pamby fans i was forced to endure at my last visit to Cleveland Browns Stadium. Miss the days

    of roving skirmishes between pissburgh and Browns fans at old Muni stadium.

  • BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Well, this thread started to turn into a conversation. It's a shame that we can't have a civil conversation with other people that share a common interest from two different sports.

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #57

    Um yeah.. you won WW2? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You pussies were to afraid to fight back after hitler bombed the shit out of you.... over and over and over. Now, you may like getting bombed in the face by your boyfriends jizz, but your pussies put up a few air raid sirens and moved the kids out of the cities to the countryside. That's all but winning WW2? You pussies probably still cower in fear whenever a propeller plane flies overhead. It was mainly the Americans who invaded an occupied France and set up a diversion to help Normandy be successful.

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #58

    and soccer is gay. a bunch of grass fairies running around.

  • F fulford wrote on last edited by
    #59

    a couple of things about the hillbilly yanks

    they play a girlie game of rounders and call it baseball and as the only country gay enough to play it they have the gall to call it the world series

    secondly they are the experts in friendly fire

    so why argue fellow villains with such Retards

    bet zombo was that guy playing the banjo in deliverence or was that his dad

  • a couple of things about the hillbilly yanks

    they play a girlie game of rounders and call it baseball and as the only country gay enough to play it they have the gall to call it the world series

    secondly they are the experts in friendly fire

    so why argue fellow villains with such Retards

    bet zombo was that guy playing the banjo in deliverence or was that his dad

    slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
    #60

    @fulford said:

    a couple of things about the hillbilly yanks

    they play a girlie game of rounders and call it baseball and as the only country gay enough to play it they have the gall to call it the world series

    secondly they are the experts in friendly fire

    so why argue fellow villains with such Retards

    bet zombo was that guy playing the banjo in deliverence or was that his dad

    you call facing down a 100 mph fastball "girlie"?

    we Retards are the reason you aren't lisping in german....you ignorant wanker