Skip to content

Just A Reminder

The Browns Board
86 25 3.6k
  • I read all of this arguing and it just shows how uncertain everything is. The NFL is all about the QB. Winning or losing is all the QBs fault it seems like. Let me start by stating that Im NOT saying Colt is the man by any means, but I'm just so sick of ditching guys and coaches (not that I'm a huge Shurmur fan). It seems like all the guys that are for Colt make valid arguments and while some that are against him do, others have their minds made up, say the same things over and over, and everything goes in one ear and out the other. "NOPE!!" "He's too short, no arm strength, 3rd round pick, good Qbs make the team better" and on and on...Just like many said the similarities between Brees and Mccoy are eerie and Brady was a 6th rounder!! Who all did Brees make look good when he played for the chargers? I mean do any of the top QBs out there not have any big name playmakers? I know that point has been beat to death and the nay sayers cant stand it, but I'll mention it again. Sure you cant only compare Colt to successful QBs without looking at all the failures in the past but like I said, nothing is certain. The only thing that SEEMS certain, is a new QB every few years ISN'T the answer but why? Is Andy Dalton even on the map without AJ Green? Sure RG3 is a great COLLEGE athlete who can run and throw and make a game entertaining when each offense scores on every possession and the final score is 55-60. Could he have done that against Pitt or the ravens defense with our current roster? Ya know guys on both sides could throw comparisons back and forth for hours and still not agree. In interviews Mccoy and Tebow both talked about how much more open guys were in college, and after hearing that I find it kind of silly to get all worked up when comparing apples to oranges like some of the RG3 fans (NO OFFENSE!!!). Does anyone take into account all the top QBs and how high their Olines are ranked? or just that their team won and they have this big name QB and that's why? Does anyone realize how long these top guys have played on the same team and under the same coaches year after year? Like I said I'm in no way shape or form saying Colt is the man, but in our case drafting a new QB every 2 years HASN'T worked, so lets try something difference for once and build the team like say, the steelers did. OR JUST SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It simply amazes me how anyone could've expected this 25 year old KID to just turn the team around in his first year starting with a brand new coach and offense to learn and NO time to practice it due to the lock out. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just SHOCKED that anyone could expect so much from someone in that situation!!! Noone looks at the positive things we did last season considering our circumstances and the tough division we play in. A lot of fans already have their minds made up and wont pay much attention to the obvious holes we need to fill, they want to win and they want it now. Ive been a browns fan for 20 years so I'm used to suffering, but heck, Id like to see what Colt can do with some talent and some MORE TIME playing with the same guys and under one coaching staff. FLAME SUIT ON πŸ™„ . The top draft QB is always a 50/50 gamble of being a bust so I don't understand how some people are so certain RG3 is going to be great? same with Luck? Just because they played good college ball or watched some highlight videos of them against Big 12 or PAC 10 defenses πŸ™„ or because the prospectors say so? While RG3 is a GREAT college athlete....I'm not risking it. I am curious to see though, if we do draft RG3 SOMEHOW...How many of his current drooling Cleveland fans will want him thrown out to the wolves in a year or 2 if he doesn't produce.

  • I read all of this arguing and it just shows how uncertain everything is. The NFL is all about the QB. Winning or losing is all the QBs fault it seems like. Let me start by stating that Im NOT saying Colt is the man by any means, but I'm just so sick of ditching guys and coaches (not that I'm a huge Shurmur fan). It seems like all the guys that are for Colt make valid arguments and while some that are against him do, others have their minds made up, say the same things over and over, and everything goes in one ear and out the other. "NOPE!!" "He's too short, no arm strength, 3rd round pick, good Qbs make the team better" and on and on...Just like many said the similarities between Brees and Mccoy are eerie and Brady was a 6th rounder!! Who all did Brees make look good when he played for the chargers? I mean do any of the top QBs out there not have any big name playmakers? I know that point has been beat to death and the nay sayers cant stand it, but I'll mention it again. Sure you cant only compare Colt to successful QBs without looking at all the failures in the past but like I said, nothing is certain. The only thing that SEEMS certain, is a new QB every few years ISN'T the answer but why? Is Andy Dalton even on the map without AJ Green? Sure RG3 is a great COLLEGE athlete who can run and throw and make a game entertaining when each offense scores on every possession and the final score is 55-60. Could he have done that against Pitt or the ravens defense with our current roster? Ya know guys on both sides could throw comparisons back and forth for hours and still not agree. In interviews Mccoy and Tebow both talked about how much more open guys were in college, and after hearing that I find it kind of silly to get all worked up when comparing apples to oranges like some of the RG3 fans (NO OFFENSE!!!). Does anyone take into account all the top QBs and how high their Olines are ranked? or just that their team won and they have this big name QB and that's why? Does anyone realize how long these top guys have played on the same team and under the same coaches year after year? Like I said I'm in no way shape or form saying Colt is the man, but in our case drafting a new QB every 2 years HASN'T worked, so lets try something difference for once and build the team like say, the steelers did. OR JUST SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It simply amazes me how anyone could've expected this 25 year old KID to just turn the team around in his first year starting with a brand new coach and offense to learn and NO time to practice it due to the lock out. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just SHOCKED that anyone could expect so much from someone in that situation!!! Noone looks at the positive things we did last season considering our circumstances and the tough division we play in. A lot of fans already have their minds made up and wont pay much attention to the obvious holes we need to fill, they want to win and they want it now. Ive been a browns fan for 20 years so I'm used to suffering, but heck, Id like to see what Colt can do with some talent and some MORE TIME playing with the same guys and under one coaching staff. FLAME SUIT ON πŸ™„ . The top draft QB is always a 50/50 gamble of being a bust so I don't understand how some people are so certain RG3 is going to be great? same with Luck? Just because they played good college ball or watched some highlight videos of them against Big 12 or PAC 10 defenses πŸ™„ or because the prospectors say so? While RG3 is a GREAT college athlete....I'm not risking it. I am curious to see though, if we do draft RG3 SOMEHOW...How many of his current drooling Cleveland fans will want him thrown out to the wolves in a year or 2 if he doesn't produce.

    @ppe6.6 said:

    I read all of this arguing and it just shows how uncertain everything is. The NFL is all about the QB. Winning or losing is all the QBs fault it seems like. Let me start by stating that Im NOT saying Colt is the man by any means, but I'm just so sick of ditching guys and coaches (not that I'm a huge Shurmur fan). It seems like all the guys that are for Colt make valid arguments and while some that are against him do, others have their minds made up, say the same things over and over, and everything goes in one ear and out the other. "NOPE!!" "He's too short, no arm strength, 3rd round pick, good Qbs make the team better" and on and on...Just like many said the similarities between Brees and Mccoy are eerie and Brady was a 6th rounder!! Who all did Brees make look good when he played for the chargers? I mean do any of the top QBs out there not have any big name playmakers? I know that point has been beat to death and the nay sayers cant stand it, but I'll mention it again. Sure you cant only compare Colt to successful QBs without looking at all the failures in the past but like I said, nothing is certain. The only thing that SEEMS certain, is a new QB every few years ISN'T the answer but why? Is Andy Dalton even on the map without AJ Green? Sure RG3 is a great COLLEGE athlete who can run and throw and make a game entertaining when each offense scores on every possession and the final score is 55-60. Could he have done that against Pitt or the ravens defense with our current roster? Ya know guys on both sides could throw comparisons back and forth for hours and still not agree. In interviews Mccoy and Tebow both talked about how much more open guys were in college, and after hearing that I find it kind of silly to get all worked up when comparing apples to oranges like some of the RG3 fans (NO OFFENSE!!!). Does anyone take into account all the top QBs and how high their Olines are ranked? or just that their team won and they have this big name QB and that's why? Does anyone realize how long these top guys have played on the same team and under the same coaches year after year? Like I said I'm in no way shape or form saying Colt is the man, but in our case drafting a new QB every 2 years HASN'T worked, so lets try something difference for once and build the team like say, the steelers did. OR JUST SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It simply amazes me how anyone could've expected this 25 year old KID to just turn the team around in his first year starting with a brand new coach and offense to learn and NO time to practice it due to the lock out. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just SHOCKED that anyone could expect so much from someone in that situation!!! Noone looks at the positive things we did last season considering our circumstances and the tough division we play in. A lot of fans already have their minds made up and wont pay much attention to the obvious holes we need to fill, they want to win and they want it now. Ive been a browns fan for 20 years so I'm used to suffering, but heck, Id like to see what Colt can do with some talent and some MORE TIME playing with the same guys and under one coaching staff. FLAME SUIT ON πŸ™„ . The top draft QB is always a 50/50 gamble of being a bust so I don't understand how some people are so certain RG3 is going to be great? same with Luck? Just because they played good college ball or watched some highlight videos of them against Big 12 or PAC 10 defenses πŸ™„ or because the prospectors say so? While RG3 is a GREAT college athlete....I'm not risking it. I am curious to see though, if we do draft RG3 SOMEHOW...How many of his current drooling Cleveland fans will want him thrown out to the wolves in a year or 2 if he doesn't produce.

    Excellent post!

    Mike

  • I read all of this arguing and it just shows how uncertain everything is. The NFL is all about the QB. Winning or losing is all the QBs fault it seems like. Let me start by stating that Im NOT saying Colt is the man by any means, but I'm just so sick of ditching guys and coaches (not that I'm a huge Shurmur fan). It seems like all the guys that are for Colt make valid arguments and while some that are against him do, others have their minds made up, say the same things over and over, and everything goes in one ear and out the other. "NOPE!!" "He's too short, no arm strength, 3rd round pick, good Qbs make the team better" and on and on...Just like many said the similarities between Brees and Mccoy are eerie and Brady was a 6th rounder!! Who all did Brees make look good when he played for the chargers? I mean do any of the top QBs out there not have any big name playmakers? I know that point has been beat to death and the nay sayers cant stand it, but I'll mention it again. Sure you cant only compare Colt to successful QBs without looking at all the failures in the past but like I said, nothing is certain. The only thing that SEEMS certain, is a new QB every few years ISN'T the answer but why? Is Andy Dalton even on the map without AJ Green? Sure RG3 is a great COLLEGE athlete who can run and throw and make a game entertaining when each offense scores on every possession and the final score is 55-60. Could he have done that against Pitt or the ravens defense with our current roster? Ya know guys on both sides could throw comparisons back and forth for hours and still not agree. In interviews Mccoy and Tebow both talked about how much more open guys were in college, and after hearing that I find it kind of silly to get all worked up when comparing apples to oranges like some of the RG3 fans (NO OFFENSE!!!). Does anyone take into account all the top QBs and how high their Olines are ranked? or just that their team won and they have this big name QB and that's why? Does anyone realize how long these top guys have played on the same team and under the same coaches year after year? Like I said I'm in no way shape or form saying Colt is the man, but in our case drafting a new QB every 2 years HASN'T worked, so lets try something difference for once and build the team like say, the steelers did. OR JUST SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It simply amazes me how anyone could've expected this 25 year old KID to just turn the team around in his first year starting with a brand new coach and offense to learn and NO time to practice it due to the lock out. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just SHOCKED that anyone could expect so much from someone in that situation!!! Noone looks at the positive things we did last season considering our circumstances and the tough division we play in. A lot of fans already have their minds made up and wont pay much attention to the obvious holes we need to fill, they want to win and they want it now. Ive been a browns fan for 20 years so I'm used to suffering, but heck, Id like to see what Colt can do with some talent and some MORE TIME playing with the same guys and under one coaching staff. FLAME SUIT ON πŸ™„ . The top draft QB is always a 50/50 gamble of being a bust so I don't understand how some people are so certain RG3 is going to be great? same with Luck? Just because they played good college ball or watched some highlight videos of them against Big 12 or PAC 10 defenses πŸ™„ or because the prospectors say so? While RG3 is a GREAT college athlete....I'm not risking it. I am curious to see though, if we do draft RG3 SOMEHOW...How many of his current drooling Cleveland fans will want him thrown out to the wolves in a year or 2 if he doesn't produce.

    @ppe6.6 said:

    I read all of this arguing and it just shows how uncertain everything is. The NFL is all about the QB. Winning or losing is all the QBs fault it seems like. Let me start by stating that Im NOT saying Colt is the man by any means, but I'm just so sick of ditching guys and coaches (not that I'm a huge Shurmur fan). It seems like all the guys that are for Colt make valid arguments and while some that are against him do, others have their minds made up, say the same things over and over, and everything goes in one ear and out the other. "NOPE!!" "He's too short, no arm strength, 3rd round pick, good Qbs make the team better" and on and on...Just like many said the similarities between Brees and Mccoy are eerie and Brady was a 6th rounder!! Who all did Brees make look good when he played for the chargers? I mean do any of the top QBs out there not have any big name playmakers? I know that point has been beat to death and the nay sayers cant stand it, but I'll mention it again. Sure you cant only compare Colt to successful QBs without looking at all the failures in the past but like I said, nothing is certain. The only thing that SEEMS certain, is a new QB every few years ISN'T the answer but why? Is Andy Dalton even on the map without AJ Green? Sure RG3 is a great COLLEGE athlete who can run and throw and make a game entertaining when each offense scores on every possession and the final score is 55-60. Could he have done that against Pitt or the ravens defense with our current roster? Ya know guys on both sides could throw comparisons back and forth for hours and still not agree. In interviews Mccoy and Tebow both talked about how much more open guys were in college, and after hearing that I find it kind of silly to get all worked up when comparing apples to oranges like some of the RG3 fans (NO OFFENSE!!!). Does anyone take into account all the top QBs and how high their Olines are ranked? or just that their team won and they have this big name QB and that's why? Does anyone realize how long these top guys have played on the same team and under the same coaches year after year? Like I said I'm in no way shape or form saying Colt is the man, but in our case drafting a new QB every 2 years HASN'T worked, so lets try something difference for once and build the team like say, the steelers did. OR JUST SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It simply amazes me how anyone could've expected this 25 year old KID to just turn the team around in his first year starting with a brand new coach and offense to learn and NO time to practice it due to the lock out. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just SHOCKED that anyone could expect so much from someone in that situation!!! Noone looks at the positive things we did last season considering our circumstances and the tough division we play in. A lot of fans already have their minds made up and wont pay much attention to the obvious holes we need to fill, they want to win and they want it now. Ive been a browns fan for 20 years so I'm used to suffering, but heck, Id like to see what Colt can do with some talent and some MORE TIME playing with the same guys and under one coaching staff. FLAME SUIT ON πŸ™„ . The top draft QB is always a 50/50 gamble of being a bust so I don't understand how some people are so certain RG3 is going to be great? same with Luck? Just because they played good college ball or watched some highlight videos of them against Big 12 or PAC 10 defenses πŸ™„ or because the prospectors say so? While RG3 is a GREAT college athlete....I'm not risking it. I am curious to see though, if we do draft RG3 SOMEHOW...How many of his current drooling Cleveland fans will want him thrown out to the wolves in a year or 2 if he doesn't produce.

    THEORY OF -RELATIVITY instance of motion of a particular body or also of almost any

    observable motion of bodies in general, leading to a high degree

    of completeness, exactness and simplicity, while other frame-

    works (moving in an arbitrary manner relatively to those) give of

    the same phenomena a most complicated, intricate and confused

    picture.* Suppose that somebody, ignorant of the work of Copernicus,

    Galileo and Newton, but otherwise gifted with the highest experi-

    mental abilities and mathematical skill (a quite imaginary supposition,

    being hardly consistent with the first one), chooses the interior of an

    old-fashioned coach, driven along a fairly rough road, as his laboratory

    and tries to investigate the laws of motion of bodies enclosed together

    with him in the coach say, of a pendulum or of a spinning top and

    selects that vehicle as his system of reference. Then his tangible

    bodies and his conceptual * material points,' starting from rest or any

    given velocity, would describe the most wonderful paths, in incessant

    shocks and jerky motions; the axis of his 'free gyroscope' would oscillate

    in a most complicated way, never disclosing to him the constancy of

    the vector known to us as the 'angular momentum,' i.e. the rotatory

    analogue of Newton's first law of motion. Nor would the uniform

    translational motion have for him any peculiarly simple or generally

    noteworthy properties at all. His mechanical experience being, in a

    word, full of surprises, he would soon give up his task of stating any

    laws of motion whatever with reference to the coach. Getting out of

    it on to firm ground, he will readily find out that the earth is a much

    better system of reference. With this framework, smoothness and

    simplicity will take the place of hopeless irregularity. Undoubtedly,

    this property must have been remarked in a very early stage of man's

    history, and the above example will appear to the least trained student

    of mechanics of our present times trivial and simply ridiculous. ' Of

    course,' he would say, ' the motions of material bodies relatively to

    that coach are so very complicated, for that vehicle is itself moving in

    a highly complicated way.' He would hardly consider it worth while

    to add ' relatively to the earth.' The coach being such a small, insigni-

    ficant thing in comparison with the terrestrial globe, it would seem

    extravagant to our interlocutor, if somebody insisted rather on saying

    that it is the earth which moves in such a complicated way relatively.

    * And as to 'absolute motion,' regardless of any system of reference, it is need-

    less to mention that it is devoid of meaning in exactly the same way as ' absolute

    position.'

  • @ppe6.6 said:

    I read all of this arguing and it just shows how uncertain everything is. The NFL is all about the QB. Winning or losing is all the QBs fault it seems like. Let me start by stating that Im NOT saying Colt is the man by any means, but I'm just so sick of ditching guys and coaches (not that I'm a huge Shurmur fan). It seems like all the guys that are for Colt make valid arguments and while some that are against him do, others have their minds made up, say the same things over and over, and everything goes in one ear and out the other. "NOPE!!" "He's too short, no arm strength, 3rd round pick, good Qbs make the team better" and on and on...Just like many said the similarities between Brees and Mccoy are eerie and Brady was a 6th rounder!! Who all did Brees make look good when he played for the chargers? I mean do any of the top QBs out there not have any big name playmakers? I know that point has been beat to death and the nay sayers cant stand it, but I'll mention it again. Sure you cant only compare Colt to successful QBs without looking at all the failures in the past but like I said, nothing is certain. The only thing that SEEMS certain, is a new QB every few years ISN'T the answer but why? Is Andy Dalton even on the map without AJ Green? Sure RG3 is a great COLLEGE athlete who can run and throw and make a game entertaining when each offense scores on every possession and the final score is 55-60. Could he have done that against Pitt or the ravens defense with our current roster? Ya know guys on both sides could throw comparisons back and forth for hours and still not agree. In interviews Mccoy and Tebow both talked about how much more open guys were in college, and after hearing that I find it kind of silly to get all worked up when comparing apples to oranges like some of the RG3 fans (NO OFFENSE!!!). Does anyone take into account all the top QBs and how high their Olines are ranked? or just that their team won and they have this big name QB and that's why? Does anyone realize how long these top guys have played on the same team and under the same coaches year after year? Like I said I'm in no way shape or form saying Colt is the man, but in our case drafting a new QB every 2 years HASN'T worked, so lets try something difference for once and build the team like say, the steelers did. OR JUST SOMETHING DIFFERENT! It simply amazes me how anyone could've expected this 25 year old KID to just turn the team around in his first year starting with a brand new coach and offense to learn and NO time to practice it due to the lock out. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just SHOCKED that anyone could expect so much from someone in that situation!!! Noone looks at the positive things we did last season considering our circumstances and the tough division we play in. A lot of fans already have their minds made up and wont pay much attention to the obvious holes we need to fill, they want to win and they want it now. Ive been a browns fan for 20 years so I'm used to suffering, but heck, Id like to see what Colt can do with some talent and some MORE TIME playing with the same guys and under one coaching staff. FLAME SUIT ON πŸ™„ . The top draft QB is always a 50/50 gamble of being a bust so I don't understand how some people are so certain RG3 is going to be great? same with Luck? Just because they played good college ball or watched some highlight videos of them against Big 12 or PAC 10 defenses πŸ™„ or because the prospectors say so? While RG3 is a GREAT college athlete....I'm not risking it. I am curious to see though, if we do draft RG3 SOMEHOW...How many of his current drooling Cleveland fans will want him thrown out to the wolves in a year or 2 if he doesn't produce.

    THEORY OF -RELATIVITY instance of motion of a particular body or also of almost any

    observable motion of bodies in general, leading to a high degree

    of completeness, exactness and simplicity, while other frame-

    works (moving in an arbitrary manner relatively to those) give of

    the same phenomena a most complicated, intricate and confused

    picture.* Suppose that somebody, ignorant of the work of Copernicus,

    Galileo and Newton, but otherwise gifted with the highest experi-

    mental abilities and mathematical skill (a quite imaginary supposition,

    being hardly consistent with the first one), chooses the interior of an

    old-fashioned coach, driven along a fairly rough road, as his laboratory

    and tries to investigate the laws of motion of bodies enclosed together

    with him in the coach say, of a pendulum or of a spinning top and

    selects that vehicle as his system of reference. Then his tangible

    bodies and his conceptual * material points,' starting from rest or any

    given velocity, would describe the most wonderful paths, in incessant

    shocks and jerky motions; the axis of his 'free gyroscope' would oscillate

    in a most complicated way, never disclosing to him the constancy of

    the vector known to us as the 'angular momentum,' i.e. the rotatory

    analogue of Newton's first law of motion. Nor would the uniform

    translational motion have for him any peculiarly simple or generally

    noteworthy properties at all. His mechanical experience being, in a

    word, full of surprises, he would soon give up his task of stating any

    laws of motion whatever with reference to the coach. Getting out of

    it on to firm ground, he will readily find out that the earth is a much

    better system of reference. With this framework, smoothness and

    simplicity will take the place of hopeless irregularity. Undoubtedly,

    this property must have been remarked in a very early stage of man's

    history, and the above example will appear to the least trained student

    of mechanics of our present times trivial and simply ridiculous. ' Of

    course,' he would say, ' the motions of material bodies relatively to

    that coach are so very complicated, for that vehicle is itself moving in

    a highly complicated way.' He would hardly consider it worth while

    to add ' relatively to the earth.' The coach being such a small, insigni-

    ficant thing in comparison with the terrestrial globe, it would seem

    extravagant to our interlocutor, if somebody insisted rather on saying

    that it is the earth which moves in such a complicated way relatively.

    * And as to 'absolute motion,' regardless of any system of reference, it is need-

    less to mention that it is devoid of meaning in exactly the same way as ' absolute

    position.'

    @the-gipper said:

    THEORY OF -RELATIVITY instance of motion of a particular body or also of almost any

    observable motion of bodies in general, leading to a high degree

    of completeness, exactness and simplicity, while other frame-

    works (moving in an arbitrary manner relatively to those) give of

    the same phenomena a most complicated, intricate and confused

    picture.* Suppose that somebody, ignorant of the work of Copernicus,

    Galileo and Newton, but otherwise gifted with the highest experi-

    mental abilities and mathematical skill (a quite imaginary supposition,

    being hardly consistent with the first one), chooses the interior of an

    old-fashioned coach, driven along a fairly rough road, as his laboratory

    and tries to investigate the laws of motion of bodies enclosed together

    with him in the coach say, of a pendulum or of a spinning top and

    selects that vehicle as his system of reference. Then his tangible

    bodies and his conceptual * material points,' starting from rest or any

    given velocity, would describe the most wonderful paths, in incessant

    shocks and jerky motions; the axis of his 'free gyroscope' would oscillate

    in a most complicated way, never disclosing to him the constancy of

    the vector known to us as the 'angular momentum,' i.e. the rotatory

    analogue of Newton's first law of motion. Nor would the uniform

    translational motion have for him any peculiarly simple or generally

    noteworthy properties at all. His mechanical experience being, in a

    word, full of surprises, he would soon give up his task of stating any

    laws of motion whatever with reference to the coach. Getting out of

    it on to firm ground, he will readily find out that the earth is a much

    better system of reference. With this framework, smoothness and

    simplicity will take the place of hopeless irregularity. Undoubtedly,

    this property must have been remarked in a very early stage of man's

    history, and the above example will appear to the least trained student

    of mechanics of our present times trivial and simply ridiculous. ' Of

    course,' he would say, ' the motions of material bodies relatively to

    that coach are so very complicated, for that vehicle is itself moving in

    a highly complicated way.' He would hardly consider it worth while

    to add ' relatively to the earth.' The coach being such a small, insigni-

    ficant thing in comparison with the terrestrial globe, it would seem

    extravagant to our interlocutor, if somebody insisted rather on saying

    that it is the earth which moves in such a complicated way relatively.

    * And as to 'absolute motion,' regardless of any system of reference, it is need-

    less to mention that it is devoid of meaning in exactly the same way as ' absolute

    position.'

    Oh snap!!!! You just got Newton-ed

  • @the-gipper said:

    THEORY OF -RELATIVITY instance of motion of a particular body or also of almost any

    observable motion of bodies in general, leading to a high degree

    of completeness, exactness and simplicity, while other frame-

    works (moving in an arbitrary manner relatively to those) give of

    the same phenomena a most complicated, intricate and confused

    picture.* Suppose that somebody, ignorant of the work of Copernicus,

    Galileo and Newton, but otherwise gifted with the highest experi-

    mental abilities and mathematical skill (a quite imaginary supposition,

    being hardly consistent with the first one), chooses the interior of an

    old-fashioned coach, driven along a fairly rough road, as his laboratory

    and tries to investigate the laws of motion of bodies enclosed together

    with him in the coach say, of a pendulum or of a spinning top and

    selects that vehicle as his system of reference. Then his tangible

    bodies and his conceptual * material points,' starting from rest or any

    given velocity, would describe the most wonderful paths, in incessant

    shocks and jerky motions; the axis of his 'free gyroscope' would oscillate

    in a most complicated way, never disclosing to him the constancy of

    the vector known to us as the 'angular momentum,' i.e. the rotatory

    analogue of Newton's first law of motion. Nor would the uniform

    translational motion have for him any peculiarly simple or generally

    noteworthy properties at all. His mechanical experience being, in a

    word, full of surprises, he would soon give up his task of stating any

    laws of motion whatever with reference to the coach. Getting out of

    it on to firm ground, he will readily find out that the earth is a much

    better system of reference. With this framework, smoothness and

    simplicity will take the place of hopeless irregularity. Undoubtedly,

    this property must have been remarked in a very early stage of man's

    history, and the above example will appear to the least trained student

    of mechanics of our present times trivial and simply ridiculous. ' Of

    course,' he would say, ' the motions of material bodies relatively to

    that coach are so very complicated, for that vehicle is itself moving in

    a highly complicated way.' He would hardly consider it worth while

    to add ' relatively to the earth.' The coach being such a small, insigni-

    ficant thing in comparison with the terrestrial globe, it would seem

    extravagant to our interlocutor, if somebody insisted rather on saying

    that it is the earth which moves in such a complicated way relatively.

    * And as to 'absolute motion,' regardless of any system of reference, it is need-

    less to mention that it is devoid of meaning in exactly the same way as ' absolute

    position.'

    Oh snap!!!! You just got Newton-ed

    @taco918 said:

    Oh snap!!!! You just got Newton-ed

    You mean Norman Einsteined?

  • Hahaha touche