Skip to content

Big John Hughes Tweaked Hammy Again

The Browns Board
51 13 2.4k
  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mike-h said:

    Could be wrong but I'm almost positive Rubin is the 1-gap.

    Rubin is 310 and Taylor is 335, that's why I am assuming that Rubin plays more 3 gap. Plus a lot of the time they lined up neutral both being in the 2 gap.

  • Not sure if this the same hammy he has been having issues with. it was like 3 months ago he aggravated it and was held out of certain combine drills. So I guess we are down to winn now.

    Weeden reminds me a bit of a mashup between Delhome and Marino.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @brownfish said:

    Not sure if this the same hammy he has been having issues with. it was like 3 months ago he aggravated it and was held out of certain combine drills. So I guess we are down to winn now.

    Weeden reminds me a bit of a mashup between Delhome and Marino.

    Is there a link to a source??

  • Homotron said:

    A persistent hamstring problem doesn't just go away. Woodley battled one all season last year and never fully recovered. Arian Foster is on the cusp of not being able to play at all if he continues to injure his. A reoccurring hamstring issue is nothing to scoff at, period.

    I agree. I mean, didn't Browns lose Peyton Hillis last year for half the season because of a hamstring or groin pull?

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @the-gipper said:

    I agree. I mean, didn't Browns lose Peyton Hillis last year for half the season because of a hamstring or groin pull?

    It's a substantial injury that people routinely downplay. I'm guessing because they too have tweaked a hamstring or two, the difference is usually one person is playing a sport at a very high level and the other is just going through day to day activities. Arian Foster has a suspect hamstring for example and I referenced it earlier in the thread. Doctors have flat out told him that if he continues to tweak it, it could prevent him from playing. Hell the hamstring is one of the most substantial muscles in your body, if it's not working properly your explosion, agility/lateral movement goes out the window.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I agree. I mean, didn't Browns lose Peyton Hillis last year for half the season because of a hamstring or groin pull?

    It's a substantial injury that people routinely downplay. I'm guessing because they too have tweaked a hamstring or two, the difference is usually one person is playing a sport at a very high level and the other is just going through day to day activities. Arian Foster has a suspect hamstring for example and I referenced it earlier in the thread. Doctors have flat out told him that if he continues to tweak it, it could prevent him from playing. Hell the hamstring is one of the most substantial muscles in your body, if it's not working properly your explosion, agility/lateral movement goes out the window.

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Homotron said:

    It's a substantial injury that people routinely downplay. I'm guessing because they too have tweaked a hamstring or two, the difference is usually one person is playing a sport at a very high level and the other is just going through day to day activities. Arian Foster has a suspect hamstring for example and I referenced it earlier in the thread. Doctors have flat out told him that if he continues to tweak it, it could prevent him from playing. Hell the hamstring is one of the most substantial muscles in your body, if it's not working properly your explosion, agility/lateral movement goes out the window.

    There is a huge difference though between tweaking your hammy during the season and trying to play on it and doing it during the offseason and having ample time to heal. That is why I'm not worried. By the time preseason and the regular season start he should be 100%.

  • Homotron said:

    It's a substantial injury that people routinely downplay. I'm guessing because they too have tweaked a hamstring or two, the difference is usually one person is playing a sport at a very high level and the other is just going through day to day activities. Arian Foster has a suspect hamstring for example and I referenced it earlier in the thread. Doctors have flat out told him that if he continues to tweak it, it could prevent him from playing. Hell the hamstring is one of the most substantial muscles in your body, if it's not working properly your explosion, agility/lateral movement goes out the window.

    There is a huge difference though between tweaking your hammy during the season and trying to play on it and doing it during the offseason and having ample time to heal. That is why I'm not worried. By the time preseason and the regular season start he should be 100%.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @harry-buffalo said:

    There is a huge difference though between tweaking your hammy during the season and trying to play on it and doing it during the offseason and having ample time to heal. That is why I'm not worried. By the time preseason and the regular season start he should be 100%.

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Again, is there any conformation of this???

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    There is a huge difference though between tweaking your hammy during the season and trying to play on it and doing it during the offseason and having ample time to heal. That is why I'm not worried. By the time preseason and the regular season start he should be 100%.

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    chocoC choco wrote on last edited by choco
    #27

    Homotron said:

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    thats a long corner at 3.5 months

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    There is a huge difference though between tweaking your hammy during the season and trying to play on it and doing it during the offseason and having ample time to heal. That is why I'm not worried. By the time preseason and the regular season start he should be 100%.

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Homotron said:

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    Ya, a hammy takes a month to heal. When is preseason again? August. He is going to be fine. Unbunch your panties please.

  • Again, is there any conformation of this???

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    Again, is there any conformation of this???

    Grossi mentioned it on ESPN. But he also said that he was just getting it iced on the sideline and that it was a tweak, not a full on tearing pull like Hillis dealed with. Even if it is, one again, months to heal.

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    There is a huge difference though between tweaking your hammy during the season and trying to play on it and doing it during the offseason and having ample time to heal. That is why I'm not worried. By the time preseason and the regular season start he should be 100%.

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Homotron said:

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    If Training Camp starts in early August it may only be about 10 weeks away. Hopefully that is enough time to heal. Hillis had nothing like that kind of time before he was pressured to get back in there and start contributing.

  • ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I'm also not overly worried about a run-stopping DT having a tweaked hammy. Yes, it hurts their explosion. So he won't be providing much pass rush or TFL's. But you don't need a 100% hamstring to stop runners from running through your hole. Standing your ground doesn't require the hamstring.

  • Homotron said:

    My point is they take a while to heal. You act like the offseason is 5 months away. It's right around the corner.

    If Training Camp starts in early August it may only be about 10 weeks away. Hopefully that is enough time to heal. Hillis had nothing like that kind of time before he was pressured to get back in there and start contributing.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @the-gipper said:

    If Training Camp starts in early August it may only be about 10 weeks away. Hopefully that is enough time to heal. Hillis had nothing like that kind of time before he was pressured to get back in there and start contributing.

    If Hughes has anything in his favor it's that he isn't going to be pressured to contribute. Woodley came back early and re-injured his, he wasn't right all season as a direct result.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If Training Camp starts in early August it may only be about 10 weeks away. Hopefully that is enough time to heal. Hillis had nothing like that kind of time before he was pressured to get back in there and start contributing.

    If Hughes has anything in his favor it's that he isn't going to be pressured to contribute. Woodley came back early and re-injured his, he wasn't right all season as a direct result.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Homotron said:

    If Hughes has anything in his favor it's that he isn't going to be pressured to contribute. Woodley came back early and re-injured his, he wasn't right all season as a direct result.

    On the contrary. Now that Phil Taylor seems to be out for the year, The Sausage King may indeed by under a deal of pressure to contribute at the DT spot opposite Rubin. There may be others that might also be candidates to fill in, but I think Hughes may be the Prime Suspect. Who might be the other candidates? Winn? Schaefering?.

  • Homotron said:

    If Hughes has anything in his favor it's that he isn't going to be pressured to contribute. Woodley came back early and re-injured his, he wasn't right all season as a direct result.

    On the contrary. Now that Phil Taylor seems to be out for the year, The Sausage King may indeed by under a deal of pressure to contribute at the DT spot opposite Rubin. There may be others that might also be candidates to fill in, but I think Hughes may be the Prime Suspect. Who might be the other candidates? Winn? Schaefering?.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @the-gipper said:

    On the contrary. Now that Phil Taylor seems to be out for the year, The Sausage King may indeed by under a deal of pressure to contribute at the DT spot opposite Rubin. There may be others that might also be candidates to fill in, but I think Hughes may be the Prime Suspect. Who might be the other candidates? Winn? Schaefering?.

    I loved Winn coming out and thought he was a huge steal. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them bring someone in via FA rather than attempt to throw a rookie in on a starting basis. You'll see Richardson and Weeden obviously but I'd anticipate the others drafted will be special teams gunnars/blockers until they earn their keep. Paxton possibly? No matter what the situation sucks pretty large for you boys in Brown and orange. I would have loved to get a shot at Taylor last draft but he obviously went well before we picked. Happy to have Ta'amu in the fold now though so it worked out. You'll see a camp battle for that other spot, don't be shocked if Winn earns it.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I was impressed with the play of Nick Eason last year....I wouldn't rule him out.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @mike-h said:

    The Browns tendered Brian Schaefering this offseason for a couple years. I'd bet he is the week 1 starter barring a huge camp from Winn or a miraculous recovery from Taylor.

    Needless to say, Schaefering, Winn, Hughes will probably all be in some rotation...and possibly that FA acquisition that Homotron mentioned. (I agree that it is a possibility that someone else may be picked up).

    Needless to say I think Taylor will probably be put in the IR.

  • @mike-h said:

    The Browns tendered Brian Schaefering this offseason for a couple years. I'd bet he is the week 1 starter barring a huge camp from Winn or a miraculous recovery from Taylor.

    Needless to say, Schaefering, Winn, Hughes will probably all be in some rotation...and possibly that FA acquisition that Homotron mentioned. (I agree that it is a possibility that someone else may be picked up).

    Needless to say I think Taylor will probably be put in the IR.

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @the-gipper said:

    Needless to say, Schaefering, Winn, Hughes will probably all be in some rotation...and possibly that FA acquisition that Homotron mentioned. (I agree that it is a possibility that someone else may be picked up).

    Needless to say I think Taylor will probably be put in the IR.

    PUP first then IR I would imagine. Since he tore it so early there is still the chance he could be ready with 4 weeks or so left in the season so we will have to wait and see.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #38

    at which time we're vying for the #1 pick. so just put him on IR.

  • at which time we're vying for the #1 pick. so just put him on IR.

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @choco said:

    at which time we're vying for the #1 pick. so just put him on IR.

    No point to NOT put him on the PUP first and then the IR if things don't pan out.

  • I was impressed with the play of Nick Eason last year....I wouldn't rule him out.

    ITHIKAI ITHIKA wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @ballpeen said:

    I was impressed with the play of Nick Eason last year....I wouldn't rule him out.

    Eason plays for the Cardinals now.