Skip to content

Mike Wallace

The Browns Board
84 29 4.5k
  • Wait I read sometime last year mike Wallace died

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yea, sure, you are going to repeat 1974 and have 4 Hall of Famers come out of this draft....just like the Browns drafted Hall of Famers like Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, William Green, Brady Quinn, Kameron Wimbley, Braylon Edwards.

    Maybe in fact you just repeated all the Browns picks of this sort.

    maybe.

    but not likely considering our recent history and the talent of our GM to field an excellent team.

    do you really think it's just one big coincidence that the Steelers are an elite franchise, and that after being excellent at their jobs for the past decade or more that our FO is going to suddenly forget how to do their jobs?

    do you really think that Khan would let our salary cap get unmanageable when he's spent over a decade playing the financial dance as well as anyone in the league?

    @gafreleets said:

    maybe.

    but not likely considering our recent history and the talent of our GM to field an excellent team.

    do you really think it's just one big coincidence that the Steelers are an elite franchise, and that after being excellent at their jobs for the past decade or more that our FO is going to suddenly forget how to do their jobs?

    No, I don't. That was my point in another thread. The key to the Steelers success has been their front office aptitude.

    Nevertheless...I am not also going to say that just because they have been that capable that everyone they take in the draft is going to become a superstart, like HOMO seems to think.

    do you really think that Khan would let our salary cap get unmanageable when he's spent over a decade playing the financial dance as well as anyone in the league?

    Perhaps not, but maybe the Browns now have our Captain Kirk who can defeat your Khan at that same dance.

  • I never said they were going to be all super stars but this is the most excited I've been about a draft class since I've been alive. DeCastro is plug and play. Adams doesn't even HAVE to start because I do believe they're still going to bring Starks back in to the fold. No matter what he was a first round talent that fell to the second round. You then add in Spence who is probably the most instinctual lb in the entire draft but fell because of his size and follow it up with Rainey in the 5th who has "Darren Sproles Type back" written all over him. He's also basically the half brother to the Pouncey Brothers having lived with them for several years in high school and then college. I still can't believe we landed DeCastro.

  • I never said they were going to be all super stars but this is the most excited I've been about a draft class since I've been alive. DeCastro is plug and play. Adams doesn't even HAVE to start because I do believe they're still going to bring Starks back in to the fold. No matter what he was a first round talent that fell to the second round. You then add in Spence who is probably the most instinctual lb in the entire draft but fell because of his size and follow it up with Rainey in the 5th who has "Darren Sproles Type back" written all over him. He's also basically the half brother to the Pouncey Brothers having lived with them for several years in high school and then college. I still can't believe we landed DeCastro.

    Homotron said:

    I never said they were going to be all super stars but this is the most exciting I've been about a draft class since I've been alive. DeCastro is plug and play. Adams doesn't even HAVE to start because I do believe they're still going to bring Starks back in to the fold. No matter what he was a first round talent that fell to the second round. You then add in Spence who is probably the most instinctual lb in the entire draft but fell because of his size and follow it up with Rainey in the 5th who has "Darren Sproles Type back" written all over him. He's also basically the half brother to the Pouncey Brothers having lived with them for several years in high school and then college. I still can't believe we landed DeCastro.

    I may have forgotten that the Steelers got Rainey. I agree however with your assessment. Had the Browns retained Hillis to be their "big back", and not gone after TR, Rainey was one of the guys I thought the Browns should think hard about taking as their "scatback", their Darren Sproles type back, as you say. The other was LaMichael James...but I guess we have had our fill of LaWhatever James's around here.

    On the DeCastro pick, however, I don't know why you would be so surprised. After all, he is an OG. Despite whatever quality grade he may have had, OG's don't go high. At most I would have thought he would have gone a few picks higher than the 24 he was taken at. I mean, an OG has not been taken in the top 10 of the NFL draft since 1988. In recent years the very top OGs have gone 15-16-17 at the highest.

    That being said, if you are going to find a potential HOF type talent at OG, it will probably be in the 1st round of the draft.

    The following are the OGs that have been taken in the first round of the draft since 1966 that are now HOFers:

    Tom Mack

    Gene Upshaw

    Joe DeLamelleure

    John Hannah

    Mike Munchak

    Bruce Matthews

    Randle McDaniel

    The only HOFer OGs who were not first round picks are Larry Little and Russ Grimm. A couple of other first round OGs that might make the HOF are Alan Faneca and Steve Hutchinson.

    So, if you were going to get a real catch at OG, it would probably be in the first round.

    That said, OGs seem to have become like RBs in the last decade: undervalued perhaps because of the change in the game.

    And for all we also know, it may be Kevin Zeitler, OG out of Wisconsin taken at 27 by the Bengals that may be the real find at OG and not DeCastro. For all you know you have another Tom Ricketts on your hand. An OG drafted by the Steelers with the 24th pick in 1989. Played only 2-3 years before being kicked to the corner by the Steelers.