If You Could Re-Align Divisions...
-
Edit- my mistake. I sometimes forget New York is actually a three team state.
-
Edit- my mistake. I sometimes forget New York is actually a three team state.
Edit- my mistake. I sometimes forget New York is actually a three team state.
It is, if you discount the fact that those team actually play in New Jersey. Here are the multiteam states:
New York: Jets AFC/Bills AFC/Giants NFC
Penn.: Eagles NFC/Steelers AFC
Florida: Jags AFC/Dolphins AFC/Bucs NFC
Ohio: Browns AFC/Bengals AFC
Missouri: Chiefs AFC/Rams NFC
Texas: Texans AFC/Cowboys NFC
California: 49ers NFC/Raiders AFC/Chargers AFC
Maryland (if you count DC as part of it): Ravens AFC/Redskins NFC
Some state split their teams between conferences, some don't.
I tried to come up with a completely perfect geographical division setup. It can't be done,not with a 4 team divion setup. There is always an oddball out.
E.G.: Take the three Florida teams. They are a natural together. But who do you put in with them? Atlanta? Wouldn't ATL be better off with Carolina and Tenn.?
In the Northeast: Pats/Jets/Giants are a natural....but who with? Philly? Philly fits equally well with Balt./DC, even Pitt.
If you put the Cowboys and Texans together, who do you put with them? Denver? Arizona? New Orleans?
Like I said, it seems to be an impossible task. I have tried.
-
What would they be? Doing all of them would be too much work for me right now so I'll just do a division for the browns that would make sense to me, a great lakes division:
Buffalo
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago
Or second choice:
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago
Green Bay
I've always lamented that Cleveland has little to no rivalry with Detroit. They're almost as close as Pittsburgh, and both Detroit and Buffalo are geographically closer than either Baltimore or Cincinatti.
When the NFL re-aligned, my prediction/desire was delivered (including the Seahawks move to the NFC), except for one thing. I was hoping for the Colts to be in our division with Pittsburgh and Cincy. That would have been, and would still be, a great division. It would have also put all the misfits (Baltimore, Tenn, Houston, and Jacksonville) together.
Even though Indy was the class of the NFL and a tough foe, consider what a great division we'd have. All four teams would be within a 4 hour drive of each other. Plus it would have been a great sucker punch to Baltimore.
All the rest of the NFL is terrific exactly the way it is.
When the NFL re-aligned, my prediction/desire was delivered (including the Seahawks move to the NFC), except for one thing. I was hoping for the Colts to be in our division with Pittsburgh and Cincy. That would have been, and would still be, a great division. It would have also put all the misfits (Baltimore, Tenn, Houston, and Jacksonville) together.
Even though Indy was the class of the NFL and a tough foe, consider what a great division we'd have. All four teams would be within a 4 hour drive of each other. Plus it would have been a great sucker punch to Baltimore.
All the rest of the NFL is terrific exactly the way it is.
I agree, Baltimore belonged in the misfit division and I would prefer to have Indy or Buffalo in our division.
But Pittsburgh to Indy in 4 hours? I don't think so, not even with Big Ben doing 90 mph all the way on his rice burner.
Zombo
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login