Skip to content

Congrats On Win

The Browns Board
25 14 1.4k
  • @hoorta said:

    Remember Shurms running Ricahrdson on into the line 3 times with 3 minutes left in the game, making the Steelers use all their timeouts? Burning maybe 20 seconds off the clock, and then punting with over 2 minutes left? Wow- down one score with 2+ minutes left? That's ALL DAY in the NFL my friend. I had visions of Batch putting together a game winning drive, the same way Romo tied up the game last week.

    I was chastised elsewhere when I voiced the same thing you did. In fact, the guy said that what Shurmur did was just SMART football! How is it smart to PURPOSELY give the ball back with 2+ minutes remaining when a TD & XP BEAT you? He had NO intention of trying to get a first down & THEN killing the clock. With that kind of thinking, we'll NEVER be winners. We won in spite of Shurmur thanks to all the aggressive & talented young athletes on this Team. Given them some REAL direction next year, along with a few additions, & we'll be fine.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I was chastised elsewhere when I voiced the same thing you did. In fact, the guy said that what Shurmur did was just SMART football! How is it smart to PURPOSELY give the ball back with 2+ minutes remaining when a TD & XP BEAT you? He had NO intention of trying to get a first down & THEN killing the clock. With that kind of thinking, we'll NEVER be winners. We won in spite of Shurmur thanks to all the aggressive & talented young athletes on this Team. Given them some REAL direction next year, along with a few additions, & we'll be fine.

    Mike

    This is what (I hope) Haslam sees. Shuurmur is an utter failure, class A dufus when it comes to gameday down and distance, and clock management. Gets a solid "F" from me in those departments. "I'm up a score, so I'll let my defense win the game for me". Didn't work for Marty against the Broncos, and if Shurm's move against the Steelers had backfired, we'd never have heard the end of it from Pittsburgh fans. BTW, I haven't forgotten the punt in the Indy game either. πŸ™‚

    Really Pat- you gave the Steelers the ball with 2+ minutes left, and the free timeout @ the 2 minute warning. Hello- Earth to Pat- it's an entirely different situation if you're far on the OTHER side of two minutes, where it is smart to make the other team burn timeouts, and try and score a TD with 30 seconds left. But that still can and does happen occasionally.

    Why not try and go up TWO scores? It becomes exponentially more difficult for the other team to win. Even in a "worst case scenario" an int- did you really lose that much? Tell Weeds if no one is open, throw it in the seats. Could you maybe have let Weeds audible out of a hopeless running play that had the Steelers playing all hands on deck in the box? Edit- not only that, just trying to get into "Mr Automatic's" Dawson's FG range puts it out of reach. πŸ˜•

    Classic "playing not to lose, no risk taking" coaching by Patsy.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I was chastised elsewhere when I voiced the same thing you did. In fact, the guy said that what Shurmur did was just SMART football! How is it smart to PURPOSELY give the ball back with 2+ minutes remaining when a TD & XP BEAT you? He had NO intention of trying to get a first down & THEN killing the clock. With that kind of thinking, we'll NEVER be winners. We won in spite of Shurmur thanks to all the aggressive & talented young athletes on this Team. Given them some REAL direction next year, along with a few additions, & we'll be fine.

    Mike

    This is what (I hope) Haslam sees. Shuurmur is an utter failure, class A dufus when it comes to gameday down and distance, and clock management. Gets a solid "F" from me in those departments. "I'm up a score, so I'll let my defense win the game for me". Didn't work for Marty against the Broncos, and if Shurm's move against the Steelers had backfired, we'd never have heard the end of it from Pittsburgh fans. BTW, I haven't forgotten the punt in the Indy game either. πŸ™‚

    Really Pat- you gave the Steelers the ball with 2+ minutes left, and the free timeout @ the 2 minute warning. Hello- Earth to Pat- it's an entirely different situation if you're far on the OTHER side of two minutes, where it is smart to make the other team burn timeouts, and try and score a TD with 30 seconds left. But that still can and does happen occasionally.

    Why not try and go up TWO scores? It becomes exponentially more difficult for the other team to win. Even in a "worst case scenario" an int- did you really lose that much? Tell Weeds if no one is open, throw it in the seats. Could you maybe have let Weeds audible out of a hopeless running play that had the Steelers playing all hands on deck in the box? Edit- not only that, just trying to get into "Mr Automatic's" Dawson's FG range puts it out of reach. πŸ˜•

    Classic "playing not to lose, no risk taking" coaching by Patsy.

    @hoorta said:

    This is what (I hope) Haslam sees. Shuurmur is an utter failure, class A dufus when it comes to gameday down and distance, and clock management. Gets a solid "F" from me in those departments. "I'm up a score, so I'll let my defense win the game for me". Didn't work for Marty against the Broncos, and if Shurm's move against the Steelers had backfired, we'd never have heard the end of it from Pittsburgh fans. BTW, I haven't forgotten the punt in the Indy game either. πŸ™‚

    Really Pat- you gave the Steelers the ball with 2+ minutes left, and the free timeout @ the 2 minute warning. Hello- Earth to Pat- it's an entirely different situation if you're far on the OTHER side of two minutes, where it is smart to make the other team burn timeouts, and try and score a TD with 30 seconds left. But that still can and does happen occasionally.

    Why not try and go up TWO scores? It becomes exponentially more difficult for the other team to win. Even in a "worst case scenario" an int- did you really lose that much? Tell Weeds if no one is open, throw it in the seats. Could you maybe have let Weeds audible out of a hopeless running play that had the Steelers playing all hands on deck in the box? Edit- not only that, just trying to get into "Mr Automatic's" Dawson's FG range puts it out of reach. πŸ˜•

    Classic "playing not to lose, no risk taking" coaching by Patsy.

    Shurmur no longer works for a guy who is a family friend or an owner who is not a football fan. I just wish I could have seen Haslam's reaction when he called those 3 plays & punted back to the Steelers. I'm no gambler, but I'll bet that may have been the final nail in Shurmur's coffin.

    Mike

  • @hoorta said:

    This is what (I hope) Haslam sees. Shuurmur is an utter failure, class A dufus when it comes to gameday down and distance, and clock management. Gets a solid "F" from me in those departments. "I'm up a score, so I'll let my defense win the game for me". Didn't work for Marty against the Broncos, and if Shurm's move against the Steelers had backfired, we'd never have heard the end of it from Pittsburgh fans. BTW, I haven't forgotten the punt in the Indy game either. πŸ™‚

    Really Pat- you gave the Steelers the ball with 2+ minutes left, and the free timeout @ the 2 minute warning. Hello- Earth to Pat- it's an entirely different situation if you're far on the OTHER side of two minutes, where it is smart to make the other team burn timeouts, and try and score a TD with 30 seconds left. But that still can and does happen occasionally.

    Why not try and go up TWO scores? It becomes exponentially more difficult for the other team to win. Even in a "worst case scenario" an int- did you really lose that much? Tell Weeds if no one is open, throw it in the seats. Could you maybe have let Weeds audible out of a hopeless running play that had the Steelers playing all hands on deck in the box? Edit- not only that, just trying to get into "Mr Automatic's" Dawson's FG range puts it out of reach. πŸ˜•

    Classic "playing not to lose, no risk taking" coaching by Patsy.

    Shurmur no longer works for a guy who is a family friend or an owner who is not a football fan. I just wish I could have seen Haslam's reaction when he called those 3 plays & punted back to the Steelers. I'm no gambler, but I'll bet that may have been the final nail in Shurmur's coffin.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Shurmur no longer works for a guy who is a family friend or an owner who is not a football fan. I just wish I could have seen Haslam's reaction when he called those 3 plays & punted back to the Steelers. I'm no gambler, but I'll bet that may have been the final nail in Shurmur's coffin.

    Mike

    I can make a case for Mr. Haslam bringing Shurmur back next year. It all depends on the pulse of the locker room, and I'm sure he has a handle on that. If Shurmur has the players, it is 50-50 that he's back next season.

    Haslam is not a fool. If he thinks that Shurmur is about to cross the hump of the learning curve and the players support him, then keeping Shurmur is the right move. I think Haslam will have enough data and input to make the right decision. I'm looking forward to that.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Shurmur no longer works for a guy who is a family friend or an owner who is not a football fan. I just wish I could have seen Haslam's reaction when he called those 3 plays & punted back to the Steelers. I'm no gambler, but I'll bet that may have been the final nail in Shurmur's coffin.

    Mike

    I can make a case for Mr. Haslam bringing Shurmur back next year. It all depends on the pulse of the locker room, and I'm sure he has a handle on that. If Shurmur has the players, it is 50-50 that he's back next season.

    Haslam is not a fool. If he thinks that Shurmur is about to cross the hump of the learning curve and the players support him, then keeping Shurmur is the right move. I think Haslam will have enough data and input to make the right decision. I'm looking forward to that.

    @roach said:

    I can make a case for Mr. Haslam bringing Shurmur back next year. It all depends on the pulse of the locker room, and I'm sure he has a handle on that. If Shurmur has the players, it is 50-50 that he's back next season.

    Haslam is not a fool. If he thinks that Shurmur is about to cross the hump of the learning curve and the players support him, then keeping Shurmur is the right move. I think Haslam will have enough data and input to make the right decision. I'm looking forward to that.

    Ed, only problem is- with Shurmur there has been no learning curve. Per my Rams contact he was making terrible decisions as an OC three seasons ago. IMHO, he's still making terrible decisions.

    Let me slide it on over to the West Coast for you. How many mulligans does Norv Turner get?

    This is even worse that Martyball. At least Schottenheimer was willing to take a chance once in awhile.

    Just my .02. but I think Haslam's already seen enough, just not going back on his word.

  • @browns149 said:

    Tell that to Homotron, Anytime the stoolers do ANYTHING wrong, he has an excuse

    He's just being gracious because the Browns were bad today. Really bad. One of those fumbles was the result of a solid hit. TJ Ward on Rainey. The others are all on the running backs for being idiots and the int's are on Batch for having a 50 year old arm. If you don't like the facts it's not my problem. It's yours.

    @vagitron said:

    He's just being gracious because the Browns were bad today. Really bad. One of those fumbles was the result of a solid hit. TJ Ward on Rainey. The others are all on the running backs for being idiots and the int's are on Batch for having a 50 year old arm. If you don't like the facts it's not my problem. It's yours.

    Keep them excuses coming, its entertaining at least. Not sure which is better, beating the steelers, or watching the butt-hurt fans clamber for excuses .