Skip to content

Can't Wait For A Real Headcoach

The Browns Board
26 13 1.1k
  • I don't think it is a reach to bring any of the big name college coaches here, or a Payton. We all know coaches have egos (at least the ones that want to succeed) So imagine Kelly or Payton coming here and forever being known as the coach that turned the franchise around and into a perennial winner. Of course I like to look at the glass half full. But still don't think it is a reach. Haslam seems to be invested into turning this team around. I don't believe he will settle for "a coach" but wants "the Coach" that can make his investment pay dividends down the road.

    @blitzz2 said:

    I don't think it is a reach to bring any of the big name college coaches here, or a Payton. We all know coaches have egos (at least the ones that want to succeed) So imagine Kelly or Payton coming here and forever being known as the coach that turned the franchise around and into a perennial winner. Of course I like to look at the glass half full. But still don't think it is a reach. Haslam seems to be invested into turning this team around. I don't believe he will settle for "a coach" but wants "the Coach" that can make his investment pay dividends down the road.

    I understand what your saying and yes you make a good point. I do agree that Haslam will do whatever it takes to bring in the right guy. He's passionate about the Browns and wants to be a winner...just like us long suffering fans! Of course this is all speculation...Shurms isn't gone yet?

  • @blitzz2 said:

    I don't think it is a reach to bring any of the big name college coaches here, or a Payton. We all know coaches have egos (at least the ones that want to succeed) So imagine Kelly or Payton coming here and forever being known as the coach that turned the franchise around and into a perennial winner. Of course I like to look at the glass half full. But still don't think it is a reach. Haslam seems to be invested into turning this team around. I don't believe he will settle for "a coach" but wants "the Coach" that can make his investment pay dividends down the road.

    I understand what your saying and yes you make a good point. I do agree that Haslam will do whatever it takes to bring in the right guy. He's passionate about the Browns and wants to be a winner...just like us long suffering fans! Of course this is all speculation...Shurms isn't gone yet?

    @slamfire44 said:

    I understand what your saying and yes you make a good point. I do agree that Haslam will do whatever it takes to bring in the right guy. He's passionate about the Browns and wants to be a winner...just like us long suffering fans! Of course this is all speculation...Shurms isn't gone yet?

    Shurms should have been gone the day Haslem got full authority

  • @slamfire44 said:

    I understand what your saying and yes you make a good point. I do agree that Haslam will do whatever it takes to bring in the right guy. He's passionate about the Browns and wants to be a winner...just like us long suffering fans! Of course this is all speculation...Shurms isn't gone yet?

    Shurms should have been gone the day Haslem got full authority

    @browns149 said:

    Shurms should have been gone the day Haslem got full authority

    Yeah your right, I was somewhat surprised he didn't pull the plug before the bye week.

  • @browns149 said:

    Shurms should have been gone the day Haslem got full authority

    Yeah your right, I was somewhat surprised he didn't pull the plug before the bye week.

    @slamfire44 said:

    Yeah your right, I was somewhat surprised he didn't pull the plug before the bye week.

    He should not have said, "He would wait till the end of the season"

    You can't put timelines on decisions. When you see a time for a change, you can't let time dictact decisions. We could have had ALL potential head coaches at our beck and call, but now that we will wait until the off season, we are n the mix with 6 or 7 other teams for a headcoach.

  • @soju said:

    gotta get rid of the two tight end formations. Bring in a spread offense that removes extra opposing secondary/LBers in the box that stuffs TRich on nearly every play. How can I see this as Joe Shmo in my f'ing living room while Shurmur continues to destroy this team?

    Because Shurmer is an idiot. He won't adjust his stupid westcoast offense for the player we have. That's what GOOD coaches do. They run whats best for the talent they have.

    @browns149 said:

    Because Shurmer is an idiot. He won't adjust his stupid westcoast offense for the player we have. That's what GOOD coaches do. They run whats best for the talent they have.

    I agree with this 100%, I think Shurmur is so stubborn or just too dumb to realize this. Also he doesn't or at least strongly discourages the QB from audibling from the play called. If I were to pick a college coach I think I would pick Shaw from Stanford, I am not sold on Kelly.

  • @slamfire44 said:

    Yeah your right, I was somewhat surprised he didn't pull the plug before the bye week.

    He should not have said, "He would wait till the end of the season"

    You can't put timelines on decisions. When you see a time for a change, you can't let time dictact decisions. We could have had ALL potential head coaches at our beck and call, but now that we will wait until the off season, we are n the mix with 6 or 7 other teams for a headcoach.

    @browns149 said:

    He should not have said, "He would wait till the end of the season"

    You can't put timelines on decisions. When you see a time for a change, you can't let time dictact decisions. We could have had ALL potential head coaches at our beck and call, but now that we will wait until the off season, we are n the mix with 6 or 7 other teams for a headcoach.

    I basically agree with the decision to keep Shurmur til the end of the year. An "interim" coach has only worked out once in history: when Marty Schottenheimer took over for Sam Rutigliano. Let Shurmur simmer in his own stew.

    The other thing is that any decent coach will probably be tied up til the end of the season.

    That would include any coordinators they are interested in...any college coaches they are interested in....and any broadcasters they may be interested in (example: Gruden, who I think is still in the picture).

    The rumors about Gruden coming to Tennessee to coach and being given 10% of the Browns were just a garbled rumor. The reality is that he may have been contacted about the Browns job, not the UT job.