The Chips And Sabans Are Little Cocked Pansies Of The Football World
-
Endymion said:
Also, there's Brian Billick. Personally, I think he's more motivated than either Cowher or Gruden and Billick knows the AFC North. He was supposed to be an Offensive genius yet you could say he failed in that department spectacularly and that really is his motivation. All these years on the sidelines, he wants to prove he is great and that Baltimore's great defense was not only his doing, but he has a great offense left in him (kind of like a modern day Dick Vermiel). Billick will come alot cheaper btw and won't get the other 31 owners PO'ed at Haslam for breaking the coaching salaries wide open.
Billick has said numerous times that his coaching days are over. I just heard him today say that teams are looking for young and cheap and he's neither of those things.
Gruden is the only former coach, working in TV, that I think would make the switch to go back to the sidelines and that's only because he's still fairly young. Billick, Cowher, Mariucci...those guys aren't that young anymore and have to be enjoying a pretty good life these days. I heard Billick say before in an interview..he is still in an NFL stadium on Sunday, the difference is that he doesn't win or lose and he also gets to go home and spend the next 4 days after the game at home with his familiy before going back to work. Pretty good gig and I would think awfully hard to pass up for the 18 hour days of an NFL head coach.
Billick has said numerous times that his coaching days are over. I just heard him today say that teams are looking for young and cheap and he's neither of those things.
Billick must say multiple things then. He was on Pittsburgh radio during the 2012 season discussing how he would like to coach again one day.
-
Endymion said:
If the Browns want to land a big name coach they are going to have to overpay, i.e. out-do the Jerry Jones and Synder's of the NFL. A big name coach doesn't garuantee victory...as I can reference the last time either Dallas or Washington won a play-off game. I won't get all hung up over Chip Kelly and Nick Saban, just hope your owner picks the right guy for your team, and the right guy might not win immediately. Sometimes you got to be patient and put the pieces in place, aka the Houston Texans (though that's not something most Brown's fans want to hear).
I think any team would have to 'overpay' for a "big name coach".
Do you really think Gruden say or some such guy would take LESS money to be in New York or Chicago than he would in Cleveland?
Hardly.
I think any team would have to 'overpay' for a "big name coach".
Do you really think Gruden say or some such guy would take LESS money to be in New York or Chicago than he would in Cleveland?
Hardly.
I don't think New York or Chicago are willing to set the bar for a big name coach at this time. Dallas and Washington tend to be the teams that set the top coaching salaries. If Cleveland wants the top coach names they need to set/break the bar and become the first team to make a $10M/yr coach. You'll have your pick of who you want. Other teams will follow suit eventually. Many owners will be PO'ed that the bar was raised so high.
-
I think any team would have to 'overpay' for a "big name coach".
Do you really think Gruden say or some such guy would take LESS money to be in New York or Chicago than he would in Cleveland?
Hardly.
I don't think New York or Chicago are willing to set the bar for a big name coach at this time. Dallas and Washington tend to be the teams that set the top coaching salaries. If Cleveland wants the top coach names they need to set/break the bar and become the first team to make a $10M/yr coach. You'll have your pick of who you want. Other teams will follow suit eventually. Many owners will be PO'ed that the bar was raised so high.
Endymion said:
I don't think New York or Chicago are willing to set the bar for a big name coach at this time. Dallas and Washington tend to be the teams that set the top coaching salaries. If Cleveland wants the top coach names they need to set/break the bar and become the first team to make a $10M/yr coach. You'll have your pick of who you want. Other teams will follow suit eventually. Many owners will be PO'ed that the bar was raised so high.
Well, its like baseball free agency. You might get some owner to pay a ridiculous price to get a particular FA even though that price if far, far above what should be the market value.
All I am saying is that a Cowher or Gruden or Saban or whomever I do not believe says to themselves: "Hmm, I will take only 4 million to coach in NY or Dallas or Charlotte...BUT if I am asked to coach in Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Kansas City, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati I won't go for less than 10 million". Balderdash.
But I think you are right to this point: An owner's ego may dictate to him how much he is willing to pay. A Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Bud Adams etc., guys with big ego may tend to overpay....because of the ego, not their locale.
Honestly, we don't know if JH is one of those guys or not. To this point he seems a bit more grounded.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login