Skip to content

Browns Fire Senior National Scout

The Browns Board
28 15 1.7k
  • http://news-herald.com/articles/2013/04/29/sports/nh6863984.txt?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    By Jeff Schudel
    [email protected]
    @jsbrownsinsider

    Senior National Scout Pat Roberts, a key part of the Browns personnel department for eight seasons, has been fired, a league source confirmed Monday night.

    Bruce Hooley of ESPN Cleveland reported the decision earlier in the day.

    Roberts was hired by former general manager Phil Savage in 2005. He survived the takeover by Eric Mangini in 2009, and former GM Tom Heckert kept Roberts when he took over in 2010. But the current leadership of CEO Joe Banner and General Manager Mike Lombardi decided to make a change.

    Roberts was a national scout for the last three seasons. He was the Director of College Scouting in 2009 and was a national scout from 2005-08.

    Other members of the scouting department and player personnel department could experience similar fates in the coming days. It is normal for a new general manager and in the Browns' case, a new CEO, to hire scouts they are familiar with.

    Jon Sandusky, the Browns' director of player personnel, and John Spytek, the director of college scouting, were hired by Heckert in 2010.

    Most of the Browns' scouting staff, however, despite the constant change at the top, have been together at least four years. Area scout Don Beielschies has been with the Browns eight years. Area scout Zac Bocian, with the Browns 10 seasons, goes back to the Butch Davis days. Bob Welton just completed his ninth season with the Browns. Bobby Vega and Chisom Opara have each been with the Browns eight years as area scouts.

  • This was said to happen a few weeks back of the scouting dept. The new regime didnt hire their guys early on. Best of luck to him.

  • Wonder how much their lack of faith in the scouting department had to do with them trading out of the 4th and 5th rounds.

  • Wonder how much their lack of faith in the scouting department had to do with them trading out of the 4th and 5th rounds.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    Wonder how much their lack of faith in the scouting department had to do with them trading out of the 4th and 5th rounds.

    It was probably more that they'd rather just use those picks in a draft where they had their own guys in place.

  • I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

  • I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

    @gftchris said:

    I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

    You don't want a rival to hire the guy you plan to fire before the draft, because then they'll know you basic draft plans. These guys are always canned post-draft.

  • @gftchris said:

    I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

    You don't want a rival to hire the guy you plan to fire before the draft, because then they'll know you basic draft plans. These guys are always canned post-draft.

    Endymion said:

    You don't want a rival to hire the guy you plan to fire before the draft, because then they'll know you basic draft plans. These guys are always canned post-draft.

    Yeah, fair enough, hadn't thought of it that way. But does that mean we'd already hired Banner/Lombardi's guys in the meantime? Or were we just trusting guys we didn't like for this draft?

  • Endymion said:

    You don't want a rival to hire the guy you plan to fire before the draft, because then they'll know you basic draft plans. These guys are always canned post-draft.

    Yeah, fair enough, hadn't thought of it that way. But does that mean we'd already hired Banner/Lombardi's guys in the meantime? Or were we just trusting guys we didn't like for this draft?

    @gftchris said:

    Or were we just trusting guys we didn't like for this draft?

    Scouts usually don't make headlines, but you probably had a number of Banner/Lombardi's guys on the payroll. Pat Roberts was probably consulted in the war room, but they probably didn't rely on his information to make decisions.

  • This seems like good news... I mean look at our team the past 5-8 years, not exactly a major scouting success I'd say. Bring on some new talent that'll find us good talent...right?

  • This seems like good news... I mean look at our team the past 5-8 years, not exactly a major scouting success I'd say. Bring on some new talent that'll find us good talent...right?

    @thenew23 said:

    Bring on some new talent that'll find us good talent...right?

    Not necessarily. Scouts evaluate the talent and to a degree rank the talent. The GMs/coaches actually select the talent. He may have done a very good job evaluating talent. In the end, his personality may not have meshed with Banner/Lombardi.

  • I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

    @gftchris said:

    I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

    Because as is generally the case, the entire crew of a scouting department have contracts that extend through the teams draft.

    Now that the draft is concluded the current scouting staff can be let go without violating their employment agreements.

    The Top guy...the GM has no such contract, but the scouts do.

    So, yes, Lombardi will want his staff in here.....though is anyone here confident that he will do a better job of bringing in better scouts.

    And yes, it is not something I thought about, but their decision to trade those picks to defer them til next may indeed be motivated by Lombanner wanting "their guys" to be involved.

  • @gftchris said:

    I get it, you want to have your own guys in place, but why not do this immediately? Why wait until after the draft - the focal point of your college talent evaluation for the year?

    Because as is generally the case, the entire crew of a scouting department have contracts that extend through the teams draft.

    Now that the draft is concluded the current scouting staff can be let go without violating their employment agreements.

    The Top guy...the GM has no such contract, but the scouts do.

    So, yes, Lombardi will want his staff in here.....though is anyone here confident that he will do a better job of bringing in better scouts.

    And yes, it is not something I thought about, but their decision to trade those picks to defer them til next may indeed be motivated by Lombanner wanting "their guys" to be involved.

    @the-gipper said:

    Because as is generally the case, the entire crew of a scouting department have contracts that extend through the teams draft.

    Now that the draft is concluded the current scouting staff can be let go without violating their employment agreements.

    The Top guy...the GM has no such contract, but the scouts do.

    So, yes, Lombardi will want his staff in here.....though is anyone here confident that he will do a better job of bringing in better scouts.

    And yes, it is not something I thought about, but their decision to trade those picks to defer them til next may indeed be motivated by Lombanner wanting "their guys" to be involved.

    The idea that this fucked up bastard can bring his own people on board scares the livin crap out of Me...

  • This guys was probably pissed that he did all this scouting work and the Browns FO pissed the bed.

    Probably had Jones, Mathieu and Rambo rated off the charts and the Browns Headquarters probably got a chair through the window... πŸ˜†

  • This guys was probably pissed that he did all this scouting work and the Browns FO pissed the bed.

    Probably had Jones, Mathieu and Rambo rated off the charts and the Browns Headquarters probably got a chair through the window... πŸ˜†

    @poeticg said:

    This guys was probably pissed that he did all this scouting work and the Browns FO pissed the bed.

    Probably had Jones, Mathieu and Rambo rated off the charts and the Browns Headquarters probably got a chair through the window... πŸ˜†

    Give it the fuck up already. If they all have break out seasons, by all means, go ahead and complain, but just shut the fuck up about them not picking the guys that you wanted.

  • @poeticg said:

    This guys was probably pissed that he did all this scouting work and the Browns FO pissed the bed.

    Probably had Jones, Mathieu and Rambo rated off the charts and the Browns Headquarters probably got a chair through the window... πŸ˜†

    Give it the fuck up already. If they all have break out seasons, by all means, go ahead and complain, but just shut the fuck up about them not picking the guys that you wanted.

    @vaportrail said:

    Give it the fuck up already. If they all have break out seasons, by all means, go ahead and complain, but just shut the fuck up about them not picking the guys that you wanted.

    Agreed! The draft is over, we got who we got, the scout is gone, & what is to be done will be done. It's part of life...not all are happy, but we accept what we have & deal with it. End of story. Quitcherbitchin!

    Mike

  • This thread is about one of our scouts getting dumped. I've merely giving my 2 cents on what caused this. Quit telling me what to do. I do what the fuck I want to do, I say what the fuck I want to say. If you don't like it... I don't give 2 fucks. I'm stating my opinion, which whether you like it or not, is just as good as anybody elses. If you don't agree that's fine, I may not agree with you either but I'm not telling people to shut up. This is the internet, not your house Momma.

  • This thread is about one of our scouts getting dumped. I've merely giving my 2 cents on what caused this. Quit telling me what to do. I do what the fuck I want to do, I say what the fuck I want to say. If you don't like it... I don't give 2 fucks. I'm stating my opinion, which whether you like it or not, is just as good as anybody elses. If you don't agree that's fine, I may not agree with you either but I'm not telling people to shut up. This is the internet, not your house Momma.

    @poeticg said:

    This thread is about one of our scouts getting dumped. I've merely giving my 2 cents on what caused this. Quit telling me what to do. I do what the fuck I want to do, I say what the fuck I want to say. If you don't like it... I don't give 2 fucks. I'm stating my opinion, which whether you like it or not, is just as good as anybody elses. If you don't agree that's fine, I may not agree with you either but I'm not telling people to shut up. This is the internet, not your house Momma.

    yes but we have heard your rant in every other thread in the past couple days, I agree with vapor, we get it.

    frankly im glad you dont like the draft because that means the players we drafted will be studs, all the guys you have an obsession with seem to suck for some reason...

  • all of the browns scouts, even those here with lombardi on his first stint should be fired. and keep firing them. too many courtney browns, mike powells and steve everitts to make me puke.

    if you ain't good at your job, in my biz, we'll know it within a month, not years.

    fuck 'em all big and small.