Skip to content

Top 10 Greatest Browns Ever

The Browns Board
26 10 775
  • Quick trivia. How many Browns are in the HOF vs. how many Steelers

    @comeonman said:

    Quick trivia. How many Browns are in the HOF vs. how many Steelers

    The PFHOF essentially divides HOFers into 3 statuses: Players, coaches/admin/owners, and "cup of coffee" guys.

    The Steelers have more in both players and coaches/owners and the same in "cup of coffee guys"

    Browns "Primary Players" total 15:

    Jim Brown

    Joe D.

    Ford

    Gatski

    Otto

    Groza

    Hickerson

    Kelley

    McCormack

    Mitchell

    Motley

    Ozzie

    Warfield

    Willis

    Paul Brown is the only coach/admin/owner in the HOF for the Browns

    Cuppa coffee guys:

    Doug Atkins, Willie Davis, Len Dawson, Henry Jordan, Tommy McDonald

    Steeler "Primary Players in HOF are 17:

    Blount

    Bradshaw

    Jack Butler

    D. Dawson

    Bill Dudley

    Greene

    Ham

    Franco

    John Henry Johnson

    Walt Keisling

    Lambert

    Bobby Layne

    Stallworth

    Stautner

    Swann

    Webster

    Ron Woodson

    Coaches/owners: Noll, Art Rooney, Dan Rooney

    Cuppa Coffee guys: Bert Bell, Len Dawson, Cal Hubbard, Johnny Blood McNally, Marion Motley

  • Figure this out: in the future one of the "Cleveland Browns" to be elected into the HOF will be Bill Belichick. Five years as Browns HC....4 of them losing seasons.

    I guess the question is: should we rightfully claim him?

    (my answer: only in the way we "claim" Len Dawson, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan etc.)

  • Another, perhaps better question: Who is the next Cleveland Brown that should be in the HOF? Lets put Belichick aside and just go for a "true" Cleveland Brown.

    Personally, I think that it should/could be Dick Shafrath. He actually had more Pro Bowls and other honors than did his running mate Gene Hickerson.

    I would hate to think of the fact that the next Cleveland Brown would be Joe Thomas. I think he has about 10 more years in him, plus the 5 year wait. That would suck to have to wait that long.

  • Another, perhaps better question: Who is the next Cleveland Brown that should be in the HOF? Lets put Belichick aside and just go for a "true" Cleveland Brown.

    Personally, I think that it should/could be Dick Shafrath. He actually had more Pro Bowls and other honors than did his running mate Gene Hickerson.

    I would hate to think of the fact that the next Cleveland Brown would be Joe Thomas. I think he has about 10 more years in him, plus the 5 year wait. That would suck to have to wait that long.

    @the-gipper said:

    Another, perhaps better question: Who is the next Cleveland Brown that should be in the HOF? Lets put Belichick aside and just go for a "true" Cleveland Brown.

    Personally, I think that it should/could be Dick Shafrath. He actually had more Pro Bowls and other honors than did his running mate Gene Hickerson.

    I would hate to think of the fact that the next Cleveland Brown would be Joe Thomas. I think he has about 10 more years in him, plus the 5 year wait. That would suck to have to wait that long.

    Claim Bill B.? No... he belongs to the Pats. Our claiming him would be worse than Putin stealing Kraft's SB ring. TBH not sure we should claim DeLamielleure since he was a Bill for 5 of his 6 Pro-Bowls and returned to Bills to retire as a Bill.

    I well remember Dick Schafrath... damn good OT. But the Browns' sweep featured the Guards, and Hickerson was the man.

    That said, I'd be happy for Schafrath should he be selected, but another inductee from 50 years ago would be bitter sweet at best.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Another, perhaps better question: Who is the next Cleveland Brown that should be in the HOF? Lets put Belichick aside and just go for a "true" Cleveland Brown.

    Personally, I think that it should/could be Dick Shafrath. He actually had more Pro Bowls and other honors than did his running mate Gene Hickerson.

    I would hate to think of the fact that the next Cleveland Brown would be Joe Thomas. I think he has about 10 more years in him, plus the 5 year wait. That would suck to have to wait that long.

    Claim Bill B.? No... he belongs to the Pats. Our claiming him would be worse than Putin stealing Kraft's SB ring. TBH not sure we should claim DeLamielleure since he was a Bill for 5 of his 6 Pro-Bowls and returned to Bills to retire as a Bill.

    I well remember Dick Schafrath... damn good OT. But the Browns' sweep featured the Guards, and Hickerson was the man.

    That said, I'd be happy for Schafrath should he be selected, but another inductee from 50 years ago would be bitter sweet at best.

    @tour2ma said:

    Claim Bill B.? No... he belongs to the Pats. Our claiming him would be worse than Putin stealing Kraft's SB ring. TBH not sure we should claim DeLamielleure since he was a Bill for 5 of his 6 Pro-Bowls and returned to Bills to retire as a Bill.

    I well remember Dick Schafrath... damn good OT. But the Browns' sweep featured the Guards, and Hickerson was the man.

    That said, I'd be happy for Schafrath should he be selected, but another inductee from 50 years ago would be bitter sweet at best.

    I have no problem if a Browns player of 50 years ago is inducted. I mean, this guy was a winner. Hell, they just inducted a Steelers DB from the 50s...Jack Butler....and that team did nothing but lose.

    The committee felt he was deserving, but hell, was he really better than a guy like Warren Lahr, his contemporary who played on Browns championship teams? We shall see.

  • Jack Butler played 9 years...1951-1959. Had 52 ints. for 827 return yds and 4 TDs. Four Pro Bowl selections

    His contemporaries on the Browns:

    Warren Lahr: 11 years, 1949-1959. 44 Ints 562 return yds and 5 TDs. One Pro Bowl

    Don Paul: 10 years 1950-1959. 34 ints, 598 return yds, 1 TD. 4 Pro Bowls.

    The Browns had an outstanding defensive backfield. The Steelers didn't....but they had one outstanding guy. So he got in. So be it.