Skip to content

Week 1 Game Impressions: Fins @ Browns

The Browns Board
173 37 7.8k
  • Negative: the offensive front, the receivers, and the secondary. Cousins played terrible, as did much of the rest of the o-line. The receivers made Weeden look much worse than he actually played, especially considering the lack of time he had. The secondary gave too much of a cushion, basically giving up 8 yd completions all day.

    Positive: Cameron looks like he is as good as advertised. Bess and Weeden are developing some chemistry. Desmond Bryant looks like he's going to be very good for us. The Front 7 shut down the running game, and provided decent pressure on the QB. Haden shut down Wallace, again.

    Neutral: Cundiff didn't miss any kicks. Richardson got as many yards as he could.

    @thenew23 said:

    Negative: the offensive front, the receivers, and the secondary. Cousins played terrible, as did much of the rest of the o-line. The receivers made Weeden look much worse than he actually played, especially considering the lack of time he had. The secondary gave too much of a cushion, basically giving up 8 yd completions all day.

    Positive: Cameron looks like he is as good as advertised. Bess and Weeden are developing some chemistry. Desmond Bryant looks like he's going to be very good for us. The Front 7 shut down the running game, and provided decent pressure on the QB. Haden shut down Wallace, again.

    Neutral: Cundiff didn't miss any kicks. Richardson got as many yards as he could.

    Agreed. We needed to blitz more in the second half to make up for our poor secondary play. Owens and Skrine were giving huge cushions to Hartline and Gibson all day.

  • 6 sacks 20 knockdowns & 30 hurries? Never gonna win like that,Cousins sucks but it wasn't all on him.

    Got to give credit to the Miami front 4 but damn....

    I said before that most people overestimated our O-Line and they were gonna struggle having to protect longer.

    Haden did a nice job on the one trick pony but him and Ward have to catch those int's.

    I think Po-G went to the game and made another sign did you see the 16-0 banner.

  • I think calling 53 pass plays out of 72 in total doesn't help developing a quarterback.

    End of first quarter we had 4.1 yards per carry. But then we stopped handing the ball over to Richardson.

  • Very, very frustrating, but not surprising. Our #3 RB sure looked like AP today..............Yea right. Any old undrafted FA RB would've had the same game as TR. Lots of holes? No, this is the NFL, there are never lots of holes, so don't come at me with that crap. I'm not putting the blame on TR, I'm just frustrated that all of our high draft picks are just everyday Joes. Weeden sucks...Period. Nothing our coaches can call when we lack talent all over the field, and especially at QB, WR & RB.

    Our defense did a nice job, but not great, and again, I'm not surprised. It wasn't like they were playing the GB Packers, it was the fookin' Dolphins with their own (and much better) 2nd year QB after all.

    Another opening day ruined for me, time to sign off and enjoy the rest of my day.

  • Not so sure, I think hopefully one positive we can take away from this is Weeden got the shit beat out of him. Now of course that's not really a good thing but you would hope that it will somehow be a learning experience from it and give him a little more courage in the pocket. On that last drive he seemed to be a little bit more ballsy than the Weeden were used to seeing, he didn't seem to panic as much and stuck it out as long as possible, hopefully it carries over.

  • It's so tough to be a successful QB in today's league if you can't move well. Either REALLY well (Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, Luck, Tannehill, Rodgers, etc.) or at least reasonably well (Flacco, Ben, etc.). Defenses are drafting/finding pass rushers for all over the field and if you can't turn a broken pocket into a gain... you better be brilliant at reading defenses pre-snap like a Manning or Brady.

    Weeden is neither and gets very uncomfortable with a dirty pocket. I'm sure I'll take shit for overreacting, but I don't think he's the guy nor will he ever be. I'd make the switch to Jason Campbell now because he makes sense next year mentoring Tajh. Weeden isn't a starter or a backup/mentor.

    Honestly, Tannehill is a lot better than Weeden, period. Both have the big arms but Tannehill's a way better athlete, a finalist for the Academic Heisman, and 25. It's not close in value. The upside is this regime would not have passed on Tannehill. Mayock's quote: "You don't overthink it. You take the QB at #4." He meant Tannehill and Banner/Lombardi have the same philosophy.

    We'll see but I feel about Weeden like I felt about DA: Big arm and... well, big arm.

  • I think calling 53 pass plays out of 72 in total doesn't help developing a quarterback.

    End of first quarter we had 4.1 yards per carry. But then we stopped handing the ball over to Richardson.

    @the-italian-dawgpound said:

    I think calling 53 pass plays out of 72 in total doesn't help developing a quarterback.

    End of first quarter we had 4.1 yards per carry. But then we stopped handing the ball over to Richardson.

    Got to Feed the Beast! Don't abandon the run...

  • As well as they played the run I'm not convinced at all. We did well today but if we were to give up 200 yards to the Ravens I can't say I'd be shocked.

  • Man Quarterbacks are like women, you know right away if you got the right one. If you're sitting around trying to make excuses and say well let's see maybe he is maybe he isn't you're just fooling yourself.

  • @the-italian-dawgpound said:

    I think calling 53 pass plays out of 72 in total doesn't help developing a quarterback.

    End of first quarter we had 4.1 yards per carry. But then we stopped handing the ball over to Richardson.

    Got to Feed the Beast! Don't abandon the run...

    @poeticg said:

    Got to Feed the Beast! Don't abandon the run...

    The beast............Funny. 47yds on 13 carries.........I guess we have two very different descriptions of "Beast".

  • Man Quarterbacks are like women, you know right away if you got the right one. If you're sitting around trying to make excuses and say well let's see maybe he is maybe he isn't you're just fooling yourself.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    Man Quarterbacks are like women, you know right away if you got the right one. If you're sitting around trying to make excuses and say well let's see maybe he is maybe he isn't you're just fooling yourself.

    Best analogy ever

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... You're right... It was the single greatest decision to throw a cinch interception in the history of the NFL...

    It wasn't a "cinch" interception, but let's even pretend that it was for a second. If Weeden holds onto the ball, he is sacked and the Browns are forced to punt. There is about a 0% chance that we pin the dolphins on their own 1 yard line. It's not my fault you can't do the math. It's no wonder you never predict any games correctly when you can't understand simple math...

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    It wasn't a "cinch" interception, but let's even pretend that it was for a second. If Weeden holds onto the ball, he is sacked and the Browns are forced to punt. There is about a 0% chance that we pin the dolphins on their own 1 yard line. It's not my fault you can't do the math. It's no wonder you never predict any games correctly when you can't understand simple math...

    High floater (like a punt) to the outside with the DB inside is not cinch???

    I got one right in the AFCN... unfortunately it was our game... and 7 so far in Pick 'em. Doesn't appear that I have the math problem here, Sparky...

    Why you, and others, insist on giving Wheezy credit for throwing an interception is beyond me. Have other plans for the Punter's roster spot? Plan to bring back the quick kick next week?

  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    Man Quarterbacks are like women, you know right away if you got the right one. If you're sitting around trying to make excuses and say well let's see maybe he is maybe he isn't you're just fooling yourself.

    Best analogy ever

    @d-bone said:

    Best analogy ever

    Yeah, well put.

  • @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    It wasn't a "cinch" interception, but let's even pretend that it was for a second. If Weeden holds onto the ball, he is sacked and the Browns are forced to punt. There is about a 0% chance that we pin the dolphins on their own 1 yard line. It's not my fault you can't do the math. It's no wonder you never predict any games correctly when you can't understand simple math...

    High floater (like a punt) to the outside with the DB inside is not cinch???

    I got one right in the AFCN... unfortunately it was our game... and 7 so far in Pick 'em. Doesn't appear that I have the math problem here, Sparky...

    Why you, and others, insist on giving Wheezy credit for throwing an interception is beyond me. Have other plans for the Punter's roster spot? Plan to bring back the quick kick next week?

    @tour2ma said:

    High floater (like a punt) to the outside with the DB inside is not cinch???

    I got one right in the AFCN... unfortunately it was our game... and 7 so far in Pick 'em. Doesn't appear that I have the math problem here, Sparky...

    Why you, and others, insist on giving Wheezy credit for throwing an interception is beyond me. Have other plans for the Punter's roster spot? Plan to bring back the quick kick next week?

    Weeden was hit as he threw the ball and if you watched the play at all you would have noticed that Benjamin was behind the defense. If he wasn't hit, the ball would have been thrown further. What should he have done differently on that play? Take the sack and punt the ball to the 20 yard line? It was the perfect time to try one deep. You still haven't said what should have been done differently because you know that you are wrong. And 1-3 sucks donkey balls.

  • Negative: the offensive front, the receivers, and the secondary. Cousins played terrible, as did much of the rest of the o-line. The receivers made Weeden look much worse than he actually played, especially considering the lack of time he had. The secondary gave too much of a cushion, basically giving up 8 yd completions all day.

    Positive: Cameron looks like he is as good as advertised. Bess and Weeden are developing some chemistry. Desmond Bryant looks like he's going to be very good for us. The Front 7 shut down the running game, and provided decent pressure on the QB. Haden shut down Wallace, again.

    Neutral: Cundiff didn't miss any kicks. Richardson got as many yards as he could.

    @thenew23 said:

    Negative: the offensive front, the receivers, and the secondary. Cousins played terrible, as did much of the rest of the o-line. The receivers made Weeden look much worse than he actually played, especially considering the lack of time he had. The secondary gave too much of a cushion, basically giving up 8 yd completions all day.

    Positive: Cameron looks like he is as good as advertised. Bess and Weeden are developing some chemistry. Desmond Bryant looks like he's going to be very good for us. The Front 7 shut down the running game, and provided decent pressure on the QB. Haden shut down Wallace, again.

    Neutral: Cundiff didn't miss any kicks. Richardson got as many yards as he could.

    I recorded the game for analysis, but I think the O-line issues were almost exclusively to the right of center, i.e. Cousins and Schwartz, and I have a feeling that a chunk of Schwartz's issues were Cousins related, but we shall see...

    At least one line call was blown, when Wake ended up sacking Wheezy on 3rd down and 2. I think we had 5 blocking 3 to the left, while Cam (who was not in the play) released from a slight split outside Schwartz leaving Ogbo to whiff on Wake. My preliminary impression was that this was on Wheezy.

    Not sure why we abandoned the run... especially to the outside; where we swept once in first drive effectively then nothing until one to the right in 2nd half. Our lack of depth at RB seemed a clear impedement... no "change up" guy. As the new guys pick up the playbook, this may improve rapidly. Ditto for the late WR and TE recruits...

    Wheezy to Bess did look like the beginnings of something. Ditto for Wheezy to Cam. Little made a great snag of a high, hard one in drive one. I love Benji on those curl routes... keep working those and the deep stuff will come. But the best chemistry on the field today was the Tannehill-Hartline tandem.

    Front 7 pretty much lived up to their billing, but pressure was not severe enough to protect our 2ndary. I'll be interested to see what our blitz percentage was. We did seem to play more soft zone than I expected.

    I think in general Special Teams were a plus. Also it seems we escaped without further injury... pending Bryant's situation.

  • @tour2ma said:

    High floater (like a punt) to the outside with the DB inside is not cinch???

    I got one right in the AFCN... unfortunately it was our game... and 7 so far in Pick 'em. Doesn't appear that I have the math problem here, Sparky...

    Why you, and others, insist on giving Wheezy credit for throwing an interception is beyond me. Have other plans for the Punter's roster spot? Plan to bring back the quick kick next week?

    Weeden was hit as he threw the ball and if you watched the play at all you would have noticed that Benjamin was behind the defense. If he wasn't hit, the ball would have been thrown further. What should he have done differently on that play? Take the sack and punt the ball to the 20 yard line? It was the perfect time to try one deep. You still haven't said what should have been done differently because you know that you are wrong. And 1-3 sucks donkey balls.

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    Weeden was hit as he threw the ball and if you watched the play at all you would have noticed that Benjamin was behind the defense. If he wasn't hit, the ball would have been thrown further. What should he have done differently on that play? Take the sack and punt the ball to the 20 yard line? It was the perfect time to try one deep. You still haven't said what should have been done differently because you know that you are wrong. And 1-3 sucks donkey balls.

    And your record was?

    The ball was thrown where it had no chance of being completed. End of story... and this conversation...

  • It's so tough to be a successful QB in today's league if you can't move well. Either REALLY well (Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, Luck, Tannehill, Rodgers, etc.) or at least reasonably well (Flacco, Ben, etc.). Defenses are drafting/finding pass rushers for all over the field and if you can't turn a broken pocket into a gain... you better be brilliant at reading defenses pre-snap like a Manning or Brady.

    Weeden is neither and gets very uncomfortable with a dirty pocket. I'm sure I'll take shit for overreacting, but I don't think he's the guy nor will he ever be. I'd make the switch to Jason Campbell now because he makes sense next year mentoring Tajh. Weeden isn't a starter or a backup/mentor.

    Honestly, Tannehill is a lot better than Weeden, period. Both have the big arms but Tannehill's a way better athlete, a finalist for the Academic Heisman, and 25. It's not close in value. The upside is this regime would not have passed on Tannehill. Mayock's quote: "You don't overthink it. You take the QB at #4." He meant Tannehill and Banner/Lombardi have the same philosophy.

    We'll see but I feel about Weeden like I felt about DA: Big arm and... well, big arm.

    @shep said:

    It's so tough to be a successful QB in today's league if you can't move well. Either REALLY well (Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, Luck, Tannehill, Rodgers, etc.) or at least reasonably well (Flacco, Ben, etc.). Defenses are drafting/finding pass rushers for all over the field and if you can't turn a broken pocket into a gain... you better be brilliant at reading defenses pre-snap like a Manning or Brady.

    Weeden is neither and gets very uncomfortable with a dirty pocket. I'm sure I'll take shit for overreacting, but I don't think he's the guy nor will he ever be. I'd make the switch to Jason Campbell now because he makes sense next year mentoring Tajh. Weeden isn't a starter or a backup/mentor.

    Honestly, Tannehill is a lot better than Weeden, period. Both have the big arms but Tannehill's a way better athlete, a finalist for the Academic Heisman, and 25. It's not close in value. The upside is this regime would not have passed on Tannehill. Mayock's quote: "You don't overthink it. You take the QB at #4." He meant Tannehill and Banner/Lombardi have the same philosophy.

    We'll see but I feel about Weeden like I felt about DA: Big arm and... well, big arm.

    Tannehill is a hell of a lot better then Weeden.

  • It's so tough to be a successful QB in today's league if you can't move well. Either REALLY well (Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, Luck, Tannehill, Rodgers, etc.) or at least reasonably well (Flacco, Ben, etc.). Defenses are drafting/finding pass rushers for all over the field and if you can't turn a broken pocket into a gain... you better be brilliant at reading defenses pre-snap like a Manning or Brady.

    Weeden is neither and gets very uncomfortable with a dirty pocket. I'm sure I'll take shit for overreacting, but I don't think he's the guy nor will he ever be. I'd make the switch to Jason Campbell now because he makes sense next year mentoring Tajh. Weeden isn't a starter or a backup/mentor.

    Honestly, Tannehill is a lot better than Weeden, period. Both have the big arms but Tannehill's a way better athlete, a finalist for the Academic Heisman, and 25. It's not close in value. The upside is this regime would not have passed on Tannehill. Mayock's quote: "You don't overthink it. You take the QB at #4." He meant Tannehill and Banner/Lombardi have the same philosophy.

    We'll see but I feel about Weeden like I felt about DA: Big arm and... well, big arm.

    @shep said:

    Weeden is neither and gets very uncomfortable with a dirty pocket. I'm sure I'll take shit for overreacting, but I don't think he's the guy nor will he ever be. I'd make the switch to Jason Campbell now because he makes sense next year mentoring Tajh. Weeden isn't a starter or a backup/mentor.

    Why? Why? Why? Why do us Browns fans overreact to our QB situation constantly? Would Campbell REALLY have done any better in this game? We played a tough defensive front and couldn't block sh**, and our WRs didn't help, potentially causing all 3 INTs.

    Weeden's play was probably our 5th or 6th worst problem of the day... blocking, wrs dropping passes and not getting open, secondary (sans Haden) getting beat, penalties, and possibly KR were worse. But, it's ALWAYS blame the QB... SMH

  • On the plus side, does 20 yards allows, 0.9 average, give us the best run defence in the league so far? 😎

  • Plus we can objectively say we weren't the worst team out there today. the Jaguars looked total ass, at least we only looked like major ass.