Hoyer named even though Weeden cleared to play...hmmmm
-
-
Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).
So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.
-
Oh, and I didn't even mention the SEC guys: McCarron, Murray, and Mettenberger. All should be gone by end of round 3.
If everybody comes out, 11 QBs are worthy of drafting no later than round 3. Someone's gonna get pushed down and be a steal, like Aaron Murray.
Stephen Morris might throw the best deep ball in the draft. There's just a ton of talent. At WR, too.
-
U tellin me Jacksonville wouldn't pony up a 3rd or a 4th for him. My god gabbert may be the biggest bust all time
-
2-0 with Hoyer. It has to suck to lose the starting job because of injury, however; you have to go with the hot hand. Hoyer has good command in the huddle, and makes good decisions. Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all! Before anyone says that Weeden didn't have the benefit of Josh Gordon for the first 2 games, well... he had him all last year, and didn't do shit!
Looks like the players are behind him as well:
“I call Hoyer the Hometown Hero. I’m going to start that campaign pretty soon here.” - Phil Taylor
Great story for Hoyer, but you have to wonder what's going through Weeden's head. Clearly a talented athlete, but failed at baseball, and now it looks like he's failing at football. I feel for the guy because he seems genuinely nice.
Give it a rest Shep... we don't need another QB Draft thread...
Looks like the players are behind him as well:
“I call Hoyer the Hometown Hero. I’m going to start that campaign pretty soon here.” - Phil Taylor
Great quote... leaders win locker rooms... easy to see the leader at QB on our roster...
I can understand that. I don't hate Weeden as a person. I mean, he probably is a nice guy, but from a football perspective drafting him in the 1st round was a reach. It's probably a big reason as to why Jimmy Haslam punched Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert's tickets out of town!
.. or a close 2nd to drafting TR with the #3 overall...
H&H were in panic mode from the get-go... trading up one friggin' spot to draft a RB... grabbing a 27 yo college QB...
Still makes me ill to think of it....
Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all!
Wheezy can put touch on the ball... we've seen him do it. But only when he is not under pressure.
The guy has to think on the field... has no instinct for the position. If he does not see an open receiver, he cannot pull the trigger.
-
Give it a rest Shep... we don't need another QB Draft thread...
Looks like the players are behind him as well:
“I call Hoyer the Hometown Hero. I’m going to start that campaign pretty soon here.” - Phil Taylor
Great quote... leaders win locker rooms... easy to see the leader at QB on our roster...
I can understand that. I don't hate Weeden as a person. I mean, he probably is a nice guy, but from a football perspective drafting him in the 1st round was a reach. It's probably a big reason as to why Jimmy Haslam punched Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert's tickets out of town!
.. or a close 2nd to drafting TR with the #3 overall...
H&H were in panic mode from the get-go... trading up one friggin' spot to draft a RB... grabbing a 27 yo college QB...
Still makes me ill to think of it....
Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all!
Wheezy can put touch on the ball... we've seen him do it. But only when he is not under pressure.
The guy has to think on the field... has no instinct for the position. If he does not see an open receiver, he cannot pull the trigger.
-
Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).
So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.
Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).
So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.
I was watching the SJSU-Utah State game and texting my friend about how much I liked Fales. I don't follow college football as heavily since I finished school and hadn't heard anything about him.
I'm texting my buddy about his release and how he seems poised in the pocket and how I think he'd be a great late round prospect that could eventually start and my buddy is just texting back "yeah" and "yep".
Come to find out that he's a first round prospect.
Moral of the story: I need cable television so I don't sound like a jackass.
-
I don't think Fales is QUITE first round yet. But I think he's 2nd or 3rd with a possibility to be that guy who rises into late one.
Again, if Hoyer's really good, that's the kind of guy we have the draft ammunition to take early in two, before somebody else gets the bright idea. Might be him, might be someone else. But Nick Foles still looks like a player (mopping up) and Russell Wilson certainly is, so clearly there are more prospects than can be wedged into those first 37 picks (some magic number from a beat writer, can't remember who).
I think it's just a matter of SO many teams drafting their quarterback over the past 5-7 years and it being the "Golden Age" of quarterbacking, where fewer teams are looking.
-
Love that Phil Taylor quote. Pretty evident from the game that Phil is in Hoyer's corner.
-
It's a really, REALLY strong quarterback draft. Both at the top and in depth. "Works in progress?" You mean more than most guys who haven't played pro football? I'm gonna have to disagree. It's just a really good QB draft, period.
It's a really, REALLY strong quarterback draft. Both at the top and in depth. "Works in progress?" You mean more than most guys who haven't played pro football? I'm gonna have to disagree. It's just a really good QB draft, period.
there's no 'given' in anything in life. no close but no cigar in anything but horseshoes and hand-grenades.
why even think about picking a QB (the biggest gamble of all in the poker game that is being a GM) if hoyer pans out?
why, just tell me?
i swear some people get a hardon for a player or a purpose and there is no reasoning with them.
sorta like right-wing republicans.
hell we gotta first out of indy for TR. can't we at least get a kicker for weeden?
-
Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).
So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.
Better than Ej Manuel, that's not hard to surpass by any means. Did you watch the game yesterday? He almost Gave that game to the ravens more than once.Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).
So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.
If not for Flaccos 5 picks this game was over by halftime.
How about the bills jets game the week before it was the worst game of quarterbacking I have watched in a long time. (And I'm a browns fan)
Don't think bridge is the best. I'm not big on the 204 pound frame.
I know I'm not going to sway your opinion but these qb's are ranked to high and overvalued.
I hope this front office thinks like the other successful teams in the NFL and don't overvalue their draft boards, and wait for value to come to them.
If I'm the browns FO I would be looking at 2-3 round for a qb not the first.
-
Give it a rest Shep... we don't need another QB Draft thread...
Looks like the players are behind him as well:
“I call Hoyer the Hometown Hero. I’m going to start that campaign pretty soon here.” - Phil Taylor
Great quote... leaders win locker rooms... easy to see the leader at QB on our roster...
I can understand that. I don't hate Weeden as a person. I mean, he probably is a nice guy, but from a football perspective drafting him in the 1st round was a reach. It's probably a big reason as to why Jimmy Haslam punched Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert's tickets out of town!
.. or a close 2nd to drafting TR with the #3 overall...
H&H were in panic mode from the get-go... trading up one friggin' spot to draft a RB... grabbing a 27 yo college QB...
Still makes me ill to think of it....
Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all!
Wheezy can put touch on the ball... we've seen him do it. But only when he is not under pressure.
The guy has to think on the field... has no instinct for the position. If he does not see an open receiver, he cannot pull the trigger.
Wheezy can put touch on the ball... we've seen him do it. But only when he is not under pressure.
The guy has to think on the field... has no instinct for the position. If he does not see an open receiver, he cannot pull the trigger.
I think thats a perfect description of Weeden. Hoyer is definitely the quicker decision maker and he can throw with accuracy. Maybe he doesn't have the cannon that Weeden does, but he gets the ball out and into the receivers hands.
Weeden did have to deal with Greg Little as #1 for those two weeks. And we know all the drop problems, but you have to stick with Hoyer and I believe he is the better all around qb.
-
Weeds ship has sailed and it's unfortunate...He's super kid...it just wasnt in the cards for him...He can take solace that his life is taken care of...I feel really bad for him..He tried his ass off and I commend him for it...good luck whatever happens to ya Weeds..regardless that things didnt work out thus far..Im still a weeden fan...But Im all in with Hoyer...
-
So you are saying after Bridgewater the talent level don't drop off?
I would say "no". I'm not even sold on Bridgewater as being the best QB in the draft.
I'd look out for Fales, Boyd, and Carr, hell even Mettenberger and Murray both looked capable in that game Saturday. Not to mention the underclassmen Mariota, Manziel, Hogan, and Hundley. If those guys come out we are in great shape to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and maybe even stash him for a year or two if Hoyer keeps playing well.
-
he's got to give them a better chance then what they have I mean they're losing 35-3 type games. I'd gamble on weeden if I was them.Why would they? Weeden is older than any QB on their roster.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login