Skip to content

Kirk Cousins and the Draft

The Browns Board
38 19 2.0k
  • S Sheepdog wrote on last edited by
    #1

    It's being reported that the Redskins are shutting down RGIII and that they are going to start Kirk Cousins for the rest of the year. Everyone knows that Shanahan will be gone at the end of this year but I also think that Cousins might be on his way out too. Rumors flew around a couple of weeks ago that RGIII feared losing his starting job to Cousins. RGIII and the Redskins owner Snyder have a close relationship so I see it within the realm of possibility that RGIII convinces Snyder to get rid of Cousins. Cousins played well against us last year and will be interesting to see how he plays for the rest of this year.

    Here is my "What if"....

    -Kirk Cousins tears it up for the final 3 games of the season but is shopped or let go because RGIII is insecure about himself.

    -The Browns trade one of their 3rd picks to get Cousins.

    -Don't draft a QB this year but instead focus on strengthening the OL and getting a WR.

    How would everyone feel about this?

    Personally I don't think this will happen but I like looking at every possibility. No way we don't draft a QB this year.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I like cousins. I'll take him on the browns. But even Snyder has to know Rg3 can't last.

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #3

    If Cousins were to play well he'd take that Indy pick, if he plays poorly he might go for a 3rd rounder. Either way I'd rather see a NFL product over 1st round speculation.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #4

    There might be something to getting a "veteran" over drafting a QB.....at least that person has some track record in the pro game.

    And, consider this, of all the QBs that started and won Super Bowls, the following all began their career with a different team than the one they won with:

    Len Dawson

    Jim Plunkett

    Doug Williams

    Mark Rypien

    Steve Young

    Brett Favre

    Trent Dilfer

    Brad Johnson

    Drew Brees

    Kurt Warner

    So, of the 46 Super Bowls contested, 23.9% of them were won by "retread" QBs.

    Edit note: you could also possibly include Joe Theismann on this list....he was drafted by the Dolphins but never played there, played in Canada, then went to the Redskins.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #5

    it doesnt matter RGIII wont be in football after next year..

  • USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
    #6

    From what I've seen, Cousins has looked good. I don't mind spending a late first on him if the FO thinks he can be the guy. He's still young...

  • S Shep wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Cousins is a poor man's Andy Dalton... and that's not good enough. He'd be a third "dirty starter" for the Browns, the guy holding the job until The Guy is ready.

    I liked Cousins for the WCO, BTW. Didn't love him but liked him.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #8

    don't understand the love fest over cousins.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I am by no means in love with Cousins.....he is totally unproven. Had a couple of good games (primarily the one vs. the Browns).

    Yes, he could just be Scott Mitchell redux.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Why don't we watch him play first??

    and, 24% Gip?? I like the odds of drafting my guy a lot better than that...

  • Why don't we watch him play first??

    and, 24% Gip?? I like the odds of drafting my guy a lot better than that...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @thenew23 said:

    Why don't we watch him play first??

    and, 24% Gip?? I like the odds of drafting my guy a lot better than that...

    Someone had said that there are other ways of obtaining a Super Bowl winning caliber QB than drafting him.....I was joint pointing out a certain percentage of those ways. While certainly one way is to draft a QB high, that is not the only way.

    By the way....the percentage should be higher......I didn't count Johnny Unitas, originally with the Steelers before going to the Colts. So it it definitely over one quarter of all winning SB QBs.

    Lets see, who were the #1 overalls?:

    Namath of the AFL draft.

    Bradshaw

    Elway

    Payton

    Aikman

    Eli

    Plunkett? I am not sure he was #1

    More winners were traded for than were #1s...though the #1s do seem to win more multiple SBS.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Why don't we watch him play first??

    and, 24% Gip?? I like the odds of drafting my guy a lot better than that...

    Someone had said that there are other ways of obtaining a Super Bowl winning caliber QB than drafting him.....I was joint pointing out a certain percentage of those ways. While certainly one way is to draft a QB high, that is not the only way.

    By the way....the percentage should be higher......I didn't count Johnny Unitas, originally with the Steelers before going to the Colts. So it it definitely over one quarter of all winning SB QBs.

    Lets see, who were the #1 overalls?:

    Namath of the AFL draft.

    Bradshaw

    Elway

    Payton

    Aikman

    Eli

    Plunkett? I am not sure he was #1

    More winners were traded for than were #1s...though the #1s do seem to win more multiple SBS.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @the-gipper said:

    Someone had said that there are other ways of obtaining a Super Bowl winning caliber QB than drafting him.....I was joint pointing out a certain percentage of those ways. While certainly one way is to draft a QB high, that is not the only way.

    By the way....the percentage should be higher......I didn't count Johnny Unitas, originally with the Steelers before going to the Colts. So it it definitely over one quarter of all winning SB QBs.

    Lets see, who were the #1 overalls?:

    Namath of the AFL draft.

    Bradshaw

    Elway

    Payton

    Aikman

    Eli

    Plunkett? I am not sure he was #1

    More winners were traded for than were #1s...though the #1s do seem to win more multiple SBS.

    Don't just look at #1 overalls... almost 50% of Super Bowl Winning QBs were drafted in the top 12, and more than 60% were drafted in the top 32, or what would be the first round now...

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #13

    What if Washington decides to get rid of RG3 instead?

  • it doesnt matter RGIII wont be in football after next year..

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @nickers said:

    it doesnt matter RGIII wont be in football after next year..

    When RG twee was drafted I said he wouldn't last 5 years/ The was damaged in college and it has only gotten worse

  • @the-gipper said:

    Someone had said that there are other ways of obtaining a Super Bowl winning caliber QB than drafting him.....I was joint pointing out a certain percentage of those ways. While certainly one way is to draft a QB high, that is not the only way.

    By the way....the percentage should be higher......I didn't count Johnny Unitas, originally with the Steelers before going to the Colts. So it it definitely over one quarter of all winning SB QBs.

    Lets see, who were the #1 overalls?:

    Namath of the AFL draft.

    Bradshaw

    Elway

    Payton

    Aikman

    Eli

    Plunkett? I am not sure he was #1

    More winners were traded for than were #1s...though the #1s do seem to win more multiple SBS.

    Don't just look at #1 overalls... almost 50% of Super Bowl Winning QBs were drafted in the top 12, and more than 60% were drafted in the top 32, or what would be the first round now...

    S Shep wrote on last edited by
    #15

    That's where they come from, as Mayock recently said. Quarterback is a first round proposition, mostly top 12. After pick 37 it really goes to shit.

    I think Wilson and Foles are doubling the number of quarterbacks succeeding for their original team who were picked after round 2. The others are Romo and Brady.

    @thenew23 said:

    Don't just look at #1 overalls... almost 50% of Super Bowl Winning QBs were drafted in the top 12, and more than 60% were drafted in the top 32, or what would be the first round now...

  • @nickers said:

    it doesnt matter RGIII wont be in football after next year..

    When RG twee was drafted I said he wouldn't last 5 years/ The was damaged in college and it has only gotten worse

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @browns149 said:

    When RG twee was drafted I said he wouldn't last 5 years/ The was damaged in college and it has only gotten worse

    Yeah,And will likely be the reason,or part of the reason Shanny gets axed.

  • H HurricanE wrote on last edited by
    #17

    hahaah all those RGIII supporters look stupid now, I love it, never liked the guy

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Don't think you give up on the rookie of the year after 13 games but RGIII has struggled a bit.

  • @nickers said:

    it doesnt matter RGIII wont be in football after next year..

    When RG twee was drafted I said he wouldn't last 5 years/ The was damaged in college and it has only gotten worse

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @browns149 said:

    When RG twee was drafted I said he wouldn't last 5 years/ The was damaged in college and it has only gotten worse

    Maybe, maybe not. Statistically Griffin isn't that bad this year- but the Redskins suck. The Rams thank you for your suckage, and yet another high first rond pick.

    @hurricane said:

    hahaah all those RGIII supporters look stupid now, I love it, never liked the guy

    I don't dislike the guy, but I do dislike the hype. Nice to see the ESPN frontrunners get off his schlong now that he isn't winning.

  • hahaah all those RGIII supporters look stupid now, I love it, never liked the guy

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @hurricane said:

    hahaah all those RGIII supporters look stupid now, I love it, never liked the guy

    I never liked him either...I saw him as pure shit waiting to get Injured (exposed)