Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Pa. town latest to force drivers over and ask for cheek swabs (dna) for federal 'study'

Pa. town latest to force drivers over and ask for cheek swabs (dna) for federal 'study'

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
26 Posts 11 Posters 1.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

    I'd rather they didn't have my DNA. Fortunately, I retired from the Military before they started taking DNA from everyone. Call me paranoid.

    LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 10k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I'd rather they didn't have my DNA. Fortunately, I retired from the Military before they started taking DNA from everyone. Call me paranoid.

    This. I don't trust the shit birds in Washington to make me a hamburger. I certainly wouldn't trust them with a mega database of everyone's DNA.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

      I'd rather they didn't have my DNA. Fortunately, I retired from the Military before they started taking DNA from everyone. Call me paranoid.

      koalabazooka koalabazookaK
      • 535 Posts
      • 5 Reputation
      koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
      #22

      @diehardbrownsfan said:

      I'd rather they didn't have my DNA. Fortunately, I retired from the Military before they started taking DNA from everyone. Call me paranoid.

      You served in Vietnam?

      Fantasy League Updates Weak SexStarted by Zombo, Today, 09:10 AM @slowburn said:okay, bazooka, you win. r u fucking happy now? u got the last word. btw, your avatar and board name really grate my nerves for some reason.. http://thumbpress.com/best-of-surprised-koala-bear-meme-25-pics/
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • W Westside Steve

        @logicisforsquares said:

        This. No one is forcing anyone to take the test. I would tell them to fuck off and be on my way.

        personally I'm not freaked out by the story. I assume if I have a problem with it I tell them No thank you sir may I please be on my way? If they say thank you sir have a good day then no harm no foul. But, as opposed to many of you guys, I think there should be DNA on file for every United States citizen. I think it's a much more scientific and intelligent way of identification then A 9 digit number that anyone can swipe. Plus I can't see what anybody would use my DNA for that would be so terribly egregious

        WSS

        Osiris OsirisO Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 2k Posts
        • 125 Reputation
        OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by Osiris
        #23

        @westside-steve said:

        Plus I can't see what anybody would use my DNA for that would be so terribly egregious.

        WSS

        Let me give you some examples. By having your DNA on file:

        1) you could be framed for a crime with planted DNA evidence.

        2) your genome could be sequenced. Suppose you are found to have a near certainty of having cancer in your future. Do you want your employer, health insurance, or life insurance companies to know this? Having everyone's genome on file has huge implications on the very foundation of the system of insurance. We aren't talking just about cancer here, but a whole host of monogenic and polygenic diseases that could have a huge impact on your life.

        3) suppose you are found to contain a very rare gene that confers protection against a disease, and a pharmaceutical company gets their hands on it and develops a treatment. They sell it for profit, and you don't see a penny. Is that fair that your genetic data was used without your knowledge and that you don't even get a share of the profits?

        4) suppose your genetic profile suggests you are 10x more likely to commit a violent crime. Should the government be able to lock you up based on the threat of a committed crime? Do you even want them to be able to consider something like this?

        There are dozens of other ways this could be abused. I work in genetics and I'd be the first person to oppose such a database of genetic data. It isn't paranoia, it is common sense to believe that someone WILL abuse a system like this.

        FYI we already have cheap genomics.

        "I said, 'I need someone who's going to want to get on the roller coaster with me knowing that it's not always going to be fun,'" -Paul DePodesta
        W 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
          • 6k Posts
          • 221 Reputation
          Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
          #24

          They were very curious to see how inbreeding has progressed there.

          Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • OsirisO Osiris

            @westside-steve said:

            Plus I can't see what anybody would use my DNA for that would be so terribly egregious.

            WSS

            Let me give you some examples. By having your DNA on file:

            1) you could be framed for a crime with planted DNA evidence.

            2) your genome could be sequenced. Suppose you are found to have a near certainty of having cancer in your future. Do you want your employer, health insurance, or life insurance companies to know this? Having everyone's genome on file has huge implications on the very foundation of the system of insurance. We aren't talking just about cancer here, but a whole host of monogenic and polygenic diseases that could have a huge impact on your life.

            3) suppose you are found to contain a very rare gene that confers protection against a disease, and a pharmaceutical company gets their hands on it and develops a treatment. They sell it for profit, and you don't see a penny. Is that fair that your genetic data was used without your knowledge and that you don't even get a share of the profits?

            4) suppose your genetic profile suggests you are 10x more likely to commit a violent crime. Should the government be able to lock you up based on the threat of a committed crime? Do you even want them to be able to consider something like this?

            There are dozens of other ways this could be abused. I work in genetics and I'd be the first person to oppose such a database of genetic data. It isn't paranoia, it is common sense to believe that someone WILL abuse a system like this.

            FYI we already have cheap genomics.

            Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
            • 39k Posts
            • 9k Reputation
            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
            #25

            @osiris said:

            Let me give you some examples. By having your DNA on file:

            1) you could be framed for a crime with planted DNA evidence.

            Much more likely that you would be exonerated for a crime of which you were innocent. Especially in these days where eye witness testimony is allowed.

            Maybe we should ban fingerprints or blood type...

            2) your genome could be sequenced. Suppose you are found to have a near certainty of having cancer in your future. Do you want your employer, health insurance, or life insurance companies to know this? Having everyone's genome on file has huge implications on the very foundation of the system of insurance. We aren't talking just about cancer here, but a whole host of monogenic and polygenic diseases that could have a huge impact on your life.

            Knowing years in advance that I will almost certainly get cancer? Of course I want to know that. I'd imagine the insurance companies would want to start treating me immediately especially if the Affordable Care Act remains in place and the insurance companies are forced to pay for everyones endless medical treatment regardless.

            3) suppose you are found to contain a very rare gene that confers protection against a disease, and a pharmaceutical company gets their hands on it and develops a treatment. They sell it for profit, and you don't see a penny. Is that fair that your genetic data was used without your knowledge and that you don't even get a share of the profits?

            I don't see the huge evil in pharmaceutical companies making profit. Especially if it means ending Lou Gehrig's disease or childhood leukemia or whatever devastating illness you choose.

            4) suppose your genetic profile suggests you are 10x more likely to commit a violent crime. Should the government be able to lock you up based on the threat of a committed crime? Do you even want them to be able to consider something like this?

            I think you are watching too many Tom Cruise movies. What if what if what if... Hey what if your genetics show that you are 80 percent more likely to burst into spontaneous combustion while filling your gas tank. Sorry that one just doesn't seem very realistic. I don't think genetics can show what crime you may commit. I don't think genetics can tell me who will be the next president, dictator, mass murderer or Antichrist.

            There are dozens of other ways this could be abused. I work in genetics and I'd be the first person to oppose such a database of genetic data. It isn't paranoia, it is common sense to believe that someone WILL abuse a system like this.

            FYI we already have cheap genomics.

            I suppose the bottom line is we aren't putting that toothpaste back into the tube, genie back in the bottle whatever you choose. Technology isn't going to be stopped. I would much rather use DNA then a9 digit number more suited to the 19th century than modern day.

            WSS

            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
              • 64k Posts
              • 8k Reputation
              C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
              #26

              That 9 digit number can't be used against you in a court where the gov, or some other org, frames

              some political person they don't like. DNA can be collected, or even manufactured in the future?

              And placed in a criminal event environment, and a person, say prominent activist disagreeing with

              a gov...would go to prison.

              I'm sure it's been done in Russia/Soviet Union...

              sounds like a movie....

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              Theme
              • System
              • Light
              • Dark
              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Forums
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Donate