Favorite Actors or Actresses
-
Those movies probably also appeal to a wider variety of people.
Yea, because they are more entertaining.
Your Iron Man style action film with the effects, tony stark lifestyle, high on fast paced action with a comedy twist is generally great viewing. But it doesn't require much thinking. The academy rewards those films that get your brain/emotions more involved, generally, with a few notable exceptions, when a film like Titanic, Return of the King etc comes along and is just such a huge success that you have to acknowledge it.
I am not a member of the "Academy", but I bet they do not have a requirement of "Best Picture that makes you think." It is just Best Picture.
And if they are going to make it a requirement that it just be the "Best Picture that makes you think" , then they need to expand the Oscar Categories.
Like they did for animated feature films, which has only been a category now for about a decade.
Maybe they should create a category for Most Entertaining Movie or some such.
(they should create a category for "Best Comedy" as no Comedy these days has a snowball's chance in hell of winning Best Picture".
Exactly Gip. Different strokes for different folks. I'm strictly a SiFy action adventure kind of guy. And those sort of movies almost never take home the (big) Oscars.
Fer example "The Last Picture Show" (didn't even realize Jeff Bridges was in it until I looked it up) won a shit ton of Oscars, and I thought it sucked. Never have seen a Woody Allen movie that I liked- I thought "Annie Hall" sucked so bad it's one of the few movies I actually got up and left before it was over- yup multiple Oscars there too. Oh- it's competition that year? Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Needless to say, I don't give the Academy much credit, they go artsy-craftsy over Box Office Blockbuster every time. I suppose I'll get around to watching Black Swan and Dallas Buyers Club eventually- though the wifie has already warned me I probably won't like them.
Exactly Gip. Different strokes for different folks. I'm strictly a SiFy action adventure kind of guy. And those sort of movies almost never take home the (big) Oscars.
Fer example "The Last Picture Show" (didn't even realize Jeff Bridges was in it until I looked it up) won a shit ton of Oscars, and I thought it sucked. Never have seen a Woody Allen movie that I liked- I thought "Annie Hall" sucked so bad it's one of the few movies I actually got up and left before it was over- yup multiple Oscars there too. Oh- it's competition that year? Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Needless to say, I don't give the Academy much credit, they go artsy-craftsy over Box Office Blockbuster every time. I suppose I'll get around to watching Black Swan and Dallas Buyers Club eventually- though the wifie has already warned me I probably won't like them.
Well, perhaps to entice you, in White Swan Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis do engage in a little (or a lot) of girl on girl action.....for what that's worth. (and yes, it is there but only feigned at. Under the Sheets Colonel Angus)
-
The Mila lesbo scene was worth the price of admission
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login