Skip to content

Who all think Bortels is next Worthlessburger?

The Browns Board
38 17 1.8k
  • Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

    EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

  • Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    @jeffinwv said:

    Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    Neither one. This is not a deep year for QBs.

    I see Manziel as a smaller BR or a slightly larger Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton could not play today, and if BR was smaller he'd be pummelled to death, as long as he holds on to the ball. So I don't think that bodes well for Manziel. Maybe he will be more like a Doug Flutie. Best to improve the team at other positions and pick QB next year.You have to go with what the draft offers each year, or else you use first round picks on second round talent. Unfortunately that takes years, and Browns coaches never have the luxury of having a long term draft strategy.

  • Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

    How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

  • Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

    EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

    @tour2ma said:

    Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

    EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

    Runs one at the opening (longest of the nite) and two at the 10:40 mark... not going to be mistaken for Usane Bolt, but he'd lap me in a heartbeat...

    Some pretty ugly stuff early on pass-wise, but he settles in the 2nd half... including some nice roll-out action right and left.

  • He will be no better or worse then John football

    and he will be no worse then teddy

    none of them are worth a 4th pick. But seeing as EVERYONE at the top of the draft needs a qb, we will be stuck with one of these guys.

    Clowney, or Watkins will almost for sure be better then ANY of the QB's in this draft

  • Yea but whats the chances one of them is the next Rus Wilson?Not amazing but smart and crafty with the ball? Not turning it over? Could any of them be good as him? If so I guess he would be acceptable?

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

    How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

    @jcam222 said:

    How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

    I don't know if he'd bust out the "Weeden flip" BUT he does have something in his arsenal thats intriguing to me and that's a sidearm with some zip, ala Kosar....

  • Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    @jeffinwv said:

    Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    hey man, no disrespect....god bless you for hangin in with the real boys being a browns fan

    BUT kentucky was as close as i ever wanted to get to WV. gorgeous country. just a little scary for city folk.

    hey how's geno smith doing? tell him tim from NY says hi/bye!

  • @jeffinwv said:

    Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    hey man, no disrespect....god bless you for hangin in with the real boys being a browns fan

    BUT kentucky was as close as i ever wanted to get to WV. gorgeous country. just a little scary for city folk.

    hey how's geno smith doing? tell him tim from NY says hi/bye!

    @miktoxic said:

    hey man, no disrespect....god bless you for hangin in with the real boys being a browns fan

    BUT kentucky was as close as i ever wanted to get to WV. gorgeous country. just a little scary for city folk.

    hey how's geno smith doing? tell him tim from NY says hi/bye!

    Im surprised it took yall this long.I was born in Cleveland but left the town and accent behind long ago.Geno is doing fine...I think he won twice the games Cleveland did somehow.Im surprised because honestly I wasn't that high on high coming out.That team nosedived in the last part of the season. they were up to 4TH in the country.

    And the city kinda creeps me out anymore as well. In pittsburg the other day I hated how the roads seemed smaller and you never got out of traffic.Here in my town we can just drive whatever speed we want and its just not nearly as crowded on the road.

    But I love it when people talk about WV.We have been overlooked and kinda let fall by the wayside for a long time.Not as bad anymore but use to when there was a flood or disaster here we were kinda forgot about and not help like a lot of the high profile areas, but like I said its a lot better now.

    But all in all youll not find friendlier people than those that live here.Even in Morgantown on gameday people will offer visting people from Texas or Oklahoma food off the grill of a drink. Youll have your exception as you will everywhere.

  • @miktoxic said:

    hey man, no disrespect....god bless you for hangin in with the real boys being a browns fan

    BUT kentucky was as close as i ever wanted to get to WV. gorgeous country. just a little scary for city folk.

    hey how's geno smith doing? tell him tim from NY says hi/bye!

    Im surprised it took yall this long.I was born in Cleveland but left the town and accent behind long ago.Geno is doing fine...I think he won twice the games Cleveland did somehow.Im surprised because honestly I wasn't that high on high coming out.That team nosedived in the last part of the season. they were up to 4TH in the country.

    And the city kinda creeps me out anymore as well. In pittsburg the other day I hated how the roads seemed smaller and you never got out of traffic.Here in my town we can just drive whatever speed we want and its just not nearly as crowded on the road.

    But I love it when people talk about WV.We have been overlooked and kinda let fall by the wayside for a long time.Not as bad anymore but use to when there was a flood or disaster here we were kinda forgot about and not help like a lot of the high profile areas, but like I said its a lot better now.

    But all in all youll not find friendlier people than those that live here.Even in Morgantown on gameday people will offer visting people from Texas or Oklahoma food off the grill of a drink. Youll have your exception as you will everywhere.

    @jeffinwv said:

    Im surprised it took yall this long.I was born in Cleveland but left the town and accent behind long ago.Geno is doing fine...I think he won twice the games Cleveland did somehow.Im surprised because honestly I wasn't that high on high coming out.That team nosedived in the last part of the season. they were up to 4TH in the country.

    And the city kinda creeps me out anymore as well. In pittsburg the other day I hated how the roads seemed smaller and you never got out of traffic.Here in my town we can just drive whatever speed we want and its just not nearly as crowded on the road.

    But I love it when people talk about WV.We have been overlooked and kinda let fall by the wayside for a long time.Not as bad anymore but use to when there was a flood or disaster here we were kinda forgot about and not help like a lot of the high profile areas, but like I said its a lot better now.

    But all in all youll not find friendlier people than those that live here.Even in Morgantown on gameday people will offer visting people from Texas or Oklahoma food off the grill of a drink. Youll have your exception as you will everywhere.

    you are right about the state. i was stationed at fort knox KY (jelly) and used to take little road trips with coolers full of beer and would end up in cincy or WV or wherever. being amongst people in towns like morgansville is cool, it's when you get off the main roads and drive though the 'hollars' where you're rocking out motley crue down a dirt road and ride pass a family living in a shack and seeing a guy reaching for his shotgun on his rickety porch with the kids knawing on a tree for something to eat sends chills down your spine:

    and if you never got turned onto nick cave, smack your mama.

  • and 20 years later: (SOB)

  • Nobody is the next anybody. Too many variables. I figure he's got as good a chance as any in the top 4.

    WSS

  • that guys a heck of a piano player...I attempt to play..i have two keyboards here..but I play guitar primarily.but I like that guy..if im in that sorto mood

  • read the Wikipedia article about the buffalo creek disaster in the 70s and that sums up how the people of our state have been treated

    read how WV sued that caol company for 100 million and the coal sympathetic gov moore settle for 1 million 3 days for he left office...and the law firm dontated WV money for a community center for those people and we never built it...

    It is one of the great injustices in this nations history

  • I thought the lyrics were a little clumsy and the performance workman like.

    WSS

  • IMO Bortles is not near the pure athlete Manziel is. Manziel is by far more mobile than Bortles. I mean is that really debatable?

    among Carr Manziel Bortles and Bridgewater , he has the lowest percentage of passes defended or int by the D and he has the second highest roll out completion %.

    Johnneys completion percentage is about 69% and Bortles is about 65%

    @jeffinwv said:

    IMO Bortles is not near the pure athlete Manziel is. Manziel is by far more mobile than Bortles. I mean is that really debatable?

    among Carr Manziel Bortles and Bridgewater , he has the lowest percentage of passes defended or int by the D and he has the second highest roll out completion %.

    Johnneys completion percentage is about 69% and Bortles is about 65%

    There is a difference between being more mobile than being "more athletic".

    They are different kinds of athletes.....that doesn't mean one is better than the other.

    Faster, stronger, smarter. All these elements apply in an athlete.

    If Bortles is like BR and can stand in there and make a play with 2 defenders hanging off him that makes him better athletically that way than Manziel would be who would probably fold like a lawn chair.

    On occasion being a QB requires gladiator like skills....not just jackrabbit like skills.

    I also am not enamored with minor differences in completion percentages in college.

    Now don't get me wrong, JM may be a better choice, maybe not. But just don't equate total athleticism to a single skill.

  • that guys a heck of a piano player...I attempt to play..i have two keyboards here..but I play guitar primarily.but I like that guy..if im in that sorto mood

    @jeffinwv said:

    that guys a heck of a piano player...I attempt to play..i have two keyboards here..but I play guitar primarily.but I like that guy..if im in that sorto mood

    when your an insomniac like me and you start staring at the 3rd run of walking dead midseason repeat season premier ya kinda get in that light a candle and wait for a jumper comin off the top of the building type of mood.

    death ballads.

    @westside-steve said:

    I thought the lyrics were a little clumsy and the performance workman like.

    WSS

    he definitely progressed from his work in his first band.

    he's a british version IMO of like a tom waits or tj burnett. sad taxi cab coffee clatch material.

    great lyrics though.