Clevedog Mock Draft 1.0 - In Hoyer We Trust
-
One of Shaziers biggest weaknesses is his ability to stuff the run and you want to put him at MLB? He is the perfect size for a blitzing 4-3 OLB, but he would not only be terrible as a MLB in any scheme, but likely out a bunch from injuries. Don't try to put a square peg into a round hole and try to tell me its a triangle.
He's too small to be an OLB, period. They're 6'3+ 240+. Not 6'1 225. He's MLB size. If Mingo is too small to play OLB how is Shazier perfect size? How are there this many people that think OLB in the NFL are 6'1-6'2 225? At any rate, he's good at stopping the run, actually great at it - what he struggled with mostly was playing the run.
Stuffing the run - making the play when in position
Playing the run - reading the play and putting yourself in position to make the play
Like Roby, I believe most of his struggle was due to OSU's terrible defensive schemes. I could be wrong, but I'm not the only one who thinks this either.
He's too small to be an OLB, period. They're 6'3+ 240+. Not 6'1 225. He's MLB size. If Mingo is too small to play OLB how is Shazier perfect size? How are there this many people that think OLB in the NFL are 6'1-6'2 225? At any rate, he's good at stopping the run, actually great at it - what he struggled with mostly was playing the run.
Stuffing the run - making the play when in position
Playing the run - reading the play and putting yourself in position to make the play
Like Roby, I believe most of his struggle was due to OSU's terrible defensive schemes. I could be wrong, but I'm not the only one who thinks this either.
I've never personally claimed that Mingo is too small to play OLB. He MIGHT be considered small as a 3-4 OLB, but I don't think too many would consider him small as a 4-3 OLB. You need to take into account that OLB and MLB are different when it comes to a 3-4 and a 4-3 defense. By ANY account your MLB in either defense needs to have more meat on them because they need to go down hill and take on Guards and Rushers. OLB need to be faster as they have to get more around the edge and to the sidelines. Your right, he can play the run, but I want my MLB to stuff the run, but run people down from behind when they are already 5+ yards down the field.
As I have also said Shazier is not a run STUFFER. He gets people in the side and from behind by using his superior athletic ability. He does not have the size or the strength to shed blocks very well or to to most rushers head on. This has been PROVEN. It is in his film. Maybe I am being a bit more ridiculous by saying that he can't play OLB in a 3-4, cause he does have good blitzing ability and is more proven in coverage, but by in no way am I off track by saying he wouldn't make it as a MLB in any scheme in the NFL, at least not at his current weight.
I'm also not claiming that OSU has the best schemes, but I saw the same thing all through Shaziers career. And if the scheme is the issue how do you explain Roby being dominate in 2012 and medicare in 2013? It wasn't the scheme that was getting him burnt.
And out of all of this, my main issue still stands. Shazier is a serious injury risk. I don't want to see the Browns draft a guy in the second round who misses on average 1 quarter a game. That's one thing when your 30 and still playing, but at 23 or what ever he is that is a huge concern.
-
Absolutely. No doubt the injury is a risk but assuming the drafted Watkins at 4 I think he'll be the best player available at 26 other than receivers or corners. QBs that I wouldn't mind drafting (Carr McCarron garappolo) will all either be gone (carr) or available later in the draft. Corner is particularly deep so I don't mind waiting to Draft one and that leaves Shazier. Again injury is a risk, but it was with t rich too (bad pick for other reasons) etc.
As for Roby I obviously can't prove it, nor can anyone on either side, but gambling corners live feast or famine often. This is what I believe happened with Roby and with good coaching it won't continue. That and osu defensive schemes hurt as well. That's just the thought. Won't know until we or someone else drafts him and we see how he develops of course.
-
One of Shaziers biggest weaknesses is his ability to stuff the run and you want to put him at MLB? He is the perfect size for a blitzing 4-3 OLB, but he would not only be terrible as a MLB in any scheme, but likely out a bunch from injuries. Don't try to put a square peg into a round hole and try to tell me its a triangle.
He's too small to be an OLB, period. They're 6'3+ 240+. Not 6'1 225. He's MLB size. If Mingo is too small to play OLB how is Shazier perfect size? How are there this many people that think OLB in the NFL are 6'1-6'2 225? At any rate, he's good at stopping the run, actually great at it - what he struggled with mostly was playing the run.
Stuffing the run - making the play when in position
Playing the run - reading the play and putting yourself in position to make the play
Like Roby, I believe most of his struggle was due to OSU's terrible defensive schemes. I could be wrong, but I'm not the only one who thinks this either.
He's too small to be an OLB, period. They're 6'3+ 240+. Not 6'1 225. He's MLB size. If Mingo is too small to play OLB how is Shazier perfect size? How are there this many people that think OLB in the NFL are 6'1-6'2 225?
All your size comments just did not ring true. Unfortunately google failed to turn up any size data broken down to scheme and in/ outside position... so I did a little digging.
Seems clear to me that:
- the largest LBs tend to be 3-4 OLBs,
- the smallest 4-3 OLBs, and
- MLBs/ILBs tend to fall in between.
Also thought it might be enlightening to look at Buffalo's LBs.
Based on what I see, it seems to me to be a safe bet that Shazier will not be a Brown.
All the data is from here: http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=team&playerType=current
In the table OLBs are listed first and MLBs/ILBs second as follows:
Team ----- OLB / OLB ..... MLB or ILB / ILB
Teams that run the 3-4 currently include:
Niners ------ 6'3 259 / 6'4 265 ....... 6'1 240 / 6'0 242
Jets --------- 6'6 290 / 6'4 265 ....... 6'2 250 / 6'2 239
Cardinals -- 6'4 263 / 6'5 285 ....... 6'2 238 / 6'1 242
Ravens ----- 5'11 260 /6'3 260 ....... 6'2 248 / 6'1 240
Packers ---- 6'3 255 / 6'3 265 ....... 6'1 247 / 6'3 242
Chiefs ------ 6'3 258 / 6'3 275 ....... 6'3 242 / 6'2 249
Chargers --- 6'2 255 / 6'3 260 ....... 6'1 242 / 6'1 241
Redskins --- 6'4 260 / --------- ....... 5'10 242/ 6'0 238
Eagles ------- 6'4 264 / 6'3 270 ....... 6'0 240 / 6'1 247
Steelers ----- 6'2 262 / 6'1 248 ....... 6'1 234 / 6'1 250
0 of 19 OLBs under 240; 4 of 20 ILBs under 240.
Teams that currently run the 4-3 defense include:
Seahawks -- 6'3 248 / 6'4 246 ....... 6'0 241
Bengals ---- 6'1 255 / 6'1 237 ....... 6'2 255
Bears ------- 6'1 244 / 6'1 245 ....... 6'1 245
Bucs -------- 6'1 233 / 6'1 227 ....... 6'1 241
Cowboys --- 6'2 246 / 6'2 234 ....... 6'2 234
Falcons ----- 6'2 230 / 6'0 230 ....... 6'1 239
Rams ------- 6'3 237 / 6'2 245 ....... 6'2 248
Lions -------- 6'2 238 / 6'1 236 ....... 5'11 240
Jaguars ----- 6'1 226 / 6'3 238 ....... 6'2 242
Vikings ------ 6'2 242 / 6'1 243 ....... 6'3 244
Panthers ---- 6'1 235 / 6'3 245 ....... 6'3 235
12 of 22 OLBs under 240; 3 of 11 MLBs under 240
4 of 22 OLBs at/under 230
Buffalo Bills
MLB 6'3 238 <--- lightest LB
OLB 6'2 241
OLB 6'2 254
OLB 6'5 240
OLB 6'3 249
-
Great reply! So my thinking on this is Shazier doesn't fit either position and shouldn't be drafted! However he obviously will get drafted and he is too small to play OLB in 3-4 and not ideal for either position in 4-3. He will either go to a 4-3 OLB or ILB or he will go to a 3-4 ILB. Not sure which but my suspicion obviously is that if the Browns fill the WR need at 4 and he is available they may draft him for depth and to replace dansby in a year.
Really good data though. I love data.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login