Skip to content

Quarterback prospects highs vs lows

The Browns Board
28 16 1.2k
  • I tried to pick players with similar skill sets and play styles, not skin color. I tried to use size, but it starts getting incredibly hard when you have such a rare player like Manziel. He has a huge bust to success rate and I don't see a grey area with him. Either he will be really good or just a turd.

    Your right PG, Carr isn't 28, so he does have that going for him. I thought about using Favre as his high, because he has potential, but watching him tremble in the pocket gave me flash backs of the ginger cringer.

    I never thought of Steve Young as a runner. He was mobile and that was a big part of his game, but he was a passer first. I wanted to put Aaron Rodgers as his ceiling, but I figured there would be a uproar and this would thread would boil down to homer name calling and die. The main point I was trying to make is he should be successful in a WCO but will probably struggle in most of the other styles.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I never thought of Steve Young as a runner. He was mobile and that was a big part of his game, but he was a passer first.

    Well, they are all passers first, but Steve Young ran for 4,329 yards and 43 TDs in the NFL ... Bridgewater doesn't run ... 0.8 ypc in college. I could see if you used Steve Young for Manziel ... but Bridgewater?

    And Cunningham was a big , tall guy with a rocket arm, so the manziel comparison I find baffling.

    Manziels high would be Fran Tarkenton, or Young. His low would be Bubby Brister.

    Zombo

  • OK, I see how this works:

    Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway

    ........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham

    Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)

    .................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps

    John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie

    .........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow

    (right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)

    Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler

    .....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer

  • OK, I see how this works:

    Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway

    ........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham

    Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)

    .................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps

    John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie

    .........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow

    (right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)

    Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler

    .....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, I see how this works:

    Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway

    ........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham

    Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)

    .................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps

    John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie

    .........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow

    (right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)

    Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler

    .....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer

    Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, I see how this works:

    Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway

    ........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham

    Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)

    .................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps

    John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie

    .........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow

    (right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)

    Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler

    .....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer

    Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.

    @hoorta said:

    Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.

    I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.

    As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?

  • @hoorta said:

    Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.

    I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.

    As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?

    @the-gipper said:

    I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.

    As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?

    Let's say height and style of play. Brees doesn't run and IIRC Jurgenson was a statue.

  • Bortles has decent size but not NEARLY as big as Big Rape...nor is he framed similarly or as hard to bring down. and he WISHES he had HALF the arm of Horse Face.

    very VERY few NFL QB's have had an elite and accurate cannon like Elway... Cutler, Favre, Bradshaw...Carson Palmer >>> most don't realize it but the latter was once able to throw over 95 fucking yards through the air at one of those QB competitions. yes...i said through the air.

    Bortles has a typical Pennington/Matt Ryan/Shaub/Cassell very average arm. nothing special at all to deserve such high praise in my opinon. he IS accurate though...Montana may be a better fit on his arm...but Vince Young/Cam Newton are probably closer still.

  • Comparing Derek Carr to Brandon Weeden is fucking ignorant.

    @poeticg said:

    Comparing Derek Carr to Brandon Weeden is fucking ignorant.

    Probably an accurate statement...........................................Weeden likely has a higher upside 😛

  • @the-gipper said:

    I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.

    As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?

    Let's say height and style of play. Brees doesn't run and IIRC Jurgenson was a statue.

    @hoorta said:

    Let's say height and style of play. Brees doesn't run and IIRC Jurgenson was a statue.

    For Manziel, if you are to try to compare him to someone who was of the same height and style of play....someone that we all know about, then you would have to go pretty much only with....Tarkenton, Flutie, Russell Wilson.

    ....but, on the other hand.....Cuozzo and Dorow may also fit the mold as well. If JF turns into a turd, that will be his company, no? In 20 years he would find himself in the land of the unknown along with Steve Pisarkewisz and Browning Nagle.