Skip to content

Current WR Corps

The Browns Board
26 14 1.6k
  • I have read some good things about Jonathan Krause. He measured in shorter than what was expected, but he also ran a 4.34 40. He returned kicks and was a productive WR across from Jordan Matthews. He could be our udfa steal like Kearse from Seattle

  • I have read some good things about Jonathan Krause. He measured in shorter than what was expected, but he also ran a 4.34 40. He returned kicks and was a productive WR across from Jordan Matthews. He could be our udfa steal like Kearse from Seattle

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I have read some good things about Jonathan Krause. He measured in shorter than what was expected, but he also ran a 4.34 40. He returned kicks and was a productive WR across from Jordan Matthews. He could be our udfa steal like Kearse from Seattle

    I'd just counter that by saying Jones is taller, just as fast and athletic, and was the #1 WR on his team. I don't know why, all of a sudden, I am reading people be all over Krause in comparison to Jones. I think it has to do with the guys from dawgsbynature ding a quick overview of every prospect and they put Krauses pro day stats in a nice big twitter feed box while they put Jone's pro day stats just in the little paragraph they did on him.

    Which isn't to say I don't find Krause interesting. Apparently the Browns gave him a $10,000 signing bonus, so they must see something in him that they like.

  • Pretty sure Krause is 5'11/6' where as Jones is 5'9. Jones is also only 180 lbs compared Krauses 215.

    I like Jones but his size makes him a slot receiver and we just signed Hawkins for that. I like his potential, but I think Krause is a better prospect for us

  • @mike-h said:

    Chandler Jones beats out Josh Cooper for a roster spot. I've been high on him since January, don't see any scenario where he doesnt at least make the practice squad.

    THIS.

    Except I'd go one step further. Chandler Jones can end up being a big contributor right away. Good scouting report I found on him. He wasn't at the Combine, so people are sleeping on him a bit.

    He played a lot at SJSU. He's not raw as some will assume.

    Yeah, we have serious WR issues right now, but this kid is part of the good news. Check him out.

    Now we just need to teach Little how to catch. Yeah right.

  • Lets hope Charles Johnson can turn his freakish athletisicm into productivity. Hell hes at least got potential as a 2. Any of you that do actual scouting know anything about him?

    @jcam222 said:

    Lets hope Charles Johnson can turn his freakish athletisicm into productivity. Hell hes at least got potential as a 2. Any of you that do actual scouting know anything about him?

    Been reading into him a bit, but not much to say...

    Born and raised in Kentucky, he originally committed to Louisville coming out of HS, but chose to go to Eastern Kentucky. He was suspended from there after one season, for "immature things," and went to Antelope Valley Community College in California (right?).

    He took a year off football, then decided he wanted to play again and tried to go to Kentucky or any Division I school, but realized he would only get 1 year of eligibility. D-II would give him 2 more years. He "googled" D-II football and found Grand Valley State as being one of the top choices, so he enrolled there, and was able to make it on the football team very easily.

    At 6'2" 215, he ran a 4.38 40 at his pro-day in 2013 after not being invited to the combine, and got himself recognized as a potential draftee. Grand Valley coaching staff, as well as their Quarterback, have nothing but praise for his ability to get open, his speed and quickness, and his demeanor as a person. If you can get any tape on him, he shows great ball skills and playmaking ability.

    His measurables compare great with some of the top picks at WR, at his size:

    Julio Jones - 6'2" 220lbs 4.34 40-time, 17 reps, 38.5 vert, 11'3" broad, 4.25 shuttle, 6.66 3-cone drill

    Dez Bryant - 6'2" 224lbs 4.52 40-time, 14 reps, 38 vert, 11'1" broad, 4.46 shuttle, 7.10 3-cone drill

    Charles Johnson - 6'2" 215lbs, 4.38 40-time, 14 reps, 39.5 vert, 11'1" broad, 4.31 shuttle, 7.04 3-cone drill

    Andre Johnson - 6'3" 230lbs, 4.41 40-time, didn't do, 41 vert, 10'9" broad, 4.10 shuttle, didn't do 3-cone drill

    It'll be interesting to see what he does when he gets a shot this year. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and perform "on the field", the way he measures up "off the field."

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Here's my questions. With so many new WR's coming into the league, do you think there will be a lot of them on the waiver wire (both new and old) as we get closer to game 1?

    And will staff will go for one or more of the free agents still out there?

    There are going to be MANY names on the waiver wire come roster cut downs. That not only includes veterans, but even late round draft picks from teams that over drafted at the positions (The Packers come to mind).

    While I do not see him as the guy to carry the load, the one name on the OP's lists that keeps popping out at me is Benjamin. Hopefully three's a charm when it comes to the staff figuring out how to use him.

    Under Shurmur it seemed like Travis was sent on fly patterns almost exclusively... with little success.

    Under Norv they started hooking and even slanting him to good effect early on, and then he disappeared from the offense entirely the four games prior to the Punt return that ended his season.

    I hope to see Shanny not only mixing up Travis' route assignments, but also including some bubble-screens and other quick hitch plays to try to get him some broken field opportunities.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    There are going to be MANY names on the waiver wire come roster cut downs. That not only includes veterans, but even late round draft picks from teams that over drafted at the positions (The Packers come to mind).

    Seahawks and Eagles as well... both drafted 2 WRs and already had good, if not glamorous, depth at the position.