Skip to content

Bad Vibes on Mangini

The Browns Board
50 20 3.8k
  • The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

  • @roy.e.munson said:

    Hey smart Guy... who was the last OSU player we drafted....

    Then Shut up!

    And BTW who was the MVP of the SUper bowl!!!!!!!!!!!???????

    It took 3 Ohio boys to win it all ....

    James Harrison Kent State

    Big Ben Miami of Ohio

    Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes THE Ohio State University

    Thats a far cry from Charlie Frye Akron Zip

    @roy.e.munson said:

    And BTW who was the MVP of the SUper bowl!!!!!!!!!!!???????

    It took 3 Ohio boys to win it all ....

    James Harrison Kent State

    Big Ben Miami of Ohio

    Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes THE Ohio State University

    Thats a far cry from Charlie Frye Akron Zip

    Those guys were drafted because of talent. Not who or where they played in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Santonio hasn't been worth the first round pick he was and probably never will be. Put together a nice game last week though. Ben did a great job making plays and waiting for him to get open.

  • The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

    The drafting of Frye was never a reach. There was talk that year that GB might take him at the back end of round one, had Rogers not fallen all the way to them. Scouts and "experts" had Frye going any where from rd 1-3. After his senior bowl showing, people thought he could play (and still might down the road).

    Did the Browns PR and Phil play up the local boy thing to the fans? Of course. But don't fool your self thinking CLE reached with that pick or that was the only reason they drafted him.

  • Zombo said:

    So far we've had a Patriots fan, a Steeler fan and a disgruntled entertainment writer posing as a sportswriter tell us what "bad vibes" Mangini has.

    Everything that has come from the mainstream has been nothing but positive, from what I've read.

    Is he a dick? Yes. Do we need a dick? Yes. Is he going to crap all over our history and alienate the Browns family? No.

    He's going to coach football. He's the man for the job. Seems like a good guy with a no-nonsense approach to coaching and a talent for defensive innovation.

    What was the problem again?

    Zombo

    Ding Ding Ding!

  • @roy.e.munson said:

    And BTW who was the MVP of the SUper bowl!!!!!!!!!!!???????

    It took 3 Ohio boys to win it all ....

    James Harrison Kent State

    Big Ben Miami of Ohio

    Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes THE Ohio State University

    Thats a far cry from Charlie Frye Akron Zip

    Those guys were drafted because of talent. Not who or where they played in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Santonio hasn't been worth the first round pick he was and probably never will be. Put together a nice game last week though. Ben did a great job making plays and waiting for him to get open.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    Those guys were drafted because of talent. Not who or where they played in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Santonio hasn't been worth the first round pick he was and probably never will be. Put together a nice game last week though. Ben did a great job making plays and waiting for him to get open.

    James Harrison wasn't even drafted and cut numerous times by PIT his first few years. He was a practice squad player and took a lot of time to develop.

  • @onefellswoop7 said:

    The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

    The drafting of Frye was never a reach. There was talk that year that GB might take him at the back end of round one, had Rogers not fallen all the way to them. Scouts and "experts" had Frye going any where from rd 1-3. After his senior bowl showing, people thought he could play (and still might down the road).

    Did the Browns PR and Phil play up the local boy thing to the fans? Of course. But don't fool your self thinking CLE reached with that pick or that was the only reason they drafted him.

    Masters said:

    The drafting of Frye was never a reach. There was talk that year that GB might take him at the back end of round one, had Rogers not fallen all the way to them. Scouts and "experts" had Frye going any where from rd 1-3. After his senior bowl showing, people thought he could play (and still might down the road).

    Did the Browns PR and Phil play up the local boy thing to the fans? Of course. But don't fool your self thinking CLE reached with that pick or that was the only reason they drafted him.

    Frye was terrible from day one. He was the extra QB that the draft wanted to believe was going to be available. Every year there ends up being a few 2-4 fourth round QBs that get build up because teams need QBs. The reach for this developmental guys because QBs are hard to find. The diamond in the rough approach. He was that guy from day one. I rooted for the guy but never expected to seem any more than I did. I saw him play in college many times...there was nothing there to expect otherwise. Sorry.

  • @onefellswoop7 said:

    Those guys were drafted because of talent. Not who or where they played in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Santonio hasn't been worth the first round pick he was and probably never will be. Put together a nice game last week though. Ben did a great job making plays and waiting for him to get open.

    James Harrison wasn't even drafted and cut numerous times by PIT his first few years. He was a practice squad player and took a lot of time to develop.

    Masters said:

    James Harrison wasn't even drafted and cut numerous times by PIT his first few years. He was a practice squad player and took a lot of time to develop.

    Same thing. PIT turns undrafted guys into stars. They have the front office to find these guys and the coaches to develop them. They have the fortune to take guys and rip the true potential out of them. So, they saw enough of him to sign him as a UDFA and to keep him going and let him develop.

  • Back to the original argument.

    Zombo pointed out that all this "disfunction" is coming from elsewhere. We need to focus on what our players say and feel. So far guys like Cribbs and Jackson have came out to back him up. There has been no reason to be believe there are "bad vibes" or anything.

  • The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

    I guess I'm missing your point here. Frye went in the 3rd round and was projected as high as the first. Zastudil is from Bay Village and has been a solid punter for us. Bentley was the glue to the line for years from St. Ignatius and OSU but got hurt and ended his career. JJ is from Lake Catholic and PSU who had a good year and also seems to have had his career shortened. Cribbs is from Kent State, I guess that was stupid too.

    Most fans that I know want particular Buckeyes because they're good, not just because they went to OSU. I would hardly call them idiots unless you fall in line with some of the Buckeye haters on here, of which there are a few diehard haters.

    Actually, Savage brought a much needed local pride thing back here that previous regimes absolutely ignored. Butchie only went after guys he either recruited or played against or were from the south for the most part, almost completely ignoring local products. The Sanders draft was like some sort of token pick when Buckeye fans could have told him he sucked.

    It's like anything else, if your team gets guys you're already familiar with it adds a little to the experience, but it certainly doesn't mean I would want a team full of nothing but local products just to have it. By the same token, I couldn't stand it when Santonio Holmes went to Pitt, for I knew what it probably meant. If you don't think he was worth a late first rounder on that team, I'm not sure what else you want.

  • Agree Riffer! Of course Butch passed up a ton of guys he recruited and for the love of god I'll never understand why (such as Portis). He seemed more interested in guys he tried to get to the U that turned him down.

  • I think the local flavor thing is my problem. No, I don't like OSU. But, I don't dislike them either. I don't think fans shouldn't need any extra reason to watch their NFL team. Being local means nothing to me. I want football players, good ones. JJ and Zastudil were good pickups. The local flavor also appealed to the crowd. Why? Who cares? Sure it is nit picking but I liek the idea that a coach ignores the local media and fans to extent. Don;t try to please me by signing guys that have local ties. If they do have local ties and you signed them because of their abilities...don't play it to the media. Build a football team to win...nothing else.

  • I think the local flavor thing is my problem. No, I don't like OSU. But, I don't dislike them either. I don't think fans shouldn't need any extra reason to watch their NFL team. Being local means nothing to me. I want football players, good ones. JJ and Zastudil were good pickups. The local flavor also appealed to the crowd. Why? Who cares? Sure it is nit picking but I liek the idea that a coach ignores the local media and fans to extent. Don;t try to please me by signing guys that have local ties. If they do have local ties and you signed them because of their abilities...don't play it to the media. Build a football team to win...nothing else.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    I think the local flavor thing is my problem. No, I don't like OSU. But, I don't dislike them either. I don't think fans shouldn't need any extra reason to watch their NFL team. Being local means nothing to me. I want football players, good ones. JJ and Zastudil were good pickups. The local flavor also appealed to the crowd. Why? Who cares? Sure it is nit picking but I liek the idea that a coach ignores the local media and fans to extent. Don;t try to please me by signing guys that have local ties. If they do have local ties and you signed them because of their abilities...don't play it to the media. Build a football team to win...nothing else.

    There is a crux there. Any PR department (and media) for any team is gonna key in on local player(s) who gets to join the local team. It makes for nice stories and press for the team. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be good at their jobs (at the end of the day teams are selling a product). I really don't think CLE or any team really signs or drafts a player just as a PR move. It's more we like this guy, and as an added bonus, we can get some PR and extra press out of it.

  • Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

    Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

  • @onefellswoop7 said:

    I think the local flavor thing is my problem. No, I don't like OSU. But, I don't dislike them either. I don't think fans shouldn't need any extra reason to watch their NFL team. Being local means nothing to me. I want football players, good ones. JJ and Zastudil were good pickups. The local flavor also appealed to the crowd. Why? Who cares? Sure it is nit picking but I liek the idea that a coach ignores the local media and fans to extent. Don;t try to please me by signing guys that have local ties. If they do have local ties and you signed them because of their abilities...don't play it to the media. Build a football team to win...nothing else.

    There is a crux there. Any PR department (and media) for any team is gonna key in on local player(s) who gets to join the local team. It makes for nice stories and press for the team. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be good at their jobs (at the end of the day teams are selling a product). I really don't think CLE or any team really signs or drafts a player just as a PR move. It's more we like this guy, and as an added bonus, we can get some PR and extra press out of it.

    Masters said:

    There is a crux there. Any PR department (and media) for any team is gonna key in on local player(s) who gets to join the local team. It makes for nice stories and press for the team. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be good at their jobs (at the end of the day teams are selling a product). I really don't think CLE or any team really signs or drafts a player just as a PR move. It's more we like this guy, and as an added bonus, we can get some PR and extra press out of it.

    Absolutely. Plus, Cleveland has always been a city with a serious chip on its shoulder about hometown pride dating back a long ways.

    The "Mistake on the Lake", the river burning, all the colossal collapses by the sports teams, Kucinich bankrupting the city, etc. etc.

    People from NE Ohio love to root for their own, which is not a bad thing as long as the guys can play. Also, local products go way back to Paul Brown and the glory years.

    It's also what makes it so sickening to see all the bandwagonning Pittspuke pussies in this area now. Meanwhile, they're winning with a bunch of our own like always.

  • Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

    Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

    Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

    When talking OSU, ofte times its because many of those fans only follow OSU, when following college. Throw in that OSU is a highly ranked football program every year. They don't know any better, because they don't know who else is out there.

    I have been all over, and follow sports in the papers in many different cities. Every city/team does it and has stories about the local guy on the team. Their fans do the same. Just not so loudly. But fans of the Browns or even Ohio sports are a bit of a different breed. Often a bit more die hard and complain a bit more. But when on a pro level the teams haven't won a championship in a long time, you'll have that.

    It just doesn't always get the national media attention CLE has spun out of theirs. In some ways, you have to give CLE's PR department props for being able to turn it national instead of just local.

    There are always fans everywhere that over exagurate players skills in one direction or another. From who they want drafted because of where he played, to talking bad about great players (see how some Cavs fans go overboard bagging on Lebron).

  • Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

    Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

    Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

    Again, local talent was virtually ignored until Savage got here. Did it pay off to ignore all that talent from 99 to 05?

    Kosar was also a guy who said screw it I'm going to Cleveland and made it happen. This is not a bad thing. There are worse goings on than local fans enjoying their own when good enough. I don't remember everybody being in love with Fraser while he played here, and nothing was expected of him.

  • Frye was part of the reason this "hometown hero" thing got on my nerves. Let's draft local guys that love the browns or went to OSU!!! YAY. Good thing about Mangini...he couldn't care less about OSU or local flavor. Savage tried too hard to play on that at times.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    Frye was part of the reason this "hometown hero" thing got on my nerves. Let's draft local guys that love the browns or went to OSU!!! YAY. Good thing about Mangini...he couldn't care less about OSU or local flavor. Savage tried too hard to play on that at times.

    LOL If Savage was worried about OSU fans he wouldn't have drafted Braylon. I don't have a problem with Braylon being drafted but he certainly wasn't the first choice of OSU fans. I hope they have gotten over who he played for and want him to be a great player for the Browns

    And local flavor brought Josh Cribbs to Cleveland, not a bad deal. He did brings lots of local guys in for tryouts but no harm done in that.

  • I heard James Gandolfini thinks Mangini is a douche because on the episode where Mangini ate in the same restaurant as Tony Soprano he never even talked to him.

    This guy has Frank Kush written all over him.

    @riffer-x said:

    I heard James Gandolfini thinks Mangini is a douche because on the episode where Mangini ate in the same restaurant as Tony Soprano he never even talked to him.

    This guy has Frank Kush written all over him.

    Dear Lord Russ I havent heard that name in years...He was a big superstitiouse dufus...then I think Ron Meyer (another dufus)follwed after...If Mangina wins Im ok with it...But he better watch...be too Belichickian It not only could cost Him His Job...but another opprtunity to coach elsewhere may be damaged............

  • another post deleted for providing factual data............nice............HEIL!

    and to think I started this thread and it comes to deleting my second post............as non controversial as it was...........Brownstown here is a pig sty

  • HEIL SATN......he of knife twisting in back......deleting all da correctamundo data or

    sumtin.........dis is too funny........me bring acumen and numbers......hitler be slithering away

    all da ich's posts often and regular..........wake up Brownstown and stop pissing on da

    message an appreciate da messenger.........whatever