TEAM AMERICA: World Cup
-
Original Title: Arguably The Most Important Sporting Event In The World Starts Next Week
(arguably between the Olympics and the World Cup)
Who else is pumped for the World Cup? The fact that it is in a manageable time zone is even better.
Any predictions for the event? For the US team? For another team?
I think we pull it out of our ass and get out of the group stage. I think we get lucky against Portugal.
new Beats commercial
Edit: Oh shit my bad. This probably has to go to the Barbershop
Edit 2: Title changed by Taco's suggestion. Also, I agree with him that this could hang out on the main board at least until the USA is out of it
-
1) I would like to make a motion to change the title of this thread to Team America.
2) This thread should NOT be moved. I don't care if you dislike soccer, this is still a US national team taking part in the biggest single sport competition on this planet. Worst case show your pride in our country.
3) We got dicked in our group.
4) If Ronaldo plays for Portugal, which I'm sure he will, we damn well better take him out. For those that are unfamiliar with his antics, imagine a cross between Michael Jackson and A-Rod off the field with the talent of LeBron plus the flopping, but Ronaldo's flopping makes LeBron seem like a badass.
5) I wish we would've been grouped with Iran and Russia. It would've such a fun group.
6) I hope France implodes again this time around.
As for who will win, I gotta go with the home team in Brazil unless we can miraculously make it out of our group. If we can pull that off, we can win the whole damn thing.
-
1) Done
2) I agree
I would bet on Brazil as well.
There may be those on here that hate soccer and call it gay, but a portion of those idiots are also the "Rah rah, USA #1 at everything crowd'" For that reason this thread should stay and they can support their country.

-
-
Rah Rah England #1 at EVERYTHING!!!
You guys got a tough group. Smart money is on you not making it out, unfortunately, though if Ronaldo's latest injury is serious enough to keep him out of your game then they're there for the taking.
Manageable time zone?

-
move the tread. This the Football thread, not gay ass soccer.
-
i'll watch just to see if a goalie gets shot for missing a block on a shot that wins the game or if someone gets hit in the head with a molotov cocktail.
other than that the shit is boring as hell.
rather watch golf.
-
i'll watch just to see if a goalie gets shot for missing a block on a shot that wins the game or if someone gets hit in the head with a molotov cocktail.
other than that the shit is boring as hell.
rather watch golf.
-
Soccer is as soccer does.
-
Wow... this got moved.
I mean, I could have guessed, based on the comments from our posters in the stone age... but damn.
I guess that means 17 more JF threads are more important than our country
-
Wow... this got moved.
I mean, I could have guessed, based on the comments from our posters in the stone age... but damn.
I guess that means 17 more JF threads are more important than our country
Wow... this got moved.
I mean, I could have guessed, based on the comments from our posters in the stone age... but damn.
I guess that means 17 more JF threads are more important than our country
It got moved because the other forum is, after all, called The Browns Forum....and at least it is a football forum. This is not a football topic. I have gotten things moved off the Browns forum that were not football topics and it doesnt bother me.
-
Soccer is gay.
-
http://grantland.com/features/how-to-watch-the-world-cup-like-a-true-soccer-nerd/
For those of you not real familiar with the game. It's a good read.
-
Men's team plays Nigeria tonight at 6 on ESPN
-
Soccer is so gay even the French were able to win the World Cup
-
Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.
I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).
I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.
-
Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.
I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).
I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.
Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.
I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).
I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.
Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.
Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.
-
Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.
I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).
I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.
Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.
Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.
Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.
Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.
Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.
Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)
-
Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.
I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).
I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.
Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.
Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login