Skip to content

TEAM AMERICA: World Cup

Barber Shop Talk
252 20 8.2k
  • @gftchris said:

    Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @the-gipper said:

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #22

    @gftchris said:

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

    I don't care what any soccer player/fan thinks....I personally would rather see a Gold Medal than a WC world cup. (of course, maybe the fact that the US has no real shot at it is a factor).

    And, since as you say the Olympic tournament is nothing but a youth tournament, (I did not know that) I propose that they eliminate soccer as an Olympic Sport. The IOCs reasoning for taking baseball out of the Olympics is because the very best baseball players could not participate due to the regular baseball season conflicting with the baseball schedule. The same should apply to soccer as well. If soccer would send its best to the Olympics, then that tournament, in my mind, would supersede the WC.

    Oh, by the way schmekelheads, trying to put me down because you say I don't know about certain esoteric aspects of the game of soccer, or how they run their tournament is NOT, to me a criticism at all. In fact, it is somewhat a badge of honor. It is like criticizing me for not knowing the nuances concerning the methods of cooking and flavoring Liver and Onions. I don't care because I don't like it that well. Bottom line, you can put lipstick on a pig...it is still a pig.

    I will watch some soccer, expecially games involving the US. I will probably hope that some upstart wins. I think it would be boring as fuck to have Brazil win the tournament. The USA won't....so how about England. For your sake gft I will be all behind the Brits winning it (though I guess it is not "the Brits"....since "Brits" includes the Scotch and Welsh no?).

    Or how about Uruguay?

    Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass for Brazilian pride for Uruguay to win.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

  • Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @gftchris said:

    Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    I understand. My point is that somehow YOU imply that because I don't know all these esoteric nuances about your sport that I am somehow disgualified from commenting on it.

    I mean, do you know what a double play is? hit and run? double switch? Sacrifice? Phantom tag? Slurve? Balk? OPS?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #25

    A lot of the things you don't seem to know aren't tiny little nuances in the game. Some of them seem important enough to devalue your opinion as far as how you rate the game and how you would want it changed.

  • Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gftchris said:

    Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    He'd fit in on the Political Board, lol

  • A lot of the things you don't seem to know aren't tiny little nuances in the game. Some of them seem important enough to devalue your opinion as far as how you rate the game and how you would want it changed.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mld-woody said:

    A lot of the things you don't seem to know aren't tiny little nuances in the game.

    There is nothing about soccer that isn't a "little nuance".

    Some of them seem important enough to devalue your opinion as far as how you rate the game and how you would want it changed.

    The game sucks. So devalue that opinion.

    But it migh suck less if they adopted some of my suggestions.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #28
    With the 23rd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select... Devin Funchess, Wide Receiver, Michigan

    I might have dated his Grandma back in the late 60's or early 70's

  • With the 23rd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select... Devin Funchess, Wide Receiver, Michigan

    I might have dated his Grandma back in the late 60's or early 70's

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    I might have dated his Grandma back in the late 60's or early 70's

    Lol what? If there was a "most random post" award, you win. Maybe you're his grandpa?

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #30
  • @gftchris said:

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

    I don't care what any soccer player/fan thinks....I personally would rather see a Gold Medal than a WC world cup. (of course, maybe the fact that the US has no real shot at it is a factor).

    And, since as you say the Olympic tournament is nothing but a youth tournament, (I did not know that) I propose that they eliminate soccer as an Olympic Sport. The IOCs reasoning for taking baseball out of the Olympics is because the very best baseball players could not participate due to the regular baseball season conflicting with the baseball schedule. The same should apply to soccer as well. If soccer would send its best to the Olympics, then that tournament, in my mind, would supersede the WC.

    Oh, by the way schmekelheads, trying to put me down because you say I don't know about certain esoteric aspects of the game of soccer, or how they run their tournament is NOT, to me a criticism at all. In fact, it is somewhat a badge of honor. It is like criticizing me for not knowing the nuances concerning the methods of cooking and flavoring Liver and Onions. I don't care because I don't like it that well. Bottom line, you can put lipstick on a pig...it is still a pig.

    I will watch some soccer, expecially games involving the US. I will probably hope that some upstart wins. I think it would be boring as fuck to have Brazil win the tournament. The USA won't....so how about England. For your sake gft I will be all behind the Brits winning it (though I guess it is not "the Brits"....since "Brits" includes the Scotch and Welsh no?).

    Or how about Uruguay?

    Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass for Brazilian pride for Uruguay to win.

    VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
    #31

    @the-gipper said:

    Or how about Uruguay?

    Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass for Brazilian pride for Uruguay to win.

    IIRC, Uruguay had a deep run last WC, final four I think. Forlan was a beast.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Or how about Uruguay?

    Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass for Brazilian pride for Uruguay to win.

    IIRC, Uruguay had a deep run last WC, final four I think. Forlan was a beast.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @vaportrail said:

    IIRC, Uruguay had a deep run last WC, final four I think. Forlan was a beast.

    They beat Ghana on penalties in a very controversial match. Luis Suarez stopped a goal using his hand in the last minute. Penalty, red card, up steps Asamoah Gyan, who sends the ball over. Extra time over, penalty shoot out, which Uruguay win. Everyone condemned Suarez, shortly before everyone said they'd do exactly the same if they were in that position.

  • admin 0A admin 0 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Here at The Browns Board, we have looked at the ever-evolving demographics and realized it is time to embrace soccer, and, specifically, the World Cup.

    So we have set up a discussion room where you can discuss all of the ins and outs of exciting World Cup play and Soccer News.

    Just click HERE

    Admin.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    We were doing OK over on the Barber Shop.

  • Nuckin FutzN Nuckin Futz wrote on last edited by Nuckin Futz
    #35

    Uh, OK. Wait for me.... Keep waiting....keep waiting....I hate fuckin soccer!

  • @vaportrail said:

    IIRC, Uruguay had a deep run last WC, final four I think. Forlan was a beast.

    They beat Ghana on penalties in a very controversial match. Luis Suarez stopped a goal using his hand in the last minute. Penalty, red card, up steps Asamoah Gyan, who sends the ball over. Extra time over, penalty shoot out, which Uruguay win. Everyone condemned Suarez, shortly before everyone said they'd do exactly the same if they were in that position.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @gftchris said:

    They beat Ghana on penalties in a very controversial match. Luis Suarez stopped a goal using his hand in the last minute. Penalty, red card, up steps Asamoah Gyan, who sends the ball over. Extra time over, penalty shoot out, which Uruguay win. Everyone condemned Suarez, shortly before everyone said they'd do exactly the same if they were in that position.

    OK, but answer honestly....what kind of kick in the ass would it be for Uruguay to win on Brazil soil? Or perhaps better yet: Argentina. What would be more embarassing?

  • @vaportrail said:

    IIRC, Uruguay had a deep run last WC, final four I think. Forlan was a beast.

    They beat Ghana on penalties in a very controversial match. Luis Suarez stopped a goal using his hand in the last minute. Penalty, red card, up steps Asamoah Gyan, who sends the ball over. Extra time over, penalty shoot out, which Uruguay win. Everyone condemned Suarez, shortly before everyone said they'd do exactly the same if they were in that position.

    VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @gftchris said:

    They beat Ghana on penalties in a very controversial match. Luis Suarez stopped a goal using his hand in the last minute. Penalty, red card, up steps Asamoah Gyan, who sends the ball over. Extra time over, penalty shoot out, which Uruguay win. Everyone condemned Suarez, shortly before everyone said they'd do exactly the same if they were in that position.

    Ohhhh, now I remember. Well, maybe he should have made the PK.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #38

    OK you soccer knuckleheads....handicap this weekends games. Who wins:

    Today:

    Brazil vs. Croatia

    Friday:

    Mexico vs. Cameroon

    Spain vs. Netherlands

    Chile vs. Australia

    Saturday:

    Columbia v. Greece

    Uruguay v. Costa Rica

    England vs. Italy

    Ivory Coast vs. Japan

    Sunday:

    Switzerland vs. Ecuador

    France vs. Honduras

    Argentina vs. Bosnia

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #39

    Here are the odds:

    Brazil 11/4

    Argentina 4/1

    Germany 6/1

    Spain 6/1

    Belgium 20/1

    Colombia 33/1

    France 22/1

    Italy 22/1

    Uruguay 25/1

    Holland 22/1

    England 25/1

    Netherlands 25/1

    Portugal 25/1

    Chile 40/1

    Russia 100/1

    Switzerland 125/1

    Mexico 125/1

    USA 100/1

    Ecuador 150/1

    Japan 150/1

    Ivory Coast 125/1

    Croatia 150/1

    Bosnia-Herzegovina 150/1

    Ghana 200/1

    Greece 200/1

    Nigeria 250/1

    Australia 500/1

    South Korea 300/1

    Cameroon 500/1

    Algeria 1000/1

    Costa Rica 1000/1

    Honduras 1500/1

    Iran 1500/1

    I took this from a sport betting site....my only confusion is that they have Holland at 22-1 and The Netherlands at 25-1....WTF?

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
    #40

    22': Holy hell, Croatia is playing lights out.

    FT: Croatia got robbed.