The Current Keepers & Needs Defensively
-
On Defense, here's my opinion of the peeps we should keeps...
Front 7:
Shaun Rogers (Take a bow but get back to work big fella!)
Robaire Smith (What an excellent surprise in 2007 - hope he's heeled to help us)
Corey Williams (handcuffed by cap BUT he played injured they tell me so we'll see how he does)
Louis Leonard (Thanks for the name correction DTBH. He needs to stop jumping offsides though)
Shaun Smith (when he kept his yap closed in 2007 - he played some good ball)
Alex Hall (There's Hall & Oats and there's Haulin Ass - this guy is Hall'n Ass)
Kam Wimbley (If A2 + B2 = C2, then 11 rookie sacks + good coaching = promising future)
D'Qwell Jackson (Mangini likes the kid, I've seen improvement and Shep tells me to give him a chance. Will do)
Leon Williams (I see desire, speed and high intensity which means we have STs and 3rd down packages for him)
Beau Bell (Wouldn't it be nice if this kid is a gem? Meanwhile he doesn't cost us squat)
D-backs:
Davon Holly (In 07 we didn't have a MORE underrated player. Stays on the hip, uses sidelines well and closes great)
Eric Wright (My first impression said overrated. My remaining impression is my first impression was dumb!)
Brandon McDonald (LOVE this kid regardless of the night he had vrs Denver. Who doesn't use mulligans here?)
Sean Jones (HOPE he's healthy again because he was our defensive MVP the year we went 10-6 IMHO)
Brodney Pool (This kid has shown temporary flashes of excellence between injuries - but we need him to step up)
Mike Adams (THANK YOU for stepping up and filling in admirably at times)
Nick Sorenson (Proved to be nice depth and the reason he's remained in the league is because he's a sick basterd on STs. This former college QB seems pretty good at knwing what to expect and look for)
The Hear Me Outs (if they aren't signed or won't be - disregard):
Willie McGinest (If he's on fumes at age 40, he'd certainly make a nice coach the players can relate to with this 3-4)
Antwaan Peek (If he's 100% for a change, he's worth competition value and rotation depth)
Kris Griffin (Not even sure if he's still here but he has tons of experience and is a good STer)
If you didn't see somebody's name like Rubin or Davis - it's because they're good for teams willing the be happy with 4-12 football. If you disagree, re-watch the Buffalo game for either guy and get back to me. There's a place in this league for those kinds of players. It's a place content with being 4-12 - if we're still that place, they'll remain here. If not, we've moved onto higher expectations. I'm sure I forgot a couple people too.
Needs:
Impact LBer (IMO, we need a starter and I'm not picky between Rey or Curry)
Safety Depth (There should be some mid round gems available)
Dline Depth (could we see a curve ball in rd 1 with Raji? Meaning we could also move Rogers around some - especially if Shaun Smith remains distracted and Robaire isn't 100%? If Rogers ever gets hurt - stick a fork in us folks. Look how bad we are the 50% of the time he's on the sidelines getting oxygen. It would be cool to move Shaun next to Wimbley with Raji inside. That's got some matchup intrigue upfront and our LBers would LOVE it!)
Corner Depth (I love finding corners mid to late rounds. No need to blow a high pick on this position)
Anyway, thanks for reading! I appreciate any suggestions or tweakages people can offer.
- Tom F.
Flugs, I likje reading your comments, put reading this post you make this defense sound better than it really is
for my 2 cents.
Shaun Rogers and D'Qwell Jackson are the only 2 guys on this defense that I would like to see starting and getting regular playing time this season.
IMO Eric Wright did not have a very good year and its obvious to me that we need a number 1 corner and Wright and McDonald are not the answer as a #1 CB, McDonald IMO should be a Nickle back ONLY playing a slot receiver and not used on the outside, I really hope the Browns would consider moving Eric Wright to free safety, think Wright could be a star at the free safety position. Holly is a question mark coming off major knee surgery and the remaining DB's don't really excite me.
Saftey position needs upgraded, Pool does not have the instincts required to be a free safety, see above where I believe Eric Wright would be a very good FS, Sean Jones wants big money and Jones can't cover so IMO he is a one dimmensional safety who can play in the box to stop the run but is a liability in the passing game, and Adams is a good nickle back and specials team player, but we need to replace both safeties and aquire more depth.
LB's, D'Qwell is the best we have and Alex Hall showed flashes early but this guy is not ready to move in as a starter IMO, Leon Williams can go along with Andra Davis and old man McGinest and after 3 seasons I just don't see Wimbley being anything but a guy with one pass rush move whom the league has figured out, I think its time to say in this 3-4 defense that Wimbley is a BUST and lets move on, are we supposed to let another season go by to see if a new coach can turn Wimbley around, I believe we all know the answer and is hoping something changes with Wimbley but thats been a problem with the new Browns sticking with a guy to long when he has showed you he is not the player you thought he was when you drafted him. guys like Kris Griffin is a specials team player and Peek is always injured so we need many new bodies at LB, and the word is Crennell after looking at film on Beau Bell did not think he could play in the NFL, but lets at least put the guy on the field and find out if he can play or not, Crennell did not trust playing young guys
unless he was forced to.
We must get more athletic on the DL, we need athletic defensive ends, Crennell's 3-4 using tackles to play DE won't cut it, I also believe though Corey Williams was hurt and it affected his play I would attempt to move Williams to a 4-3 team looking for a tackle, all guys can't adjust to moving inside from tackle and playing end in a 3-4 and I feel Williams is that type of player and also he does not have the speed we need from the DE position and the other guys on the DL are all backups including Robaire Smith who someone mentioned is just journeyman.
Flugs, I likje reading your comments, put reading this post you make this defense sound better than it really is
for my 2 cents.
Shaun Rogers and D'Qwell Jackson are the only 2 guys on this defense that I would like to see starting and getting regular playing time this season.
IMO Eric Wright did not have a very good year and its obvious to me that we need a number 1 corner and Wright and McDonald are not the answer as a #1 CB, McDonald IMO should be a Nickle back ONLY playing a slot receiver and not used on the outside, I really hope the Browns would consider moving Eric Wright to free safety, think Wright could be a star at the free safety position. Holly is a question mark coming off major knee surgery and the remaining DB's don't really excite me.
Thanks for the feedback SONY. I'm prioritizing what we need when I look at the D.
When there was a chance Taylor Mays was coming out I had him at #1 for about 1-2 weeks. Now, I'm right back to wanting us taking a LBer with our first pick on defense.
As for the secondary and this REALLY matters more than anyone is willing to admit. IF we had a better pass rush, our corners are fine. I was a BIG Davon Holly fan the year before so if he's 100% - I'm very comfortable. Just remember the year we were fresh off of 5-27 football, we put Jamir Miller on the edge and received a Pro Bowl Pass Rush that enabled our defense to lead the AFC in INTs with an extremely average bunch of corners by the names of Corey Fuller, Daylon McCutcheon and rookie Anthony Henry (who's ALWAYS getting burned as a starter). One of our Safeties was plucked off the unemployment line by the name of Devin Bush (to replace Percy Ellsworth) and Earl Little. Again, we LED the conference with that bunch. And the REALITY is that Jamir Miller was actually gearing up to be in a 3 point stance heading into that season. He was a problem-solve when Courtney Brown went down to injury again.
Moral of the story - if we add 1 X-factor into the front 7, it's the cause and effect we want. That's what Jamir Miller with 1 hand down was to a 5-27 football team. I know he played standing up the year before 2001 BUT he was the guy Courtney Brown never could become for us from that sic em and sack em spot.
Aloy sold me on Curry. It would be nice if we could do with our OLBers what Pitt does with their's. It looks to me like there isn't just 1 SAM between their 2 guys or 1 Elephant. Isn't that why they both had double digit sacks? It was COOL to see Wimbley intercept a pass vrs Buffalo. I'm not writing him off just yet. Like Jamir showed me - the RIGHT role for the guy might be found with a coach with a more open mind.
I don't think I made our dline sound like I was extremely comfortable with them. I'm not at all. Nobody was more vocal about the exchange value we got from Williams than me; BUT if he truely played with a seperated/injured shoulder I can cut him a little more slack than I did. Losing Robaire hurt us and Shaun Smith got really inexplicably weird. We need more than just Rogers though.
When we only have 4 draft picks - I feel like I HAVE to prioritize what we need most. It's front 7 all the way with me. We also need depth in the secondary so we might look for someone late in the draft or other means. There's free agency for some needs too.
- Tom F.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login