Skip to content

Preseason Game Recap Week 4

The Browns Board
26 15 1.1k
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Actually that's a very fair comparison. I myself would be in favor of letting Gray go, having Oby as our H back so we can develop this young man. Or having Lewis listed on roster as a WR since Gordon is now out.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #22

    Defense first...

    I love seeing blitz packages again where someone gets a free run at the QB. It seems like the last I saw them on a consistent basis was back when Rob (the Good) Ryan was our DC.

    Without Haden and Skrine, our starting CBs, playing we are not going to look that strong. Gilbert has a ways to go... he'll have a role, but we knew he was being drafted for his potential. McFadden has a ways to go... several hundred miles down I-77. Berry looked decent. Can Desir (remember him?) get out of the tub?

    As much as I hate to admit Solomon Wilcotts says anything worth a damn, he nailed our Safeties situation... strong and with depth. Special Special-Teamer Leonhard's heads-up play has surprised me most of all.

    I thought Mingo had bulked up??? Looks like he melted in TC. Kirksey has been a surprise to me. I did not think a "decent" college OLB would look so good at ILB. Dansby is as billed. It'll be nice to see a FA live up to his promise. I still think Sheard and Kruger need to be in a D where their hands are on the ground. Carder vs. Diles may be the toughest cut-down call the staff faces. I think Diles stays. At OLB Staples looks safe, but I still like Westerman.

    And the best for last... our D-line... even the scrubs, Barnett and McDaniel looked decent. Have a feeling though that one vet, Hughes, may not make the 53...

  • Defense first...

    I love seeing blitz packages again where someone gets a free run at the QB. It seems like the last I saw them on a consistent basis was back when Rob (the Good) Ryan was our DC.

    Without Haden and Skrine, our starting CBs, playing we are not going to look that strong. Gilbert has a ways to go... he'll have a role, but we knew he was being drafted for his potential. McFadden has a ways to go... several hundred miles down I-77. Berry looked decent. Can Desir (remember him?) get out of the tub?

    As much as I hate to admit Solomon Wilcotts says anything worth a damn, he nailed our Safeties situation... strong and with depth. Special Special-Teamer Leonhard's heads-up play has surprised me most of all.

    I thought Mingo had bulked up??? Looks like he melted in TC. Kirksey has been a surprise to me. I did not think a "decent" college OLB would look so good at ILB. Dansby is as billed. It'll be nice to see a FA live up to his promise. I still think Sheard and Kruger need to be in a D where their hands are on the ground. Carder vs. Diles may be the toughest cut-down call the staff faces. I think Diles stays. At OLB Staples looks safe, but I still like Westerman.

    And the best for last... our D-line... even the scrubs, Barnett and McDaniel looked decent. Have a feeling though that one vet, Hughes, may not make the 53...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tour2ma said:

    Defense first...

    I love seeing blitz packages again where someone gets a free run at the QB. It seems like the last I saw them on a consistent basis was back when Rob (the Good) Ryan was our DC.

    Without Haden and Skrine, our starting CBs, playing we are not going to look that strong. Gilbert has a ways to go... he'll have a role, but we knew he was being drafted for his potential. McFadden has a ways to go... several hundred miles down I-77. Berry looked decent. Can Desir (remember him?) get out of the tub?

    As much as I hate to admit Solomon Wilcotts says anything worth a damn, he nailed our Safeties situation... strong and with depth. Special Special-Teamer Leonhard's heads-up play has surprised me most of all.

    I thought Mingo had bulked up??? Looks like he melted in TC. Kirksey has been a surprise to me. I did not think a "decent" college OLB would look so good at ILB. Dansby is as billed. It'll be nice to see a FA live up to his promise. I still think Sheard and Kruger need to be in a D where their hands are on the ground. Carder vs. Diles may be the toughest cut-down call the staff faces. I think Diles stays. At OLB Staples looks safe, but I still like Westerman.

    And the best for last... our D-line... even the scrubs, Barnett and McDaniel looked decent. Have a feeling though that one vet, Hughes, may not make the 53...

    It would be a damn shame if Hughes didn't make it. Aside from Weeden, he was the next big reach I was pissed about that ended up holding his own. (For the record I still think he could have been had later in the draft)

    I myself would have no issue keeping Hughes and letting Barnett or McDaniel sit on the practice squad a bit until they get more time in with a NFL conditioning staff. Both can be difference makers very soon. Especially in the AFC North when having run stoppers is critical in November - January.

    I've always liked Leonard. I have a soft spot for the smart, scappy defensive players that use their brains more than athletic ability. I also believe that with Haden and Skrine back at %100 health you'll see a greater emergence of Gipson.

    He's the best safety nobody is talking about. Teams now know they have to account for him and it would not shock me if he gets a pro-bowl alternate nod.

    Mingo might be a few pounds heavier, but I don't think he's quite 245. Close, but certainly not above it. The only thing that concerns me about Kiki is how the staff uses him. I know we like to align to the offenses strength, but if Mingo is on the backside of a play, he needs to be able to hold his ground against cutbacks or the counter. Especially not getting to far upside or flying down the LOS too fast.

    Honestly at this point between Sheard and Kruger I'm hoping both have strong seasons because they're essentially the same player. A good showing from both would be trade bait for a team with a need at pass rusher. Don't get me wrong, its nice to have either in with the 2nd team Dline to make sure that the pass rush stays consistent. But you're throwing good money at Kruger whilst you can't have Sheard on the field with him simultaneously barring very obvious passing downs.

  • Things I noticed watching the game:

    Mingo still needs to learn how to tackle - he's getting in to the backfield a lot this pre-season, but not wrapping up. Sometimes he gets a split sack/assist, sometimes the ball carrier gets away.

    Gilbert still needs to learn how to tackle - seems like he's going for the bigger play, the pick or the strip, rather than just wrapping up. Saw it against the rams, saw it again this morning/last night.

    Taylor Gabriel - this kid is making the 53, no question. Ray Farmer was looking for a UDFA to step up, looks like Gabriel's the guy. He just seems to to get open and make catches. Not to mention his return ability.

    Leon McFadden does *not* turn his head around to locate the ball. The big PI in the first quarter, he made a nice play breaking up the pass, but because he hadn't turned to look at the ball and was in contact with the receiver, he got flagged.

    Jim Dray - I'd forgotten about him. Didn't we give him like $5m?

    Nate Burleson had some nice catches, which is, erm, something. At least he didn't drop them. On this team that's enough to see him in the 53, my guess.

    Our whole D didn't look overly impressive, even though they were going against a 2nd string offense with a rookie QB. That is concerning.

    Terrence West - 6 carries, 13 yards. Again, unimpressive.

    willie snead had a mixed night, with one drop that was slightly behind him, and one nice catch/run on an crossing route.

    Marquis gray - why is he on the roster? He offered nothing in this game, to go with his fumbles in the previous game. Not a receiver. Not a great blocker.

    Rex Grossman looked like the backup he is. Some solid throws, some dodgy throws, knows the offense. Nothing unexpected.

    Charles Johnson showed up with a nice catch across the middle.

    Isiah Crowell finally got some time and looked decent against the 3s.

    Robert Nelson - who? Nice pick, good job locating the ball, though if the balls on target it's a completion because nelson's a step or two behind - why he got the pick. Didn't see anything else of him.

    3rd downs. Again. Not great.

    And JF - high risk, low reward so far. Looks very smooth running. Looks good throwing on the run. Looks a whole lot less good from the pocket. Another strip sack - at what point do we start to worry about ball security?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #24

    @gftchris said:

    Things I noticed watching the game:

    Taylor Gabriel - this kid is making the 53, no question. Ray Farmer was looking for a UDFA to step up, looks like Gabriel's the guy. He just seems to to get open and make catches. Not to mention his return ability.

    Leon McFadden does *not* turn his head around to locate the ball. The big PI in the first quarter, he made a nice play breaking up the pass, but because he hadn't turned to look at the ball and was in contact with the receiver, he got flagged.

    Marquis gray - why is he on the roster? He offered nothing in this game, to go with his fumbles in the previous game. Not a receiver. Not a great blocker.

    And JF - high risk, low reward so far. Looks very smooth running. Looks good throwing on the run. Looks a whole lot less good from the pocket. Another strip sack - at what point do we start to worry about ball security?

    Agree Gabriel makes the final 53. You forgot about Kirksey, who probably will start day 1 against the Steelers. Other than the fumbling, I like Gray to make the roster- he did have a couple nice catches.

    I agree with Tour- McFadden needs to be cut- like today. When he's not drawing a PI or holding call, he's getting beat like a drum. Another wasted pick.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I was pleased with how well Hoyer moved the team in his brief appearance. That bodes well for the season. JM still in the learning curve. you can bet he gets to see a lot of replays on his poor ball security this week with a message that unless that changes he does not see the field. I also thought Rex played decently and I hope he is retained. Best shot we have to keep all 4 is to waive Shaw and hope he clears to the practice squad. Grossman is the experienced backup this team needs at the moment.

    Got to find a way to retain Crowell-has some serious speed with that bowling ball build. I doubt he would clear waivers.

    Defense will be ready for Pitt. I like our chances!

    Thanks for refreshing my memory about the ball security issue with Manziel AG. 100% agree, you can't be holding the ball like a loaf of bread when you're scrambling around.

    🙂 Hoyer finally played last night like the guy we saw in those games last year. Yeah- it was against the scrubs, but encouraging nonetheless.

  • Don't be such a negative Nancy MD. Once he graduates from the thinking mode to the athletic player mode his passes will revert to what he really can do, throw with accuracy. You give up way too easy on someone still learning a totally new offense for him. He does not have Hoyer's's or Grossman's experience with the system. Neither did several great QB's in the league when they first started out.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    Don't be such a negative Nancy MD. Once he graduates from the thinking mode to the athletic player mode his passes will revert to what he really can do, throw with accuracy. You give up way too easy on someone still learning a totally new offense for him. He does not have Hoyer's's or Grossman's experience with the system. Neither did several great QB's in the league when they first started out.

    I have been saying this from the start. Johnny has all the tools, including INTELLIGENCE. He is not at fault for the simplistic offense from which he came. It just means he had far more to learn, which he is doing. As Tex stated so well, as soon as Johnny has learned & is totally comfortable with the playbook, reading Ds, etc, then it's ALL instincts. THEN he will light this league up! He has all the tools (but physical size): athleticism, intelligence, spirit, a HUGE competitive nature, and PRIDE! He is his own worst critic, & that makes for a winner. This old codger is totally sold on Johnny!

    Mike

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Don't be such a negative Nancy MD. Once he graduates from the thinking mode to the athletic player mode his passes will revert to what he really can do, throw with accuracy. You give up way too easy on someone still learning a totally new offense for him. He does not have Hoyer's's or Grossman's experience with the system. Neither did several great QB's in the league when they first started out.

    I have been saying this from the start. Johnny has all the tools, including INTELLIGENCE. He is not at fault for the simplistic offense from which he came. It just means he had far more to learn, which he is doing. As Tex stated so well, as soon as Johnny has learned & is totally comfortable with the playbook, reading Ds, etc, then it's ALL instincts. THEN he will light this league up! He has all the tools (but physical size): athleticism, intelligence, spirit, a HUGE competitive nature, and PRIDE! He is his own worst critic, & that makes for a winner. This old codger is totally sold on Johnny!

    Mike

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @canton-mike said:

    ... as soon as Johnny has learned & is totally comfortable with the playbook, reading Ds, etc, then it's ALL instincts.

    .. or then it's been learned...

    The key is knowing so you do not have to think. Knowledge is the product of learning... not "instincts".