might move back to Ohio
-
I worked with a guy that lived in Perry. He had a nice house and some land. He had a ravine that went down to the lake. But the nuke plant was less then a mile from his house and you could see it from his back yard.
He once told me that living that close to the plant, he got free electricity. Not sure if that is true or not.
I worked with a guy that lived in Perry. He had a nice house and some land. He had a ravine that went down to the lake. But the nuke plant was less then a mile from his house and you could see it from his back yard.
He once told me that living that close to the plant, he got free electricity. Not sure if that is true or not.
I grew up in Perry, lived right on the cliffs of the lake.. My family was one of the last NOT bought out for the Nuclear plant.. Still have family and a ton of friends in the township. If I had children to raise again, I be happy to raise them there. Power plant or not..
My response I guess was from the heart.. One of my fondest memories in life was one cold snowy winter night in about 64 or 65 when I vacated my 2nd story bedroom with my German Shepherd and my bed blanket to camp out on a ground floor FLOOR register with constant heat to pitch a tent over it with my blanket over the floor register and my dog underneath the blanket while I watched it snow out the window until I was sure there would be no school the next day..
That was in the days of coal burning furnaces down in the basement. And someone,, had to go down there periodically 24 hrs a day and either pull coal for the furnace out of the coal bin off to the side of the furnace with a snow type shovel, or at least stoke the coals in the furnace.. Usually both.. As kids we did it in shifts....
That power plant is 33 miles east of Cleveland.. If it goes Fukashima,, or Chernobyl, all the way to Toledo and the encompassing radius is fucked including well into Canada.. Which probably includes probably about 85% of the forum membership..
There are currently 62 commercially operating nuclear power plants with 100 nuclear reactors in 31 states in the United States...
I'll take it over a coal furnace

I was going to post a quality of life index until I looked at it closely, and those of Cleveland area suburbs.... yikes!!!
I'm glad I live in the 34217

Perry is still a soft spot for me

-
I worked with a guy that lived in Perry. He had a nice house and some land. He had a ravine that went down to the lake. But the nuke plant was less then a mile from his house and you could see it from his back yard.
He once told me that living that close to the plant, he got free electricity. Not sure if that is true or not.
I grew up in Perry, lived right on the cliffs of the lake.. My family was one of the last NOT bought out for the Nuclear plant.. Still have family and a ton of friends in the township. If I had children to raise again, I be happy to raise them there. Power plant or not..
My response I guess was from the heart.. One of my fondest memories in life was one cold snowy winter night in about 64 or 65 when I vacated my 2nd story bedroom with my German Shepherd and my bed blanket to camp out on a ground floor FLOOR register with constant heat to pitch a tent over it with my blanket over the floor register and my dog underneath the blanket while I watched it snow out the window until I was sure there would be no school the next day..
That was in the days of coal burning furnaces down in the basement. And someone,, had to go down there periodically 24 hrs a day and either pull coal for the furnace out of the coal bin off to the side of the furnace with a snow type shovel, or at least stoke the coals in the furnace.. Usually both.. As kids we did it in shifts....
That power plant is 33 miles east of Cleveland.. If it goes Fukashima,, or Chernobyl, all the way to Toledo and the encompassing radius is fucked including well into Canada.. Which probably includes probably about 85% of the forum membership..
There are currently 62 commercially operating nuclear power plants with 100 nuclear reactors in 31 states in the United States...
I'll take it over a coal furnace

I was going to post a quality of life index until I looked at it closely, and those of Cleveland area suburbs.... yikes!!!
I'm glad I live in the 34217

Perry is still a soft spot for me

I grew up in Perry, lived right on the cliffs of the lake.. My family was one of the last NOT bought out for the Nuclear plant.. Still have family and a ton of friends in the township. If I had children to raise again, I be happy to raise them there. Power plant or not..
My response I guess was from the heart.. One of my fondest memories in life was one cold snowy winter night in about 64 or 65 when I vacated my 2nd story bedroom with my German Shepherd and my bed blanket to camp out on a ground floor FLOOR register with constant heat to pitch a tent over it with my blanket over the floor register and my dog underneath the blanket while I watched it snow out the window until I was sure there would be no school the next day..
That was in the days of coal burning furnaces down in the basement. And someone,, had to go down there periodically 24 hrs a day and either pull coal for the furnace out of the coal bin off to the side of the furnace with a snow type shovel, or at least stoke the coals in the furnace.. Usually both.. As kids we did it in shifts....
That power plant is 33 miles east of Cleveland.. If it goes Fukashima,, or Chernobyl, all the way to Toledo and the encompassing radius is fucked including well into Canada.. Which probably includes probably about 85% of the forum membership..
There are currently 62 commercially operating nuclear power plants with 100 nuclear reactors in 31 states in the United States...
I'll take it over a coal furnace

I was going to post a quality of life index until I looked at it closely, and those of Cleveland area suburbs.... yikes!!!
I'm glad I live in the 34217

Perry is still a soft spot for me

I don't know. Cleveland southwest suburbs are pretty good for crime, schools, cost of living etc. I've lived all over the world and think its pretty good here. I like the four seasons. I wouldn't live in the city of Cleveland, but where I'm at now is good. I hated DC and its suburbs. San Diego was nice in spots, but very expensive and got sick of the same weather day after day. NY extremely expensive, crowded, etc. LA polluted shit hole. Never lived in FL though, but not crazy about the bugs, heat and humidity.
-
so does the whole state of California. there is no hunting season for wasteful liberals
-
I worked with a guy that lived in Perry. He had a nice house and some land. He had a ravine that went down to the lake. But the nuke plant was less then a mile from his house and you could see it from his back yard.
He once told me that living that close to the plant, he got free electricity. Not sure if that is true or not.
I grew up in Perry, lived right on the cliffs of the lake.. My family was one of the last NOT bought out for the Nuclear plant.. Still have family and a ton of friends in the township. If I had children to raise again, I be happy to raise them there. Power plant or not..
My response I guess was from the heart.. One of my fondest memories in life was one cold snowy winter night in about 64 or 65 when I vacated my 2nd story bedroom with my German Shepherd and my bed blanket to camp out on a ground floor FLOOR register with constant heat to pitch a tent over it with my blanket over the floor register and my dog underneath the blanket while I watched it snow out the window until I was sure there would be no school the next day..
That was in the days of coal burning furnaces down in the basement. And someone,, had to go down there periodically 24 hrs a day and either pull coal for the furnace out of the coal bin off to the side of the furnace with a snow type shovel, or at least stoke the coals in the furnace.. Usually both.. As kids we did it in shifts....
That power plant is 33 miles east of Cleveland.. If it goes Fukashima,, or Chernobyl, all the way to Toledo and the encompassing radius is fucked including well into Canada.. Which probably includes probably about 85% of the forum membership..
There are currently 62 commercially operating nuclear power plants with 100 nuclear reactors in 31 states in the United States...
I'll take it over a coal furnace

I was going to post a quality of life index until I looked at it closely, and those of Cleveland area suburbs.... yikes!!!
I'm glad I live in the 34217

Perry is still a soft spot for me

I grew up in Perry, lived right on the cliffs of the lake.. My family was one of the last NOT bought out for the Nuclear plant.. Still have family and a ton of friends in the township. If I had children to raise again, I be happy to raise them there. Power plant or not..
My response I guess was from the heart.. One of my fondest memories in life was one cold snowy winter night in about 64 or 65 when I vacated my 2nd story bedroom with my German Shepherd and my bed blanket to camp out on a ground floor FLOOR register with constant heat to pitch a tent over it with my blanket over the floor register and my dog underneath the blanket while I watched it snow out the window until I was sure there would be no school the next day..
That was in the days of coal burning furnaces down in the basement. And someone,, had to go down there periodically 24 hrs a day and either pull coal for the furnace out of the coal bin off to the side of the furnace with a snow type shovel, or at least stoke the coals in the furnace.. Usually both.. As kids we did it in shifts....
That power plant is 33 miles east of Cleveland.. If it goes Fukashima,, or Chernobyl, all the way to Toledo and the encompassing radius is fucked including well into Canada.. Which probably includes probably about 85% of the forum membership..
There are currently 62 commercially operating nuclear power plants with 100 nuclear reactors in 31 states in the United States...
I'll take it over a coal furnace

I was going to post a quality of life index until I looked at it closely, and those of Cleveland area suburbs.... yikes!!!
I'm glad I live in the 34217

Perry is still a soft spot for me

Ive been in Painesville Twp for the past 20 years......at vrooman rd, right on the perry border......a wonderful area if you like nice people, GREAT schools, room to stretch your legs, low crime rates and green spaces instead of cars(40 minutes to downtown) .....I grew up in Cleveland Hts, when it was an award winning city, but found Painesville to be a better place to raise my kids....
And I just drive 45 miles east to get to my cabin in Ashtabula.....total seclusion, great hunting, great fishing.....doesn't get any better.
In re to the nuke plant.....when I got my first Nuclear Emergency Kit in the mail and then found out they had Nuclear emergency drills at my kids schools, it did freak me out.....but really....it's just one of a billion things that might kill me.....and if it blows, Im so close it will be quick and painless.....
-
lol. so move to close radius to ground zero.
-
I worked with a guy that lived in Perry. He had a nice house and some land. He had a ravine that went down to the lake. But the nuke plant was less then a mile from his house and you could see it from his back yard.
He once told me that living that close to the plant, he got free electricity. Not sure if that is true or not.
Been on Nuclear ships, and other then having webbed toes and 7 fingers, I'm fine.
Been on Nuclear ships, and other then having webbed toes and 7 fingers, I'm fine.
aren't you born that way?
I'm pretty sure your body doesn't deform after you move near a nuke plant
-
I worked in a coal burning electric plant. It is in Avon, Ohio and I only worked inside for 3 weeks. It was closed down so the company I worked for could clean it out. This happened 2 times a year. I had a burning cough for 2 months after I quit working there. The company I worked for expected us to work 7 days a week at 12-16 hours a day. Cleaning and scrubbing all of that ASH out of that place.
I told the boss I didn't want to work 80 hours a week, he told me that I couldn't dictate to him when I wanted to work. I said the hell I can't dictate that.........I QUIT
He was floored that I stood up to him. But then again, most of the guys were pretty much unemployable and had no choice but work there
-
I'd look to the western burbs like rocky river, Westlake, Strongsville, Brunswick or Medina. Despite what people may tell you downtown still has no amenities and places like Tremont are hipster paradises but real people probably want to live somewhere that is actually nice.
If I wanted Cleveland area I would be more prone to look on the East side. Shaker Hts, Cleveland Hts. in close ....somewhere along the Shaker Rapid line which is excellent for commuting. Further out is Beachwood, University Hts. Pepper Pike...and even out to the Chagrin Valley communities of Moreland Hills/Gates Mills....but that is big bucks territory.
Of course there is also Chagrin Falls, which is one of the nicest smaller communities in America....though close to a major city.
If I wanted Cleveland area I would be more prone to look on the East side. Shaker Hts, Cleveland Hts. in close ....somewhere along the Shaker Rapid line which is excellent for commuting. Further out is Beachwood, University Hts. Pepper Pike...and even out to the Chagrin Valley communities of Moreland Hills/Gates Mills....but that is big bucks territory.
Of course there is also Chagrin Falls, which is one of the nicest smaller communities in America....though close to a major city.
That's the far east side, and not east Cleveland or East Cleveland (the municipality) . As for Chagrin Falls, academically it is one of the top public schools in the State - and the Real Estate might reflect that, but it is in a pretty setting, with good restaurants, etc.
-
They have some very good restaurants in Ohio City, Beachwood/Lyndhurst (Moxie I think the name is), downtown, etc. Commuting in Cleveland is much easier then in LA obviously so you can live in southern Cuyahoga, and commute to the east side for work easily.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login