Skip to content

all the love for Hoyer?

The Browns Board
21 20 1.3k
  • B brownie12 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by WalterWhite
    #2

    giphy.gif

  • Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    A Adoug319 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @brownie12 said:

    Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    You could've stopped after the first sentence. The man is a winner. Period

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #4

    who cares about how many completions a guy has....does he make plays when he has to? thats what wins games. this aint a dink an dunk offense, with high completion raes...its about making big plays downfield off playaction, and hoyer's been the best in the league at that

  • Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @brownie12 said:

    Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    The praise isn't for his stats. It's for his play. Similarly, his stats aren't low because of inefficiency but rather a lack of opportunity.

    Cleveland is first in rush percentage, first in rushing touchdowns, and third in rushing yards. That's why Hoyer only has 7 passing TD's. He's not getting the opportunity because we are focused heavily on the run game.

    Granted, his completion percentage has been slipping over the past two weeks, especially against Pittsburgh. However, before last week's game, Hoyer was ranked 19th in the league, ahead of the likes of Brady and Newton.

    To contradict your point about Hoyer being a detriment to Cleveland's offensive production, Football Outsiders actually calculates a quarterback's DYAR (Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement) and DVOA (Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average). According to them, Hoyer has performed 18% better, per play, than the average quarterback and has gotten 291 yards (58.2 per game) more than a replacement quarterback. In both categories, he's top-10.

    The stats are here if you'd like to take a look: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #6

    No thanks.

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    brownie12 = Johnny Manziel?

  • darkside5D darkside5 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @walterwhite said:

    giphy.gif

    HAHAHAHA That's a good one Walter. You wouldn't happen to be a retired postal worker would you?

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Hoyer is an above average QB. When was the last time we saw that Brownie?

  • B brownie12 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    all of your points are well taken... at least the NON rant points. I was just asking opinions. I am just a big stat guy, especially on % because that shows consistency over the long haul. His low % has just been a concern, hopefully the run game will continue to be strong.

  • all of your points are well taken... at least the NON rant points. I was just asking opinions. I am just a big stat guy, especially on % because that shows consistency over the long haul. His low % has just been a concern, hopefully the run game will continue to be strong.

    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by Manzier
    #11

    @brownie12 said:

    all of your points are well taken... ...... I am just a big stat guy, especially on % because that shows consistency over the long haul.....

    60% is a pretty standard average and not anything to worry about.

    And a "big stat guy" would know that. Consideriing only 15 have retired with a higher average and guys like Marino, Kelly, Moon and Fouts all finished with lower %'s, Id say it's a decent avg.

    Plus, it's early enough in the season, that one game really effects the numbers and isn't a good reflection of "consistency over the long haul". Last week he was 66%. Next week, who knows? So, you speak of consistency "over the long haul", but base opinion on "short haul" numbers??? (again, a "stat guy" would know better).

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    60 is the new 50...

  • Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @brownie12 said:

    Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    It's called a balanced attack.....We are #5 in scoring and #1 in rushing touchdowns....Thats what you want. ....Who would worry about that?.....

    Your last line basically says an unbalanced attack would be more productive than a balanced attack...... So are you saying 4 rushing touchdowns and 12 passing touchdowns would be better than 8 and 8 ? And a few more interceptions would make Hoyer better?

    Completely clueless....

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Russell Wilson was 63.1% last year, and he won the Super Bowl.

    Hoyer is at 60.4% following a very inaccurate day.

    Does 2.7% make that much of a difference?

    More importantly, he is getting us the much-needed "W," and is making very few mistakes with the football. I'm ready for this D to come to life following a good game against Rapistburger... Run the rock, Smart QB play, and Steady D... wins every time...

  • Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @brownie12 said:

    Hey, we are winning and winning is the most important thing. But, all I hear about is how Hoyer is playing at such a high level and everything. But according to NFL stats, his completion percentage is one of the lowest in the league 60.3%. Now, he has taken care of the ball, only 1 INT, which is great. But only 7 TD passes, again one of the lowest in the league. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but I am just saying his stats do NOT equal all the praise that he seems to be getting. Actually the offense would probably be more productive with a guy that throws 12-13 TDs and 3-4 INTs..

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000411370/article/cam-newton-among-qbs-whose-numbers-dont-tell-whole-story?campaign=Facebook_writers_brandt

    ^Quarterbacks playing better than their stats.

    Hoyer is the second one mentioned.

    We have a QB with a 99.5 rating and a winning record ... after 15 years in the desert, just wake up every morning and say "Thank you, Jesus, Thank you, Jesus!"

    Zombo

  • J J0hnnybg00d wrote on last edited by J0hnnybg00d
    #16

    This a a running team. Aren't we like 29 or 30th in pass attempts? Stick your stats where the sun don't shine.

  • all of your points are well taken... at least the NON rant points. I was just asking opinions. I am just a big stat guy, especially on % because that shows consistency over the long haul. His low % has just been a concern, hopefully the run game will continue to be strong.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @brownie12 said:

    all of your points are well taken... at least the NON rant points. I was just asking opinions. I am just a big stat guy, especially on % because that shows consistency over the long haul. His low % has just been a concern, hopefully the run game will continue to be strong.

    Hoyers shortest completion on Sunday was 17 yards or so I think. Guys looking down field and is usually making the right decision. No reason to complain.

  • K kbndawg wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I'm going to just enjoy the ride. Hell, at 4 o'clock on Sunday..........people are still sitting in the same room with me (which never happens during football season). Gotta give Hoyer props for that.

  • P PurplePantyWaste wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Welcome to the past eight years of Joe Flacco with the ravens.

    Wins> stats

  • A Andruw u wrote on last edited by
    #20

    If our defense plays worth a shit at Pitt and vs. Balt, we're 5-0 right now. That's with a half-healthy Jordan Cameron (making Andrew Hawkins the best receiver) and Ben Tate being out for 3 games.

    Part of all the crap last year (and since 1999) is having Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, etc. throw 50 passes a game (only 2-3 INTs was a miracle considering). Whether it's Hoyer or Manziel, we have a way better chance with 8/17/217, 1 TD/0 INT. Our turnover ratio is +3 and could be better if the defense was living up to its billing.