Skip to content

Can we talk about Shanahan?

The Browns Board
24 17 871
  • I think Shanny is OK. He's essentially a rookie, too, this being his first year out of the nest.

    In the beginning, under Hoyer, we saw a run-first O with PAP off of the run's success. It was effective.

    I am not a fan of the pistol, which dominates when JM is in. We do not run effectively out of it. It is not PAP conducive. It is not effective.

    But to be fair, most of the Pistol data is on the Mack-less O-line.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @tour2ma said:

    I think Shanny is OK. He's essentially a rookie, too, this being his first year out of the nest.

    In the beginning, under Hoyer, we saw a run-first O with PAP off of the run's success. It was effective.

    I am not a fan of the pistol, which dominates when JM is in. We do not run effectively out of it. It is not PAP conducive. It is not effective.

    But to be fair, most of the Pistol data is on the Mack-less O-line.

    A rookie.. Um no.. he's already coached Jay Cutler and RG3..

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think Shanny is OK. He's essentially a rookie, too, this being his first year out of the nest.

    In the beginning, under Hoyer, we saw a run-first O with PAP off of the run's success. It was effective.

    I am not a fan of the pistol, which dominates when JM is in. We do not run effectively out of it. It is not PAP conducive. It is not effective.

    But to be fair, most of the Pistol data is on the Mack-less O-line.

    A rookie.. Um no.. he's already coached Jay Cutler and RG3..

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @nickers said:

    A rookie.. Um no.. he's already coached Jay Cutler and RG3..

    That's what I'm saying here. I get what you're saying Tour that this is the first kid Shanny doesn't have his daddy to fall back on. I just feel very strongly his style of play doesn't work at a consistent level in the NFL. To me, he scripts what he's called A LOT. I'm going to assume he and Manziel are here next year. If so, I hope he takes a long look at things and realizes Manziel needs to win or lose from the pocket. The best pass he's had as a brown was the dart there in a normal, clean pocket. I'm not ready to lose all hope on Manziel but he will fail 100% if Shanny keeps calling the game like he has, that I'm sure of.

  • ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #23

    He should be getting some experience by now. He was OC at Texas for a couple years before joining Dad at Wash. So this should be his fifth year, 3 without Dad and 2 with him.

    He coached Jay Cutler???....No. You must be thinking of his Dad.

  • @nickers said:

    A rookie.. Um no.. he's already coached Jay Cutler and RG3..

    That's what I'm saying here. I get what you're saying Tour that this is the first kid Shanny doesn't have his daddy to fall back on. I just feel very strongly his style of play doesn't work at a consistent level in the NFL. To me, he scripts what he's called A LOT. I'm going to assume he and Manziel are here next year. If so, I hope he takes a long look at things and realizes Manziel needs to win or lose from the pocket. The best pass he's had as a brown was the dart there in a normal, clean pocket. I'm not ready to lose all hope on Manziel but he will fail 100% if Shanny keeps calling the game like he has, that I'm sure of.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @jrb12711 said:

    That's what I'm saying here. I get what you're saying Tour that this is the first kid Shanny doesn't have his daddy to fall back on. I just feel very strongly his style of play doesn't work at a consistent level in the NFL. To me, he scripts what he's called A LOT.

    I'm going to assume he and Manziel are here next year. If so, I hope he takes a long look at things and realizes Manziel needs to win or lose from the pocket. The best pass he's had as a brown was the dart there in a normal, clean pocket. I'm not ready to lose all hope on Manziel but he will fail 100% if Shanny keeps calling the game like he has, that I'm sure of.

    Bingo... thus my use of "out of the nest".

    The scripting is an interesting observation. I've commented before about his sacrificing plays to set up plays... kinda chess-like. So certainly having scripted pairs fits. Lately though it seems like teams are ready for both 1a and 1b.

    The 28 yard pass to Hawk is the play I'm sure you are referring to... and, yes, far and away, it was JM's best. But it had not only a secure pocket, but a comfortable throwing lane.