Skip to content

Derrick Ward Keen on Cleveland

The Browns Board
22 12 2.0k
  • @solon16 said:

    Just my lonely opinion man.....Rb's are better to groom than buy in my opinion and don't last very long after 28.

    I agree and disagree.

    In the big scope, sure, you are always smarter to build via the draft.

    Where I disagree is grooming RB's. Runningbacks don't need to be groomed just as a few other positions don't need grooming...DB's as an example. If you are good, you are as good as you get from the beginning.

    I don't know much about this guy, but we do need to use FA to fill some holes while we do build through the draft.

    If he is deemed to be one of those guys, so be it.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree and disagree.

    In the big scope, sure, you are always smarter to build via the draft.

    Where I disagree is grooming RB's. Runningbacks don't need to be groomed just as a few other positions don't need grooming...DB's as an example. If you are good, you are as good as you get from the beginning.

    I don't know much about this guy, but we do need to use FA to fill some holes while we do build through the draft.

    If he is deemed to be one of those guys, so be it.

    I agree that building through the draft is the best way to go, but with 4 draft picks we can't get a pass rusher, ILB, SS corner, center, DE, WR and RB.

    So, what positions do you draft and what positons do you fill with FA? Wouldn't it seem reasonable to grab the best players by need in FA and then set up a draft stratagy. If I can get a Ward or Gabril wilson or Jason Brown or Bart Scott then I can work around what I have with the limited draft picks.

    Yes, I would rather draft a 22 year old RB but then what position are you going neglect because you only have 3 more picks and a very tight cap.

    If I can get Ward at half of what I would have to pay Lewis, it is a no brainer for me. If somehow I can get an extra second round pick and a third round pick then I take my chances with drafting a RB. But reality is we have 4 draft picks and trading Anderson isn't a certain.

  • As Ytown alluded to, not everything can be fixed in a year through the draft. A guy like Ward can give us one more year to address RB in the draft and continue to work on this defense and possibly oline.

    I still think the Browns will keep 4 backs this year. Don't just discard Wright into the scrap heap, he's huge on specials and a guy they can really depend on. I think adding a guy like Ward at a reasonable cost is an excellent idea. He's a damn good back in a shared role and he hasn't been beaten down a lot in his career, so his 28 is not the same as JLew's 29.

    If this allows us to go after more needy positions and is cost effective, I'm down with it.