Skip to content

The Dumbest Calls in sports history

The Browns Board
23 12 1.1k
  • I agree - worst call in my books ... Perhaps in the history of a sports given the significance and probability of success. Also the Patriots should have called a time-out to preserve the clock - so two screw-ups (one by each team) on that play. Also, I don't blame Wilson as it's a timing throw, but I do blame the receiver. He has to make that collision so that an interception is not possible.

    I remember watching a CFL playoff game on TV. Doug Flutie playing for Calgary in -40 degrees in a semi-final to the Grey Cup game. Calgary needs a final drive TD and Flutie drives to the one yard line with about 2 seconds on the clock and they call a time out. Then Flutie takes himself out of the game? He is apparently so frozen solid that he doesn't have another play in him (and we know Flutie's a competitor so it had to true). In comes the "cold" back-up QB, last play of the game, do you run? Nope, they pass and it's incomplete. Maybe it's not as obvious as in the Super Bowl last night but I would have taken my chances on the ground and not expected my back-up QB to perform a pass play under those conditions.

    @frenchie said:

    I agree - worst call in my books ... Perhaps in the history of a sports given the significance and probability of success. Also the Patriots should have called a time-out to preserve the clock - so two screw-ups (one by each team) on that play. Also, I don't blame Wilson as it's a timing throw, but I do blame the receiver. He has to make that collision so that an interception is not possible.

    I remember watching a CFL playoff game on TV. Doug Flutie playing for Calgary in -40 degrees in a semi-final to the Grey Cup game. Calgary needs a final drive TD and Flutie drives to the one yard line with about 2 seconds on the clock and they call a time out. Then Flutie takes himself out of the game? He is apparently so frozen solid that he doesn't have another play in him (and we know Flutie's a competitor so it had to true). In comes the "cold" back-up QB, last play of the game, do you run? Nope, they pass and it's incomplete. Maybe it's not as obvious as in the Super Bowl last night but I would have taken my chances on the ground and not expected my back-up QB to perform a pass play under those conditions.

    Don't they play the Grey Cup final in a neutral site? They should. And given that it is Canada they should always play it in one of their domes. The BC dome, or the Skydome....and do they still play games in the Big O in Montreal? Is that where the Alouettes play?

  • Chris Webber's timeout still boggles my mind.

    Dustin Johnson not realizing he was in a bunker at the U.S. Open a couple years ago...though he was probably fucked up.

  • Screw the call at the goal line. I think weve already learned that the coin toss pretty much decides it. Bullychick screwed up the whole thing by calling heads, but then Pete Carroll double blew it and lost the game as soon as he deferred.

    Everything else that happened after that matters not.