mock draft thread
-
So our "pre-combine" board is supposedly:
- M. Mariota (QB)
- M. Williams (TE)
- B. Scherff ("OL")
- E. Goldman (DT)
- D. Shelton (DT)
- D. Parker (WR)
- K. White (WR)
Idiot article starting with "need"...
So our "pre-combine" board is supposedly:
- M. Mariota (QB)
- M. Williams (TE)
- B. Scherff ("OL")
- E. Goldman (DT)
- D. Shelton (DT)
- D. Parker (WR)
- K. White (WR)
Idiot article starting with "need"...
In order.
Mariota - Simply, no thank you.
Williams - Great vertical threat from him. I'd take the pick depending on where he falls.
Schreff - We already know how we feel on that one.
Goldman - I don't get this guy or any hype around him. One trick pony who is slightly about average stopping the run. He won't be a very good NT, and offers next to nothing in pass rush.
Shelton - Yes, please. Should be our #1 in ANY scenario. (I'm more and more doubting he falls past Chicago)
Parker - I don't see it. When I think of a 1st round WR, I think of AJ Green. This kid is no Green and I absolutely would not at 12.
White - Potential to be the next Fitz. How high you'd like to place a value you on that?... not sure.
-
I'm feeling the same on Shelton. So...
Assuming Williams falls to #3: Do you go after him?
If no, then do you try to get Shelton before the Bears can or do you wait and tab Brown?
I'm feeling the same on Shelton. So...
Assuming Williams falls to #3: Do you go after him?
If no, then do you try to get Shelton before the Bears can or do you wait and tab Brown?
I wouldn't touch Williams in the 1st. He's good, but not THAT good.
In regards to Shelton. In a draft this deep with quality talent, I'm not moving up to take anyone. Let other franchises make that mistake. I actually had a scenario in mind if Shelton was gone. I'd trade down BOTH 1st round picks. 12 and 19. If I get two back half 1st rounders and 2 extra 2nd round picks then I've now secure 5 picks in the top 55.
In my crazy mind, I take two players to supplement what Shelton can do. I'll take Carl Davis and Michael Bennett.
(Lets be real, barring a career season for Big Phil, he won't be back after this year)
Tell the AFCN you're not fucking running the ball on us. Period. The toughness and mentality that brings.
Your guards better be ELITE pass protectors. Because the shortest path to a QB is a straight line and we have TWO 3 tech monsters in Bennett and Desmond.
Give the team the unit identity to hang its hat on. Top 5 units in BOTH lines.
Look at all the good teams in the NFL. They all have an identity.
In Dallas its the Oline and skill positions.
In Seattle its the Dline and running game.
In San Fran its both lines and the running game.
In Denver its the QB, receivers and pass rush.
In New England its the QB and the secondary.
In Detroit its the Dline and receivers.
You see the trend.
Sure, my idea is borderline crazy considering all the needs. But...I guarantee our linebackers would be clean, secondary benefits from less time covering and the offense benefits from having a defense that can get them the ball back more.
If by some small miracle Orchard slips to the 11 spot in the 2nd, give me him as well. Then take your best available WR, OG/OT, TE and QB.
edit: Brings a college phrase to mind. Recruit for defense, coach for offense.
-
I'd Take Shelton, but if gone take Collins or Peat at OT and Goldman next. Davis if Goldman is gone by then. I would not move up for anyone in the 1st round.
-
brown, shelton, perryman....
first 3 picks.
golden.
-
VesnaKociper said:
If the Browns draft an OL in the first round, they truly are the jackoff team of the NFL.
Who WOULD you like to see them take?
-
The more I read, the more it seems like Mariota being their favorite is not a smokescreen.
Some facts contributing to this:
- Mariota is Kevin O'Connell, version 2.0. They have very similar measurements, very similar playing styles and had very similar results in college (granted, Mariota did it on a much larger scale).
- Mariota was working with Kevin O' Connell.
- Haslam was in love with Chip Kelly. The next best thing is getting an Oregon QB.
- We're stupid.
- Flip is credited with developing Derek Carr, another prototypical sized QB with all of the tools but questions about his offensive system.
- Jimmy Haslam.
- The supposed "pre-combine draft board leak".
- We're stupid.
However, if that's the guy they have #1 at the top of their board...you do what you can to take him. Whatever it takes. If that's the guy you've pegged as your franchise savior, you go get him and sink or swim with him.
-
if they went up to get mariota i wouldn't hate it. sure he's not built like winston but he's sure as hell a lot smarter than he is.
IMO throwing 3 picks out the window for one pick doesn't make sense unless it's the final piece of the puzzle needed to put you over the top.
the browns aren't there yet.
-
If there going to go up to get a QB id rather it be Mariotta then Winston.(i myself think its to steep price for either honestly.
Why i tend think Winston is more pro ready year 1 the reason id go Mariotta over him is simple he does not have the off field issues of Winston!!!! People talk bout Manziels off field problems well Winston was accused sexual assault, stealing crab legs i do not think id want that on my team.
I like the idea staying put in draft trying to trade for a glennon or a bradford if he is cut also sorta like the tennesee qb if they draft 1
-
if they went up to get mariota i wouldn't hate it. sure he's not built like winston but he's sure as hell a lot smarter than he is.
IMO throwing 3 picks out the window for one pick doesn't make sense unless it's the final piece of the puzzle needed to put you over the top.
the browns aren't there yet.
IMO throwing 3 picks out the window for one pick doesn't make sense unless it's the final piece of the puzzle needed to put you over the top.
When has that ever applied to QB? I understand the argument about the QB not being the first piece, but now he has to be the last?
Nah... if MM is legitimately seen by our FO as "the one", and not merely "the best one within our reach in the draft this year", then go get him...
-
i'm just saying the skilled position players on offense should be considering AFTER the lines are built, the defense is set. sure take the QB when that's done. it's not like russell wilson went into seattle like couch came into cleveland or bradford into st. louis or.........how many examples do you need?
the worse way to build a team is drafting a QB as the FIRST priority. i know the browns are not starting from scratch but the throwing the 3 draft picks out the window for the 1 argument still holds true IMO.
-
IMO throwing 3 picks out the window for one pick doesn't make sense unless it's the final piece of the puzzle needed to put you over the top.
When has that ever applied to QB? I understand the argument about the QB not being the first piece, but now he has to be the last?
Nah... if MM is legitimately seen by our FO as "the one", and not merely "the best one within our reach in the draft this year", then go get him...
When has that ever applied to QB? I understand the argument about the QB not being the first piece, but now he has to be the last?
Nah... if MM is legitimately seen by our FO as "the one", and not merely "the best one within our reach in the draft this year", then go get him...
Though it may be irrelevant now - I'd like to know how they viewed Manziel. If he was 'the one' to them, which would make sense considering they traded back up to get him.... Then you'd hope those familiar feelings would creep up and they'd stay the hell away.
-
-
-
If either OTs Peat or Collins are still there after the first 11, I would surely be tempted. Especially if DT's Shelton and Brown are already off the board. Just can't pass on that kind of talent.
-
Grossi's first Mock :
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=42501
#1 - Winston
#2 - Mariota
#12 - WR DeVante Parker, Louisville
#19 - DT Malcom Brown, Texas
With TB saying Glennon is going to be their Starter/Franchise QB . . . I'm wondering if they take DT Williams instead.
WR @12?
I'm not sure I'm feeling it yet . . . maybe @19 . . . need to see Combine numbers to get some performance numbers.
-
The more I watch the wide receivers, the less I'm impressed with them.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
