Skip to content

Gruden Says Rey is his Favorite Player in the Draft

The Browns Board
24 11 1.6k
  • How do you know that Andre Smith is better than a guy you've never seen play?

    I thought Jason Smith was pretty impressive in the Texas game. He completely neutralized Sergio Kindle and looked great blocking on the move. And he's not a moron, which is a plus.

    Aloysius said:

    How do you know that Andre Smith is better than a guy you've never seen play?

    I thought Jason Smith was pretty impressive in the Texas game. He completely neutralized Sergio Kindle and looked great blocking on the move. And he's not a moron, which is a plus.

    Maybe I'm being a little unfair on limited assessment but aren't we all doing this to an extent Aloy? USUALLY, when they say this guy is the best tackle in the draft - his BEST highlights show someone he's blocking landing on their fanny or being stopped in their tracks in pass protection. I didn't feel like I was looking at the best blocker in the draft. That doesn't mean he won't turn out decent BUT you're telling me he's the #1 tackle in the draft and basing it on 1 good day vrs a kid from Texas and hearsay right? Don't forget Nat Dorsey of Ga Tech shut out Julius Peppers but he wasn't drafted until round 4.

    I've seen ALOT of Andre Smith to know he was the difference between Bama being ELITE and worthy of losing to Utah in his absence. I call that a difference maker. If you're unsure and you like going by 1 matchup - watch Andre vrs GA and tell me what you think. I REALIZE Jason was a TE so people see athlete and upside; BUT if we're being honest at who had the more dominating year it was Andre.

    THAT is why I feel bad for the kid for being DUMBER than a pile of rocks. He's not falling because he's on drugs or got into trouble with the law. He's falling because he doesn't even have a SMART agent or anyone guiding him to a lottery for one of the best skilled blockers in this draft. I can't blame people for losing interest either. He blew off job interviews - taht ain't smart!

    [b]- Tom F. [/b]

  • Not sure that good to great pass-blocking is something that is conveyed well by 30 second highlight packages. That was my point; you need to watch more of the guy before concluding that he isn't better than Andre Smith, especially if you're going to use that conclusion as part of an argument about Mayock's o-line scouting skills.

  • @jc said:

    Laurinaitis will be better than Maualuga in the NFL IMO. I don't think Rey has it upstairs. Anyway, I am still on the Curry bandwagon with our #5 pick.

    I'll take that bet! Hell I go as far as say Brian Cushing will be better than JL at ILB.

    @solon16 said:

    I'll take that bet! Hell I go as far as say Brian Cushing will be better than JL at ILB.

    It's a bet...let's say one virtual beer for the winner. 😉

  • Not sure that good to great pass-blocking is something that is conveyed well by 30 second highlight packages. That was my point; you need to watch more of the guy before concluding that he isn't better than Andre Smith, especially if you're going to use that conclusion as part of an argument about Mayock's o-line scouting skills.

    Aloysius said:

    Not sure that good to great pass-blocking is something that is conveyed well by 30 second highlight packages. That was my point; you need to watch more of the guy before concluding that he isn't better than Andre Smith, especially if you're going to use that conclusion as part of an argument about Mayock's o-line scouting skills.

    Why are you getting all sensitive on me? If I really knew what the Hell I was talking about I'd get paid for my opinions. The world isn't ready for that so let me just give you the illogical world according Flugel.

    IMO, anyone that tells me Andre Smith is the 3rd best Tackle isn't going to be my go-to oline guru. When Mayock is saying "here is the guy I think is the #1 tackle in this draft" and he's describing the 2nd coming of Anthony Munoz while I'm seeing footage of a finesser that couldn't finish or maintain either of the blocks he's endorsing the kid with - I don't buy the presentation. As I've said, I think Mayock is more in love with the idea that Jason was a former TE and he has a long wing span but I don't think he keeps good leverage from the hips down, which was why he couldn't finish. Maybe that's coachable but #1????

    In fairness, I've complimented Mayock up the wazoo this weekend because he does a FANTASTIC job of covering the combines and pre-draft shows. However, I don't get the impression oline is his best area of expertise. He was a corner so I LOVE hearing his perceptions of receivers, QBs, RBs, DBs, pass rushers and even LBers.

    Here's a few cut and pastes from various articles that support the theory hat Andre Smith is better than #3 among his peers playing Offensive Tackle:

    "As if you didn't know by watching ESPN, Alabama left tackle Andre Smith just won the 2008 Outland Trophy, an award given to the nation's best lineman. The Birmingham native allowed just one sack in a dominating year. "

    From Wikipedia:

    "Andre Smith, Jr. (born January 25, 1987 in Birmingham, Alabama) is an All-American offensive tackle for the Alabama Crimson Tide football program. Considered the best run blocker in college football of the past five years,[1] some experts described him as possibly the most dominating offensive lineman to enter college football since Orlando Pace."

    2008 AP All-America Team

    Offense

    Pos Player Ht Wt Cl. School

    QB Sam Bradford 6-4 215 Soph. Oklahoma

    RB Shonn Greene 5-11 235 Jr. Iowa

    RB Javon Ringer 5-9 202 Sr. Michigan State

    WR Michael Crabtree 6-3 214 Soph. Texas Tech

    WR Dez Bryant 6-2 210 Soph. Oklahoma State

    TE Chase Coffman 6-6 245 Sr. Missouri

    OT Andre Smith 6-5 330 Jr. Alabama

    OT Michael Oher 6-5 318 Sr. Mississippi

    OG Duke Robinson 6-5 330 Sr. Oklahoma

    OG Herman Johnson 6-5 350 Sr. LSU

    C Antoine Caldwell 6-3 305 Sr. Alabama

    2008 AFCA Coaches’ All-America Team

    Offense Pos. Name Ht. Wt. Cl. School Coach Hometown (High School)

    WR Michael Crabtree* 6-3 208 So. Texas Tech Mike Leach Dallas, Texas (Carter)

    WR Dez Bryant 6-2 215 So. Oklahoma St. Mike Gundy Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin)

    TE Chase Coffman 6-6 255 Sr. Missouri Gary Pinkel Peculiar, Mo. (Raymore-Peculiar)

    OL Andre Smith 6-4 330 Jr. Alabama Nick Saban Birmingham, Ala. (Huffman)

    OL Brandon Carter 6-7 350 Jr. Texas Tech Mike Leach Longview, Texas (Spring Hill)

    C Antoine Caldwell 6-3 305 Sr. Alabama Nick Saban Montgomery, Ala. (Lee)

    OL Michael Oher 6-5 318 Sr. Mississippi Houston Nutt Memphis, Tenn. (Briarcrest Christian)

    OL Andy Levitre 6-3 317 Sr. Oregon St. Mike Riley Ben Lomond, Calif. (San Lorenzo Valley)

    QB Graham Harrell 6-3 205 Sr. Texas Tech Mike Leach Ennis, Texas (Ennis)

    RB Knowshon Moreno 5-11 208 So. Georgia Mark Richt Belford, N.J. (Middletown South)

    RB Shonn Greene 5-11 235 Jr. Iowa Kirk Ferentz Sicklerville, N.J. (Milford Acad. [Conn.])

    - Tom F.