Skip to content

Detroit on the clock

The Browns Board
25 9 2.0k
  • W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I think you can throw trends out the window.

    This is a new regime...and they are going to make the team over in THEIR fashion...not based on any team history.

    I think a far more telling stat is the sacks allowed over the past 3 seasons:

    2006: 63

    2007: 54

    2008: 52

    That is 169 sacks in just 3 years...and SCREAMS for help on the OL.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I don't think you can abstract the discussion away from the actual prospects Detroit might take at #1.

    Which OT should the Lions take? Jason Smith is great, but he may be a better fit for a ZBS. Eugene Monroe may have the highest floor, but there are questions about his effort & smarts. Andre Smith's the kind of dominant run-blocker that Scott Linehan wants, but he's taken himself out of consideration with his antics this weekend.

    I'm not sure what direction Detroit will go in. But I could see them picking a guy like Oher at #20, playing him at LG for a year or two until he's ready to move out to tackle. Depending on how Gosder Cherilus develops, they could even move Oher to RT.

  • I think you can throw trends out the window.

    This is a new regime...and they are going to make the team over in THEIR fashion...not based on any team history.

    I think a far more telling stat is the sacks allowed over the past 3 seasons:

    2006: 63

    2007: 54

    2008: 52

    That is 169 sacks in just 3 years...and SCREAMS for help on the OL.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I think you can throw trends out the window.

    This is a new regime...and they are going to make the team over in THEIR fashion...not based on any team history.

    I think a far more telling stat is the sacks allowed over the past 3 seasons:

    2006: 63

    2007: 54

    2008: 52

    That is 169 sacks in just 3 years...and SCREAMS for help on the OL.

    Who do you think they will take?

    I personally don't see that from all that I have been reading the word is the OL are not as good as years past and not to many are worth a first round pick let alone a fisrt overall. I say they go free agency heck maybe even Jeff Saturday at center and start building around him in the latter rounds. That may be a little out there but I don't study the Lions much but you do make a good point about the sacks

  • I don't think you can abstract the discussion away from the actual prospects Detroit might take at #1.

    Which OT should the Lions take? Jason Smith is great, but he may be a better fit for a ZBS. Eugene Monroe may have the highest floor, but there are questions about his effort & smarts. Andre Smith's the kind of dominant run-blocker that Scott Linehan wants, but he's taken himself out of consideration with his antics this weekend.

    I'm not sure what direction Detroit will go in. But I could see them picking a guy like Oher at #20, playing him at LG for a year or two until he's ready to move out to tackle. Depending on how Gosder Cherilus develops, they could even move Oher to RT.

    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Aloysius said:

    I don't think you can abstract the discussion away from the actual prospects Detroit might take at #1.

    Which OT should the Lions take? Jason Smith is great, but he may be a better fit for a ZBS. Eugene Monroe may have the highest floor, but there are questions about his effort & smarts. Andre Smith's the kind of dominant run-blocker that Scott Linehan wants, but he's taken himself out of consideration with his antics this weekend.

    I'm not sure what direction Detroit will go in. But I could see them picking a guy like Oher at #20, playing him at LG for a year or two until he's ready to move out to tackle. Depending on how Gosder Cherilus develops, they could even move Oher to RT.

    Alo...I agree the OT's have been dinged a bit by the media...but I also remember JT being called out for not being strong enough to handle the bull rush before we took him at #3...and look how that turned out.

    I am just saying...I am not sure any of these guys are out of the running. When your line is giving up 3+ sacks per game for the past 3 years....you MUST fix it...and the top of the draft is the best way (See Cleveland and Miami).

  • Yep, there's a lot of smoke being laid down these days. I don't make much out of what any coach or GM says publicly between the Shrine Game and Draft Day.

    I will say this: I wouldn't want to be where the Lions are right now. I wouldn't want that first pick this year, with their needs. There's almost certain to overpay.

    Also, can anyone tell me he last good QB to come out of Georgia? Has Mark Richt ever produced a NFL QB?

    D damajuki wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    Yep, there's a lot of smoke being laid down these days. I don't make much out of what any coach or GM says publicly between the Shrine Game and Draft Day.

    I will say this: I wouldn't want to be where the Lions are right now. I wouldn't want that first pick this year, with their needs. There's almost certain to overpay.

    Also, can anyone tell me he last good QB to come out of Georgia? Has Mark Richt ever produced a NFL QB?

    Is David Greene still holding on somewhere? He's the last UGA QB I can think of that even had a cup of coffee in the League.