Skip to content

Shaffer released

The Browns Board
59 34 4.3k
  • Khalif Barnes would be an excellent pickup at RT, the Jags averaged over 6 ypc behind him last season and i think he'd be a better right tackle....

  • his contract was ludicrous when we signed him to it, but the timing of this is what really makes no sense. it completely tips our draft hand unless we're counting on signing a stopgap solution like khalif barnes, orlando pace or marvel smith.

    rich, prepare to be thrilled by the new regime's first draft pick, a top-five tackle. i'm as excited about it as you are.

  • Khalif Barnes would be an excellent pickup at RT, the Jags averaged over 6 ypc behind him last season and i think he'd be a better right tackle....

    @standish said:

    Khalif Barnes would be an excellent pickup at RT, the Jags averaged over 6 ypc behind him last season and i think he'd be a better right tackle....

    He's had some off the field issues. Doesn't seem like a Mangini type.

  • @we-need-tom-tupa said:

    That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.

    I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.

    Aloysius said:

    I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.
    Even so, he's going to have to sign a new deal with someone now. Before we cut him, we couldve charged a draft pick for the right to give him his new contract. Oh, well. My POV on this isnt exactly rocket science. I'm sure it was considered. I just hate to see us lose contributing players for nothing.
  • another participant of last years shitfest released!!! I love it.

    All this kicking of dead weight to the curb has put me in a good mood.

    Win or lose next year at least last years losers won't be seeing my $$ (at least not all of them)

    Kinda like fireworks- can't wait for the grand finale

  • It could be that we didn't trade him because, according to Shaffer's agent, we're still interested in re-signing him to a cheaper deal.

  • Another one bites the dust!

    My take is he wasn't worth his pay or up to the Mankock Standard.

  • @jewdago said:

    cool. let's release a bunch of dudes who we don't have replacements for. sounds like a great idea to me. mankok knows that we only have five draft picks, right?

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    @solon16 said:

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    Hmmm...seems I have mentioned Oline on a few occasions.

    O-line, tackle to be exact, is the top end strength of this draft.

    If you think you will need a O-tackle sometime in the next 5 years, this is a good year to get that done.

    That, or we feel pretty good about that O-lineman who visited.

  • I predicted this may happen in about three different threads the last week or so. Not a shock to me at all. Dude was overpaid from the get go.

    @riffer-x said:

    I predicted this may happen in about three different threads the last week or so. Not a shock to me at all. Dude was overpaid from the get go.

    Wasn't Shaffer the person who got beat by his guy and caused/allowed the injuries to both Anderson and Quinn?

  • Shaffer whiffed and got Anderson killed. I think Quinn got hurt from constant pressure up the middle by Fraley and Hadnever.

  • Shaffer was also responsible for Frye's broken wrist in '06.

  • Come on - I can't believe so many people are surprised by this move. They guy was a horrible FA pickup, waaaayyyyyy overpaid and too slow.

    I see nothing wrong with this move.

  • @jewdago said:

    cool. let's release a bunch of dudes who we don't have replacements for. sounds like a great idea to me. mankok knows that we only have five draft picks, right?

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    @solon16 said:

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    A #5 right tackle? I don't think so.

  • I won't miss him. He had a cool beard tho.

  • A #5 right tackle? I don't think so

    Levi Brown

  • A #5 right tackle? I don't think so

    Levi Brown

    @greythan said:

    Levi Brown

    To protect the blind side of a left-handed QB (or at least that was the plan).

  • A #5 right tackle? I don't think so

    Levi Brown

    @greythan said:

    Levi Brown

    It's not going to happen. You don't draft a right tackle with the 5th overall pick....Unless it is as Alo said, to protect a lefty.

    I'm just not sure who they'll sign....Kahlif Barnes? Draft and start a rookie that they draft somewhere in rounds 2 or 4?

    I'm wondering If Shaffer is not coming back with a new deal.

  • A #5 right tackle? I don't think so

    Levi Brown

    @greythan said:

    Levi Brown

    Perhaps we could look at Levi's replacement at PSU, Gerald Cadogen. Might be had in the 2nd round or so.

  • They say were looking at adam goldberg from the rams... he's supposed to be average and has played everywhere on the line... i think he's only 27 too maybe that has something to do with shaffers release

  • @solon16 said:

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    A #5 right tackle? I don't think so.

    oldcow1945 said:

    A #5 right tackle? I don't think so.

    Right!

    I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but I'll say it again. To me, putting a #5 overall OT at RT would be a waste of his talent. He'd be overqualified. It sounds oh so delicious, but in the end, it's not the smartest use of a #5 overall pick, especially with the multitude of needs we have.

    -Al